We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Merida to Isla Mujeres & day trips from Merida

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Merida hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
UK
Level Contributor
97 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Merida to Isla Mujeres & day trips from Merida

Hi, first time in Mexico in March. We plan to spend the week of our holiday with a few days in Merida then a couple of days on beach in Isla Mujeres.

Was just wondering what the best way to travel from Merida to Isla Mujeres is, using public transport (bus preferably).

Would it be neccessary to go into Cancun and then out or is there a shorter route.

Also, we'll be in Merida on a Monday - are shops / museums etc likely to be open on this day?

Finally what are some good day trips from Merdia? We're considering

Celestun, Chichen Itza, but interested to hear any other ideas.

Many thanks

JA, London

Merida
Destination Expert
for Merida
Level Contributor
1,394 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Merida to Isla Mujeres & day trips from Merida

The only way to get to Isla from Merida by public transport is a bus to Cancun, and then some sort of bus to the ferry dock. Its not far from the Cancun bus station to the ferry.

In Merida, some museums will be closed on Monday. Most shops won't be, but some restaurants will be. There will still be plenty to do and see.

You might want to consider seeing Chichen Itza on your way to Isla Mujeres, since it is almost halfway there. You could spend one night there (near Chichen Itza) at Hacienda Chichen or any number of other hotels around the ruins. Then continue on to the coast the next day.

Other ideas abound. But for my money, with limited time, you should go to Dzibilchaltun for the lovely museum, the cenote and the ruins there. Its only 20 minutes outside of Merida and you can get a cab to take you there, or a tour. Also, Uxmal is well worth seeing and is a day trip from Merida. And Celestun is wonderful too. Another thing worth seeing is Hacienda Yaxcopoil, 20 minutes to the south of Merida... a old hacienda that has been turned into a museum.

You really can't go wrong. Pick one, enjoy it, enjoy the people you meet along the way and just relax. That's what the Yucatan is all about....

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i8395-One_Day_I…

UK
Level Contributor
97 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Merida to Isla Mujeres & day trips from Merida

Thank you YucatanLiving that's very helpful and I hadn't heard of a couple of those places. Your 'One day' guide is very helpful too.

JA

UK
Level Contributor
97 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Merida to Isla Mujeres & day trips from Merida

Thank you YucatanLiving that's very helpful and I hadn't heard of a couple of those places. Your 'One day' guide is very helpful too.

JA

Merida
Destination Expert
for Merida
Level Contributor
1,394 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Merida to Isla Mujeres & day trips from Merida

my pleasure....anytime!

Columbus, Indiana
Level Contributor
192 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Merida to Isla Mujeres & day trips from Merida

If you are in Merida on a Monday, you can do the tour of the working hacienda - it's only open several days of the week and Monday is one of them. You are picked up at your door in an air-conditioned bus and returned there. One of the highlights is a swim in a cenote. There is also a tour of Chicen Itza that somehow combines with your transportation back to Cancun/Isla. We didn't do that but the cost is close to that of the bus trip, as I recall. To get from Cancun bus station to ferry, take a taxi (about 3.00).

6. Re: Merida to Isla Mujeres & day trips from Merida

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:32 am, August 26, 2009