We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rental Merida via - Hotel Macan ché en Izamal

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
LA California
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
Car Rental Merida via - Hotel Macan ché en Izamal

We arrive at Merida Airport on March 11, we are planning on renting a car at the merida airport and driving to Hotel Macan ché en Izamal for four much anticipated nights, After our stay we will go to the Hacienda Santa Rosa for 2 nights and then spend our last two nights in Merida. Here are my questions:

1. Is it wise to rent a car at the Airport? Not that I have a better idea.

2. Before our stay in Merida ( our last 2 nights) we are thinking of returning our car to the airport, and then taxi to Merida. Should we return the car before we go to Merida or park it in Merida and return the car when we leave Mexico at the Merida airport ?

3. What is the best driving map from the airport to Hotel Macan ché en Izamal? Where do I get a detailed driving maps of the area?

4. Please comment on a daily site itenarary. We are planning on seein C.I. and the area from Hotel Macan ché en Izamal. Is that a good idea? If anyone had any ideas please advise.

thanks/

Merida
Destination Expert
for Merida
Level Contributor
1,402 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Rental Merida via - Hotel Macan ché en Izamal

Hola!

there is no reason not to rent your car at the airport. the car rental company should have a map. just to be sure, go to Mapquest and print out a map before you go. they have Merida totally mapped now.

sure, return your car for your last two days. if you are staying in the city (you didnt mention where) you probably wont need it. and a taxi to the airport costs about $12 US from the Centro.

yep, Chichen Itza isnt that far from Izamal...or rather, its closer than from Merida. you'll definitely want to leave yourself a day to wander around Izamal too. or maybe two. and maybe a day to go to the Gulf Coast and see the beach, have some fried fish for lunch, that sort of thing.

Emily and Alfred at Macanche can give you some good ideas too. You will be in extremely good hands. Dont try to plan too much... part of the fun of the Yucatan is letting things happen spontaneously.

Fort Ogden, Florida
Level Contributor
61 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Rental Merida via - Hotel Macan ché en Izamal

i personaly would advise renting localy in merida, you will get a better rate.also i would advise not renting from hertz as they are thieves. i made a booking stateside with my flite and got ripped off for 500.00 i am still waiting a yr after the fact for a response to my e-mails and my visa was of no help as they stated that i signed of on the rental, what they failed to understand is if you don;t pay you stay and the police are called .other than this issue we had a fantastic time in the area with no other problems. again you will get a better rate in town.

respectfully

KEWATIN

Merida, Yucatan
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Rental Merida via - Hotel Macan ché en Izamal

Ask the car rental people for a copy of the tourist guide Yucatan Today. It has maps of everything... including Izamal and information on lots of things that will help you with your trip.

4. Re: Car Rental Merida via - Hotel Macan ché en Izamal

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 pm, August 22, 2009