We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

This is for Yucatan Living---Worried about the heat in Augus

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Merida hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kansas City...
Level Contributor
64 posts
1 review
Save Topic
This is for Yucatan Living---Worried about the heat in Augus

I am going to Merida in August with my son. I am not young. My son will survive as usual (he's only 22). I hate the heat. I wish I would have done more research before I booked the airfare...but cheapwad me picked the lowest, and that was Merida.

It's a short trip...only 7 nights, two of them in Tulum on the beach in one of the only AC resorts I could find. I fell in love with luz En Yucatan's website and booked there in Merida. They are both supposed to have AC.

Frankly, I am close to heat stroke at 89 degrees in Kansas and really worry about the humidity of Merida in August.

We are locked into this trip. I haven't seen my son for six month, so am looking forward to that. But I am dreading the heat.

Is it going to be really bad? What can I do to reduce the pain? Can we not expect to enjoy Chicken Itza ( Iknow I mispelled it.)?

Should I swallow the penalty and plan a new trip to some place cooler in Mexico? (Last year, we went to Mexico City in august and loved it!)

Help!

Merida, Mexico
Level Contributor
863 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: This is for Yucatan Living---Worried about the heat in Augus

Welch,

While Yucatan Living gets back to you, here are some thoughts. It is hot in August but it can be done. I would say plan lots of time around the pool and taking mid-day siestas and doing morning activites and late afternoon-evening things.

You might want to spend an overnight at Chichen Itza. I can recommend Hacienda Chichen (www.haciendachichen.co) and The Mayaland (www.mayaland.com) When we do this trip, we drive from Merida to Chichen, pass it by 3.5 kms and go to Ik-Kil - a large, freshwater sinkhole cenote with deep blue waters. We go swimming and cool off. If we are there at lunch, we do their buffet lunch.

We then head back to Chichen, check into our hotel, relax, go to the pool, hang out in the hammocks on the terraces. In the evening we go to Light and Sound. The next morning, we are up EARLY, have breakfast and are at the entrance to Chichen Itza (both of these hotels have a back entrance into the site. at 8 AM --- not 8:30.... 8 AM. We take a tour or do it ourselves and are back to the hotel by 10:30 AM. Take water and a hat with you to the pyramids.

Hang out at the hotel., swimming, reading, relaxing and head back to Merida in the late-ish afternoon. Ask for late check-out..... or stay another night. These nights will add up $$, but probably be cheaper than loosing your tickets and not coming at all.

Hope this helps, and I know Yucatan Living will have some good ideas.

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,497 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: This is for Yucatan Living---Worried about the heat in Augus

August is hot, but definitely doable. Plan to get up early and have most of your action happen during the mornings or evenings and rest at midday. Does your hotel in Merida have a pool? Can you extend your stay in Tulum? Tulum will have a breeze from the sea, so that will cool things off. Where are you staying in Tulum?

Most importantly, stay hydrated. Drink lots more water than you are used to, and have a Pedialyte (coconut flavor is best) if you find yourself really thirsty, and you can't seem to drink enough water to take it away.

Merida
Destination Expert
for Merida
Level Contributor
1,402 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: This is for Yucatan Living---Worried about the heat in Augus

Here I am! Just back from a trip to the States....

Anyway, you've gotten a lot of good advice from the other two people who have already commented.

There are definitely ways and strategies to beat the heat... going out early in the morning and at night, using the midday to rest and be in the pool is a good one. Luz en Yucatan does indeed have AC and a pool and its very close to most of what you will want to see in the Centro so you can go out for short quick trips. Drink a lot, as Holly said. And not just water... indulge yourself in delicious agua de sandia (watermelon juice...incredibly refreshing on a hot day) and homemade ice creams, a Merida staple. Nap in a hammock, read a great book or play games with your son in the AC and go out at night. The point is to enjoy time away with him.... so my advice would be not to push yourself to see a lot. Just relax and enjoy the easy, lazy, tropical life.

Tulum may indeed be breezier, but it can be just as hot... and mostly the hotels there have no air conditioning. There is that big beautiful Caribbean, but if you sunburn easily, you can't stay out in it all day.

As for Chichen Itza, go early in the morning. Or go see the ruins in Tulum and leave Chichen Itza for your next trip. If you dont want to spend the night at Chichen Itza, it will be hard to get there early (you'd have to leave Tulum about 6:30 to get there by 8:30-ish). The ruins in Tulum are not as spectacular, but they are on a cliff above the beach.

We learned very quickly when we moved here that your body has a internal thermometer. Once it gets heated up, the best way to cool it down is with a dip in the pool, the sea or a shower. If you can't do that, sit down and stop moving. SIt under a fan if you can. Its amazing how much heat we generate by moving around. And as westerners, we tend to move quickly and a lot. Moving very little generates very little heat, and that's the best strategy in the middle of the day. Also, always walk on the shady side of the street (we used to call the sunny side "the gringo side of the street" after all the vacationers who didn't seem to have the sense to get out of the sun).

