We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How about buses to places around Merida?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
334 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
How about buses to places around Merida?

For some reason I can't access schedules for ADO. Can you do a bus to Chichen Itza and Ek Balam in the same day and not be rushed, getting to Chichen Itza in the morning befor the cruise tours hit it? I want to do a "spokes of a wheel" kind of thing with Merida as a base - Progreso, Campeche, Puuc Route, etc. and stay overnight away from Merida only once or twice ALL BY BUS. Can it be done?

The rental car thing got to be $$$$ and I'm still nervous about it. We're doing the frequent flyer thing to Merida from SLC so I'd like to continue the money saving premise. AND it's all B&B for us, with any suggestions anyone might have.

In Merida proper, we'll do the bus/taxi/walk thing and should be fine. Oh, yeah, we're there in mid-March.

Thanks!

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
1,309 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How about buses to places around Merida?

We drove every state in mexico over a 4 month period and the Yucutan state was by far the best. If it is too costly then i can understand but if you are worried about driving in that area, i would say that the roads were excellent and we went off the beaten path often (sometimes on purpose but lots by accident) and we had a great time touring around. Lots of nice B&B's all over and many sites to see. It's a good way to see the area at your own pace and we found the driving good. Just keep in mind that you should obey the road signs, even if no one else does. Road signs are only designed as suggestions for local residents. Have fun

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
44,444 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How about buses to places around Merida?

You can do the bus to most any point from Merida--but much will be second class to the smaller points. Second class are fine--only making more stops. Best site for ADO is www.ticketbus.com.mx but you will not find the small points you are looking for listed.

Plenty of B and Bs in Merida but they are a rarity in the smaller areas .

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
334 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How about buses to places around Merida?

4 the record - We would be using a smaller, fuel efficient car for the 2 of us. Did you find that the price of insurance was about equal to the rental price? I checked AIG TravelGuard for insurance and they seemed pretty reasonable - with the price the same as rental.

Our flight leaves early on March 26 so we need to do the key drop-off wherever we rent. Is that as easy in Mexico as it is in the US?

I'll weigh the good vs bad on this one with TA's help.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
1,309 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How about buses to places around Merida?

We drove our on vehicle and purchased insurance through an insurance company on line prior to going. We paid 300.00 U.S for a 6 month policy for full coverage. We did have an accident in a different state of Mexico and we had an english speaking adjusted come out within the hour. we had our vehicle fixed when we got back home to Canada and the insurance company sent out a cheque to cover the damage. I wondered if those on line policies were for real!!! But i guess they are. I am not sure what the cost is when you rent. I don't know anything about key drops, not sure what that is. We rented a place on the beach in Puerto Telchac. Another good site that i liked for the Merida area and the yucatan is (merida insider)

5. Re: How about buses to places around Merida?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:21 am, September 11, 2009