We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Merida spring 2008- best Mayan sites to see, places to stay

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
334 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Merida spring 2008- best Mayan sites to see, places to stay

My wife and I would like to see some Mayan ruins next spring.

When is the best time to go? Is Merida a good, centrally located spot? Should we rent a car or take a bus to the sites and also spend a day at the beach, possible Progresso? Is it best to travel to the sites as day trips or spend the nights there?

I found some nice affordable bed and breakfasts in Merida that look really nice. We would like to spend about a week there, all totaled.

Thanks!!

Merida, Mexico
Level Contributor
863 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Merida spring 2008- best Mayan sites to see, places to stay

Welcome to the land of the Maya! Merida is the perfect base for a trip to the Yucatan. The best time to come, when it is cooler, is from November to March....and possibly very early in April. Renting a car will allow you to be foot loose and fancy free - going where you want when you want. And, "our" Progreso has just one "s."

Take a look at this article for some ideas on what to do:

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i13254-A_7_Day_…

Which B&B are you looking at?

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
334 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Merida spring 2008- best Mayan sites to see, places to stay

OK, I can do March or early April.

The B&Bs are the ones listed here in Trip Advisor. Any of the top 15 or so look great; I can't argue with <$100 and ratings of 4.0-5.0.

Is Progreso (note spelling) still a good idea for a day trip?

We can see multiple ruins for selected days, correct?

What about eats; we love Mexican food, well, the US version is OK and we'd like to try authentic items, too.

Thanks!!

Merida
Destination Expert
for Merida
Level Contributor
1,402 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Merida spring 2008- best Mayan sites to see, places to stay

Ned,

You'll find that the food here is not Mexican, it is Yucatecan. And it's delicious.

You can do all the things you suggest...there is a lot to do in Merida. Check out the different lists here on Trip Advisor:

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i10274-Merida_R…

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i8043-Top_Ten_H…

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i12477-10_Place…

Enjoy!

Merida, Yucatan
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Merida spring 2008- best Mayan sites to see, places to stay

Ned,

While we are famous for our Yucatecan cuisine.... we do have Mexican cuisine also. My husband and I had dinner last night at Fogoncito on the Prolongacion Montejo... you might want to get a taxi...and it was quite delicious.

As a matter of fact, when dinner was over, I was so happy with the place, I even thought, "I am going to have to write about this place in the Merida forum of TripAdvisor and on our website."

I had the Aztec soup (a delicious tortilla soup) and my husband had the Parrillada Mixto . a mixed platter with five or six tacos and a quesadilla. It was DI LI CIOUS! So, yes, there is Mexican cuisine here. But, don't forget our Yucatecan cuisine.

Olmsted Falls, Ohio
Level Contributor
462 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Merida spring 2008- best Mayan sites to see, places to stay

Uxmal is easily done as a day trip by bus (see my review of Uxmal for how to do that). There is also first class bus service from Merida to Chichen Itza, although for that I would recommend an overnight stay so that you can start exploring the ruins as soon as they open in the morning. Dzibilchaltun (a small but interesting site near Merida) is also accessible by bus from the same station that serves Progreso. You will however have to take a short walk (maybe 10 minutes) from the where the bus drops you off on the highway to the ruins.

For other ruins such as Ek Balaam, Mayapan, Labna, and Sayil a rental car would probably be easiest.

Progreso is very easy to visit by bus from Merida. There are very frequent departures, and it's only a 30 to 40 minute bus ride.

The Yucatecan cuisine is indeed wonderful. But for Mexican food try out La Casa de Frida in Merida. The chiles en nogada are absolutely superb.

Merida, Mexico
Level Contributor
863 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Merida spring 2008- best Mayan sites to see, places to stay

Double ditto on the Chilis en Nogada at Casa de Frida in downtown Merida - about a block and a half from the Main Plaza.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
334 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Merida spring 2008- best Mayan sites to see, places to stay

Thanks all for the great info! Me and wifey are really getting excited!

Any B&B info? They all seem pretty reasonably priced.

Ned

Merida, Mexico
Level Contributor
863 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Merida spring 2008- best Mayan sites to see, places to stay

Cascadas de Merida (Watererfalls of Merida) gets VERY high ratings. Los Angeles de Merida is another beautiful B&B... as is Casa Esperanza.

Hotel Luz en Yucatan, while not a B&B is a comfortable, fun, funky-ish hotel with a superb location - right in the heart of downtown...but not noisy.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
334 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Merida spring 2008- best Mayan sites to see, places to stay

Keep the info coming! Great stuff!

Next questions -

Can we drive to Coba from the main highway between Merida and Cancun?

Should we do an overnighter to Chitzen Itza (sp?)?

How about a day trip to Campeche and Edzna' ruins?

Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Ned

Olmsted Falls, Ohio
Level Contributor
462 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Merida spring 2008- best Mayan sites to see, places to stay

We've stayed at Luz en Yucatan, and highly recommend it.

Campeche might be a bit far to do as a day trip, but would make an interesting 1 or 2 night trip. It's been ages since I've been there. I've read that the historic center of the city has really been spruced up since it was declared a UNESCO heritage site.