We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

House Rental? Where?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Merida hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Over the Rainbow
Level Contributor
518 posts
1 review
Save Topic
House Rental? Where?

I've been lurking on the board for awhile trying to get a sense of what we'd really like to do. I'm as confused as ever.

Here's the vision: 2 week trip in early to mid-December. Week one devoted to a few days in Merida over the weekend and the other days spent among Mayan Ruins. Uxmal is a must. Have been to Chichen Itza and Tulum, but would go back if time permits. Week 2 is devoted to beach time either at an AI resort along the Rivera Maya or a beach house rental on the gulf coast.

We've never done a house rental. What are the pros and cons? Are there areas you suggest or suggest to avoid?

I would like to get a rental car as we leave Merida.

Thanks for your ideas.

1. Re: House Rental? Where?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 pm, May 11, 2007
Over the Rainbow
Level Contributor
518 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: House Rental? Where?

Thanks for the reply. The links are helpful.

Would a house rental in Uaymitun be a reasonable base?

Merida, Mexico
Level Contributor
863 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: House Rental? Where?

Uaymitun is a very nice area and yes, would be a great base.

Over the Rainbow
Level Contributor
518 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: House Rental? Where?

How far/long would the drive be from Uaymitun to Uxmal?

Do you have a recommendation for a website with distances and directions for Mexico? I wasn't having much luck finding one.

Thanks again.

5. Re: House Rental? Where?

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:38 pm, May 22, 2007
santa fe, merida
Level Contributor
64 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: House Rental? Where?

Are you aware of the fact that the beach experience along the Yucatan coast is different than the beach experience along the Carribean, especially during the winter. Not better or worse. But definitely different.

Over the Rainbow
Level Contributor
518 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: House Rental? Where?

I've been told to expect some nortes--days of cooler weather and wind that will stir up the water.

The water is not clear like the Caribbean and not suitable for snorkeling--not a problem as we are not snorkelers.

Whether the water is swimmable depends upon one's perception of cold--I am from the upper midwest...75 degree air temperature equates swimmable.

If I'm not on track, please correct me and feel free to add :)

Merida, Mexico
Level Contributor
863 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: House Rental? Where?

Henley Head,

Yes, you are on track about our waters - not great for snorkeling, not cristalyne like the Caribbean, etc. On the positive side, we don't have rip tides or strong currents, we don't have reefs and the beaches are not rocky (except for a stretch in Uaymitun and San Miguel.) All in all, the water is very swimmer friendly as the bottom is sandy and it gets deep slowly and you won't find drop offs.

9. Re: House Rental? Where?

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

Removed on: 5:18 pm, September 01, 2009