We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Merida Sunday Market

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
NJ
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Merida Sunday Market

Hi,

We're planning a trip to Merida/Tulum at the end of September. I know the Sunday market in Merida is a must see--what I'm wondering is if we need to spend the whole day in Merida in order to fully enjoy the Market. We will either drive to Tulum Sunday afternoon, or stay sunday night and leave monday morning. We are arriving in Merida on Thursday night, staying thru Sun or Mon.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Merida, Mexico
Level Contributor
863 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Merida Sunday Market

Kstryker,

Merida is a wonderful city on Sunday. You won't need the entire day in the market - go in the morning then head back to the Main Plaza for Domingo en Merida - Sunday in Merida . This is a fun colorful time when they close off traffic on the Main Plaza and Calles 60 and 62 up to Calle 55. You will find music in the streets, booths set up with food and craft vendors, the bici-ruta (a Sunday bicycle route from La Ermita to the Monument to the Flag), tricylces taxis,,,,,,all kinds of fun things. You can spend the day here easily, then head out to Tulum early Monday morning.

Merida
Destination Expert
for Merida
Level Contributor
1,402 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Merida Sunday Market

I think maybe by "market", you were referring to Merida en Domingo, which is when they turn the whole center of the city into an open-air market. And no, you don't need the whole day to see that OR to see the day-to-day mercado, which is about three blocks away from the center of town. You could enjoy both in the morning and leave about 2 or 3 pm for Tulum.

If you get off the carretera at Valladolid and head south, you'll get to Tulum sooner (it goes straight to Tulum). The road is narrow and 2-lanes in some parts, but much more interesting than the carretera. If you drive carefully, you'll be okay. And you'll be able to spend Sunday night in Tulum.

take care and buen viaje!

Merida, Yucatan
Level Contributor
1,733 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Merida Sunday Market

I always prefer driving to the Caribbean early in the morning, leaving at 7 am, or after 4 pm. Travelling in the heat of the day is less comfortable & you are more likely to doze off at the wheel.

4. Re: Merida Sunday Market

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:18 pm, August 25, 2009