We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Merida 6 days suggestions?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
London, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
115 reviews
Save Topic
Merida 6 days suggestions?

Hi, My fiance and i will be on our honeymoon in December and will be spending 5 days in Playa del carmen and cancun area at different times in the honeymoon but we also have around 6 days where it has been suggested we go to Merida. From what i have seen there isnt much to do there and its not on the beach. We do like nature and cultural things but is there enough to do in Merida or should be stop off from cancun along the coast somewhere on the way - we will be taking the bus so that we dont get bored? After Merida we will be travelling to Tulum to start a tour down the coast and will see chichen itza on the way. Appreciate any ideas!

Mentioned in this post
Playa del Carmen
Playa del Carmen
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Merida
Merida
Yucatan, Mexico
Tulum
Tulum
Riviera Maya, Mexico
14 replies to this topic
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
994 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Merida 6 days suggestions?

this november will be my first trip there and we are doing 5 days. I am figuring one day we will go to the beach Progresso, a second day cenotes and Uxmal. then two days for the city. I never count my first day arriving.

6 might be a bit long it depends what you like to do. I love to wander.

Mentioned in this post
Uxmal
Uxmal
213 Reviews
Muna, Mexico
Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
47,406 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Merida 6 days suggestions?

Really I would not consider six days in Merida long at all. If you're into an authentic Mexican city with much in the way of culture, Merida is your place. In my case, six days in Cancun or Tulum would be much too long for me.

Mentioned in this post
Merida
Merida
Yucatan, Mexico
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Tulum
Tulum
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
7,012 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Merida 6 days suggestions?

The Moon Yucatan Peninsula book has a lot on Merida, including plenty of things to do. My first trip there was two weeks, and it didn't seem like too much.

Mentioned in this post
Merida
Merida
Yucatan, Mexico
Metro...
Level Contributor
846 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Merida 6 days suggestions?

You will more than fill seven days in Merida. Yucatan Today, a free monthly tourist magazine, has an excellent 7 day guide, There are musical events in and around El Centro almost every night and during the day on Sunday. With day trips to places like Progreso, Uxmal, Izamal or Sotuta de Peon, you will need a late afternoon nap before starting an evening activity. One of our favorites in Merida is Thursday night dinner at La Recova in Parque Santa Lucia followed by the free folkloric singing and dancing starting at 9 PM. I personally like the Mercado Lucas de Galvez, a huge covered market with excellent food stalls selling Yucatan street food.

Merida is a city of a million people and is almost 500 years old. After Mexico City and Havana, it has the largest Spanish colonial center in the Americas. We have been wintering in the Yucatan for the past 12 years, and have found Merida to be the place to center our travels.

Mentioned in this post
Merida
Merida
Yucatan, Mexico
El Centro
El Centro
912 Reviews
Isla Mujeres, Mexico
Progreso
Progreso
Yucatan, Mexico
Uxmal
Uxmal
213 Reviews
Muna, Mexico
Mexico City
Mexico City
Central Mexico and Gulf Coast, Mexico
San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
17,590 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Merida 6 days suggestions?

I can't imagine being bored in Merida. It's a wonderful city with a lot to see and do. And there are several good day trips you can take from there.

Mentioned in this post
Merida
Merida
Yucatan, Mexico
Atlanta
Level Contributor
457 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Merida 6 days suggestions?

I love a beach as do you and I think you will be getting lots of that in the other places you are visiting.Merida is great for a starting point. You can have numerous day trips. What I really love about Merida is walking out of the hotel and you are already in a bustling urban area that has been around for hundreds of years. You can walk and walk. There are many museums, art galleries, cantinas, restaurants, interesting people, much to learn and discover. Cabs are cheap and plentiful. Come back to your hotel and hang by the pool, perhaps in a hammock. Study Tripadvisor and you will see there is too much to enjoy for just 6 days and you will want to return again and again as I do. There is a beach only 30-40 minutes north that is on the Gulf. It is not everyone's cup of tea but I love it because it is near Merida. I wish I had known about Merida years ago when I honeymooned!!

Mentioned in this post
Merida
Merida
Yucatan, Mexico
Merida, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Merida, Chichen Itza
Level Contributor
2,797 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Merida 6 days suggestions?

Be aware that my esteemed colleague above, is talking about El Centro (the downtown area of Merida) when mentioning stepping out of your hotel and into the bustling activity around you. Merida is very spread out and there is a lot going on, much of it out of the colorful colonial center.

Mentioned in this post
Merida
Merida
Yucatan, Mexico
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
1 post
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Merida 6 days suggestions?

Merida is a big city in the Yucatan; lots of shops, restaurants, businesses, and traffic. It is more Americanized than most parts of Mexico you'd expect to visit. Not very touristy. Not very relaxing as it is a bustling city with lots of working class. I'm sure there are some historic buildings and parks that you might consider to be an attraction. There is an awesome restaurant; Mr. Pampas which is an all you can eat (Brazilian type) meat, salad bar, etc.. If you go through there for some reason, reserve a night and stomach space for a trip there!

Mentioned in this post
Merida
Merida
Yucatan, Mexico
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Mr. Pampas
Mr. Pampas
441 Reviews
Cancun, Mexico
Merida, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Merida, Chichen Itza
Level Contributor
2,797 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Merida 6 days suggestions?

For relaxation, you might consider staying outside of town at one of the haciendas!

And for restaurants, here is some heavy research done by the Casual Restaurant Critic:

http://www.lawsonsyucatan.com/?s=casual+restaurant+critic

San Mateo...
Destination Expert
for Rincon de Guayabitos
Level Contributor
5,020 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Merida 6 days suggestions?

I call this itinerary The Compass, using

Merida as the hub for day trips...I always

enjoy Sundays in the main plaza with its

food and crafts booths and live music...

The double decker tour bus was also fun

with get on and off stops..Day trips below.

North= Maya ruins of Dzibilchaltun with

it’s great museum and walk in cenote

for swimming...Then some beach time

in Progreso.....

South= Maya ruins of Uxmal and the

other Ruta Puuc ruins including Loltun

Cave......

West= Celestun Pink Flamingo Reserve

and sea shell collecting on the beach...

East= Yellow city of Itzamal and if not

ruined out the ancient maya city of AKE...

Mentioned in this post
Merida
Merida
Yucatan, Mexico
Progreso
Progreso
Yucatan, Mexico
Uxmal
Uxmal
213 Reviews
Muna, Mexico
Ruta Puuc