We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Feasts: Virgin of Guadalupe & Immaculate Conception

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Merida hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Over the Rainbow
Level Contributor
518 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Feasts: Virgin of Guadalupe & Immaculate Conception

I've been finding information regarding these celebrations in Izamal. However, I'm unclear as to whether both are celebrated separately or whether there are celebrations over the course of several days.

Bottom line: Does anyone have opinions as to what day or days might be best to visit? I'm trying to make plans for a 2-day/1 night visit to Uxmal. It will be our only overnight away from the rental property and don't want to schedule it and miss out on something special.

Merida
Destination Expert
for Merida
Level Contributor
1,393 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Feasts: Virgin of Guadalupe & Immaculate Conception

As I understand it, the Immaculate Conception celebrations are unique to Izamal (in this area) but the Virgin of Guadalupe celebrations go on all over Mexico. If you are traveling during that time (the few days leading up to Dec. 12), you will see people running with torches, singly or in groups. They run to show their devotion to the Virgen and as a sort of fulfillment of a pledge.

For more on that, you can see our article:

yucatanliving.com/events/the-day-of-the-virg…

and our video of that day:

yucatanliving.com/video/the-virgin-of-guadal…

Yucatan Today also has an article about the runners:

yucatantoday.com/culture/eng-torch-runners.h…

I will try to find out more about the celebrations around the Immaculate Conception, but I'm guessing they involve voladores (flying firecrackers), processions and masses.

Merida, Mexico
Level Contributor
863 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Feasts: Virgin of Guadalupe & Immaculate Conception

Bottom line: The fiesta goes on and on and on it Izamal as the festivities for the two saints/Virgins overlap. The 8th is the Virgin de la Asuncion (the Izamal one) and the 12th is Guadalupe, the patron saint of all of Mexico.

Merida, Mexico
Level Contributor
863 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Feasts: Virgin of Guadalupe & Immaculate Conception

A fair is set up on the Main Square of Izamal for about two weeks with food stands, mechanical rides, arts and crafts and vendors selling clothing, household goods, etc. Kind of a free for all.

Pilgrimages, fireworks, steel bands and rosaries are all part of the religious celebrations especially on the 8th and 12th.

You will hear and see fireworks all over the place on the 13th in the night and 12th all day long.

4. Re: Feasts: Virgin of Guadalupe & Immaculate Conception

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:18 pm, September 10, 2009