Lastly, don't fight the heat. Keep breathing and realize that its okay to sweat here... everybody does it. Take it easy and enjoy the unique culture that is the Yucatan!

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i10274-Merida_R…

Merida
Destination Expert
for Merida
Level Contributor
1,402 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: This is for Yucatan Living---Worried about the heat in Augus

Here I am! Just back from a trip to the States....

Anyway, you've gotten a lot of good advice from the other two people who have already commented.

There are definitely ways and strategies to beat the heat... going out early in the morning and at night, using the midday to rest and be in the pool is a good one. Luz en Yucatan does indeed have AC and a pool and its very close to most of what you will want to see in the Centro so you can go out for short quick trips. Drink a lot, as Holly said. And not just water... indulge yourself in delicious agua de sandia (watermelon juice...incredibly refreshing on a hot day) and homemade ice creams, a Merida staple. Nap in a hammock, read a great book or play games with your son in the AC and go out at night. The point is to enjoy time away with him.... so my advice would be not to push yourself to see a lot. Just relax and enjoy the easy, lazy, tropical life.

Tulum may indeed be breezier, but it can be just as hot... and mostly the hotels there have no air conditioning. There is that big beautiful Caribbean, but if you sunburn easily, you can't stay out in it all day.

As for Chichen Itza, go early in the morning. Or go see the ruins in Tulum and leave Chichen Itza for your next trip. If you dont want to spend the night at Chichen Itza, it will be hard to get there early (you'd have to leave Tulum about 6:30 to get there by 8:30-ish). The ruins in Tulum are not as spectacular, but they are on a cliff above the beach.

We learned very quickly when we moved here that your body has a internal thermometer. Once it gets heated up, the best way to cool it down is with a dip in the pool, the sea or a shower. If you can't do that, sit down and stop moving. SIt under a fan if you can. Its amazing how much heat we generate by moving around. And as westerners, we tend to move quickly and a lot. Moving very little generates very little heat, and that's the best strategy in the middle of the day. Also, always walk on the shady side of the street (we used to call the sunny side "the gringo side of the street" after all the vacationers who didn't seem to have the sense to get out of the sun).

Lastly, don't fight the heat. Keep breathing and realize that its okay to sweat here... everybody does it. Take it easy and enjoy the unique culture that is the Yucatan!

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i10274-Merida_R…

beachside California
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: This is for Yucatan Living---Worried about the heat in Augus

I visit Merida once every two years. My family of 6 just loves it. It is quite hot in Merida in August but there are plenty of shade trees and parks on every corner with benches situated under trees. You will enjoy your trip. My only concern would be if you were to take a trip to Chichen-Itza. Shade is not plentiful there, so bring a sun umbrella, a hat, and plenty of water. Even in Chichen Itza, the entrance is a covered building where you could seek shade if needed. Merida and Tulum are beautiful. Enjoy your stay.

PORTLAND, OR
Level Contributor
212 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: This is for Yucatan Living---Worried about the heat in Augus

I haven't been to the Yucatan in summer, but am also very heat sensitive so I understand your concern. Some things I do: Always carry a squirt bottle with ice in a small cooler to spritz myself. Wear a long sleeved white shirt & wet it down to stay cool. Wear a "cold collar". They go under various names but you can usually find them in sporting goods stores. Campmor.com sells "blubandoo" line. You soak them in cold water & then wear around your neck for cooling. Carry a small battery operated "personal fan". Also I always wear a light colored, lightweight hat that I can also wet down to encourage cooling. These strategies work a little better in drier heat but also help if it's humid. Hope this helps.

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
64 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: This is for Yucatan Living---Worried about the heat in Augus

Thanks you guys and gals, for all of your suggestions. I guess we are locked into this trip. I've checked what it would cost to change it to Guadlajara...and, in my opinion, it's too much. ($400 or so after flight penalties).

So, I'll go out and purchase shorts, take my mist bottle, water, cold neck band...and hope for the best.

Thanks again for your help.

Merida
Destination Expert
for Merida
Level Contributor
1,402 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: This is for Yucatan Living---Worried about the heat in Augus

I predict you are going to enjoy yourself :-)!!

New York and Merida
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: This is for Yucatan Living---Worried about the heat in Augus

I live parttime in Merida.. it is doable.. you might want to go out to the beaches.. it is always cooler there and really pleasant.. No doubt Merida is really hot in August.. But what an incredible city!

10. Re: This is for Yucatan Living---Worried about the heat in Augus

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:23 am, September 03, 2009