We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Photographing in Merida

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Kansas City, MO
3 posts
Save Topic
Photographing in Merida

I am looking for some unique neighborhoods or buildings in Merida. Perhaps areas with color outside of the normal touristy sections. Obviously I don't want to be in the rough neighborhoods, just ones that have character. Can someone who has been there or lives there tell me some great streets to photograph. Any help with be appreciated,

Thanks,

Kipp

Minnesota, USA
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Photographing in Merida

Are you a photographer? Well along Paseo Montejo there are several nice houses and buildings. If you go off one street there are more traditional style housing, old but nice for photographs. Places closer to the Plaza are also very creative.

Angela

MN
Level Contributor
324 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Photographing in Merida

I don't think there really are any 'rough' neigborhoods. Alot of the houses, stores, and other buildings you see may look really run down with lots of junk thrown around, but the people are as nice as you'll ever meet. As you're going around taking pics it's a good idea to ask people first, particularly if they'll be in the shot (or it looks like they will be). You'll also likely enjoy the interaction.

Merida, Mexico
Level Contributor
106 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Photographing in Merida

I'm a photographer who lives here. Yes, people generally don't like their picture taken...and some of them may even ask you to pay for it. As you can understand, you won't be the first person prowling around Merida with a camera. And they don't feel particularly picturesque...just put upon. On the other hand, there is so much to photograph, its hard to know where to start. You won't be in any danger wherever you go. You can walk ten blocks in any direction from the centro and be out of the regular touristy area.

*except* Paseo Montejo which has been photographed ad nauseum.

good luck!

Get answers to your questions about Merida