We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Myself & 5yr Old

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Houston, TX
9 posts
Save Topic
Myself & 5yr Old

I'm a single mother & I plan to take a trip to Merida with my 5 year-old daughter, just the two of us in the later part of August (which is the best time for us). Any ideas of an ideal place for the both of us? I'd like to see the Mayan Ruins. I’d love a safe hotel with lots to do for her & a beautiful beach to lay out. I never been so any and all information is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Crystal

Mentioned in this post
Merida
Merida
Yucatan, Mexico
Olmsted Falls, Ohio
Level Contributor
462 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Myself & 5yr Old

Merida is not on the coast, so there is no beach. You can, however, take one of the frequent busses to Progreso, about 40 min. away, and get in some beach time there.

Many of the hotels have swimming pools. We really like Luz en Yucatan. It is a truly unique place... read the reviews. We've also stayed at Maison LaFitte, which is nice too. Both places have small swimming pools, are very safe, are relatively inexpensive, and are excellently located within walking distance of most everything you will want to see in Merida.

Mentioned in this post
Merida
Merida
Yucatan, Mexico
Progreso
Progreso
Yucatan, Mexico
Merida
Destination Expert
for Merida
Level Contributor
1,402 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Myself & 5yr Old

I would second that opinion: Luz En Yucatan has a nice small pool and is a family-friendly place. In addition, each room has a kitchenette so its easy to keep yogurt or fruit or juice in your room for snacks and late night refreshments. You will be close to live music at night, so you can go enjoy the events, but be close to home when your daughter gets sleepy.

When you're in Merida, do take a calesa ride with your daughter... I bet she'll love it. Calesas are horse-drawn carriages, many of them decorated. Its a beautiful way to see the city, especially at night. And at Luz, you can have one take you down Paseo Montejo for a ride, and then deliver you home right to your door.

Also, you might want to consider going to the zoo one day. Its an old-fashioned zoo with just enough exotic animals and a big playground. Lots of families take their kids there, especially on weekends... it's free! We wrote an article about it recently (yucatanliving.com/destinations/merida-zoo.htm)

If you want to have a few days at the beach and a few days in the city, you might consider the all-inclusive Reef Yucatan for a few days. It has a pool and a beach, as well as places for children to play. It's not very conveniently located to anything else, but if you are just going for a few days, you won't need to go anywhere else.

The closest and easiest Mayan ruins to see from Merida are called Dzibilchaltun and they are between Merida and the beach at Progreso. They have a little jewel of a museum, some ruins to climb on and an outdoor cenote that you can swim in (but be careful because one end of the pool is VERY deep).

Hope that gives you a few ideas!!

Mentioned in this post
Merida
Merida
Yucatan, Mexico
Progreso
Progreso
Yucatan, Mexico
Merida, Mexico
Level Contributor
863 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Myself & 5yr Old

You don't say how many days you will be staying... Luz en Yucatan could be a good hotel for you with your daughter. There's a pool for cooling off. Take her to the Centenario zoo.... she'll love it. Recent guests said it was better than their zoo in Canada.

As for beach time, you might want to check out Reef Yucatan www.reefyucatan.com It's an all-inclusive that could be good for your daughter. August is high season at the beach, so it won't be quiet! But, weather wise, it's when we have some of our best beach days - the water is warm and can be emerald green clear.

It is going to be very hot, so remember water, a hat, cool clothing and sunblock for the pyramids. And maybe even a stroller for your daughter. But, then again, you're from Houston, so you understand hot.

How many days and what days will you be in Merida?

Mentioned in this post
Houston
Houston
Texas Gulf Coast, TX
Merida
Merida
Yucatan, Mexico
4. Re: Myself & 5yr Old

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:15 pm, September 02, 2009