We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel with 2 kids and 8days in Merida- HELP!

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Merida hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Portland, OR
Level Contributor
8 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Travel with 2 kids and 8days in Merida- HELP!

Hi,

I am travelling with 2 small kids ( 1 and 3yrs ) and spending 8 days in Merida. We would like to be a bit adventurous and also have fun during the trip. I am hoping I can go to Chichen Itza ( night and 1day ), Uxmal ( day trip ), 1 day trip to Celestun ( take the flamingo boat ride ) and few days to relax and spend in Merida. I have a bunch of questions and would really appreciat eht help with planning:

I would really like to find out how to travel ( whether to rent a car or take a taxi for the day trips, if so how much would a taxi for the whole day cost - say from Merida to Uxmal and back to Merida for 2 adults and 2 kids? Can you tell me the same for Merida-Celestun-Merida

Is renting a car safe in Merida?

Do you think we could take a bus to Uxmal and Celestun - are there direct buses? If we took a bus to Celestun, how far is the flamingo boat trip area from the bus stop - is it near by? Do you think it might be a good idea to stay at Celestun or would a day trip suffice.

I would like to stick to day trips as it is very hard to cart luggages and kids between hotels.

I would like to return back to Merida and keep Merida as the base.

If we took the bus to Uxmal I heard that lunch at Hacienda Ochil is very good - does the bus stop there?

If we took a retal car, where would we get maps?Also is there parking near the streets in Merida and do the restaurants provide parking?

I am really excited about this trip and truly appreciate any help you can provide me.

Thanks very much

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
8 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Travel with 2 kids and 8days in Merida- HELP!

Again thank you very much :-)

I am not able to find any accomodation at Hacienda Chichen :-( Is there anyway you can help me find accomodation there? Or do you suggest any other place to stay at Chichen Itza? If not, I am even open to staying at Vallolid? Any suggestions to stay there?

THanks very much!

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
42,408 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Travel with 2 kids and 8days in Merida- HELP!

To me, I prefer to stay in Valladolid versus the Chichen area. My favorite is the Hotel Zaci, very close to the main square with nice grounds and all the amenities including a pool and free parking. Many will recommend the Hotel Meson del Marques which, in my opninon is overrated and overpriced. Also handles many bus tours.

13. Re: Travel with 2 kids and 8days in Merida- HELP!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 pm, September 11, 2009