We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxis from Merida to other towns

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Merida hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ontario
Level Contributor
218 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Taxis from Merida to other towns

I was wondering if anyone knows if the taxis in Merida only operate around the city or if it is easy to hire one to take you to other towns and ruins etc. I need to get from Merida centro to Hacienda Santa Rosa. They have a transfer option but it is quite expensive. Will taxis take you there? Will they know where it is? How much etc. I have used the bus system before and found it inexpensive and conveneint but it is not an option for this point to point trip. Any help from Yucatan Living or Today or others would be great help! Always appreciate the advice from other posters.

Merida, Mexico
Level Contributor
863 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxis from Merida to other towns

Yes. taxis will take you out to Hacienda Santa Rosa and they will know where it is. I don't know the price. How much are they charging for the transfer? And from where do you want to be picked up?

Ontario
Level Contributor
218 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxis from Merida to other towns

We would be going from Centro, perhaps Casa del Balam hotel. I can not remember the exact price for the transfer but it was quite expensive ( around 100 U.S. dollars ) Would a taxi be cheaper?

inverness, fl
Level Contributor
399 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxis from Merida to other towns

I would ask that question when actually in Merida and ask it of a taxi driver or the hotels travel agent. Yucatan Today is a for profit business and based on the questions asked of you they might offer you a lesser rate. But ask when in Merida.

Merida, Mexico
Level Contributor
863 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxis from Merida to other towns

Yes, Yucatan Today is a for profit business but in no way do we earn any money from the taxi services. We are a tourist guide magazine and online tourist guide.We have absolutely nothing to do with the taxis nor do we drive taxis, so we won't be offering a lesser price. I asked the question to find out where they would be leaving from so that I can ask around to get a price. I am in the information business.

Merida
Destination Expert
for Merida
Level Contributor
1,402 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taxis from Merida to other towns

Another idea is to check with Turitransmerida, Iluminado Tours or Yucatan Trails, all of whom arrange custom tours (with drivers). You might be able to get out to Hacienda Santa Rosa and see some sights along the way (Uxmal comes to mind).

And both Yucatan Today and Yucatan Living are in the information business... we don't sell services here, just share info in the hopes that you will also frequent our websites, neither of which cost you anything! Yucatan Today is more specifically for tourists, and Yucatan Living is more targeted towards people living here or buying real estate here.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
92 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Taxis from Merida to other towns

Hi, Ontario Traveldad,

So you are planning another trip to Merida and Hacienda Santa Rosa! I really appreciated you pm answering my questions in details regarding Hacienda Santa Rosa. I am now back to planning this Merida trip for spring break next year. We were busy for quite a while- took a trip to Hong Kong/China and Alaska.

Santa Rosa quoted me US$150 for the transfer. It is quite expensive. I am also looking for alternatives, like a taxi or a guide/driver from Merida.

We will be staying also at Casa del Balam before Santa Rosa. I am waiting for Balam's reply regarding a guide taking us on the Hacienda route on the way to theSanta Rosa. Instead of just driven out there, I thought I might as well combine it with a tour. I will let you know what they charge.

Earlier Balam quoted me $150 (excluding lunch and entrance fees)for a private tour to Chichen Itza, which I think is good as there are 4 of us. A group tour would cost us $180 anyway. But with the group tour, I think they start too late @ 9:00am. We always like to go when it first opens to beat the crowds.

I really look forward to Merida..lately I have been reading a lot of books on Yucatan, the haciendas, colonial architecture....yes, that's my interest......can't wait to be there!!

Ontario
Level Contributor
218 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taxis from Merida to other towns

Thanks Evie: Let me know what you find out about transportation alternatives. Yes I am going back to the Yucatan. This time just the wife and I,no kids. All the Haciendas are great but I just loved Santa Rosa. Very romantic and tranquil. Slightly off topic and such but just curious where you went in Alaska. My mother has lived in Anchorage for 20 years and it is like a second home to me. I miss the mountains.

Texas
Level Contributor
5 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Taxis from Merida to other towns

I just got back from Merida where we met a fellow that charges 100.00 per day for tours. He speaks english and seems to be a very nice person. He works in Centro at a B&B which is also very nice and can arrange tours with transprotation.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
92 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Taxis from Merida to other towns

Traveldad-

Balam quoted 25 usd per hour for a hacienda tour - we want to visit Yaxcopoil, Temozon, have lunch at Ochil before heading to Santa Rosa. And I read somewhere in Lonely Planet that you can hire a taxi for the day for about 50-60 usd.

PS - we were at Seward. Spectacular in every way!!

Yucatan Living or Yucatan Today - does the above route sound doable and how long would it reasonbly take?

swtexan - did you use this person and do you have the contact info?

Thanks in advance for everybody's help.

Texas
Level Contributor
5 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Taxis from Merida to other towns

He works at the B&B Los Arcos in Merida. Nice place and a very nice fellow. His name is Alberto and you can contact him via the B&B's email.