We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One day on the island ! Help !

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
One day on the island ! Help !

My girlfriend and I arrive to cancun on Sunday !

We will take a day to spend exploring the island. I think I have my research pretty well packed as far as get there around 9:30ish rent a golf cart , got my map chick .

But I'd like to hear from the experts or anyone that has visited what are some must visit places ! Including beach clubs and restaurants ! Go!

Seattle
Level Contributor
2,068 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One day on the island ! Help !

Look, The Island is small (end to end 15 min) just go where the wind takes you and you will still see most everything. Skip Breakfast, go to Playa Luncheros for Tikin Xic for a early lunch and finish up with Shrimp and Fish Tacos at Bally Hoo (Near the ferry) best two meals in Isla (most popular as well)

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
44,890 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One day on the island ! Help !

Well, everyone is different . . . all depends on what you like . . .did you read the Mapchick map to see what there is here? Same goes for food - we all have our favorites. And there are several food blogs you can read under Top Questions as well - that may help. I like to follow my nose.

I would go early & stay late - me, I would probably come for breakfast, eat a snack/lunch somewhere and dinner after sunset. I would enjoy driving around the island for a few hours - go all the way to the south end, stop at the turtle farm, etc. And then I would return my cart and walk down Hidalgo and find my way to Playa norte or Playa Sol for the afternoon/evening. :)

Edited: 8:53 pm, August 17, 2016
Southern California
Level Contributor
15,237 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: One day on the island ! Help !

I may be one of the few people that does not care for the Playa Lancheros fish meal, but it is personal taste.I agree with staying late, have lunch maybe at one of the places along Medina (it gets hot on Hidalgo during the day) and then stay for drinks and dinner. Always liked to finish up a stay on Isla with dinner at Casa Rolandi the last night, eat out on the dock watching the sun set. The food is not cheap, but if you order carefully you can keep the costs within reason.

Seattle
Level Contributor
2,068 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One day on the island ! Help !

Casa Rolandi will require you to turn your cart in as the rental places close kinda early and then take a taxi back to mid island. There are may great places in town after you drop your cart off just walk till you see what sounds good

Texas Gulf Coast...
Level Contributor
7,917 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One day on the island ! Help !

Frank S,

Glad you reposted here on the correct Isla TA forum. Look to the right >>>>>>> and the 9th subject down under Top Questions about Isla Mujeres (you must be using either a tablet or a laptop as these topics frequently do not appear on your cell web browser):

What Are Some Must Do Activities?

or a few more down:

Day Trip: How should I spend my One Day on Isla?

The first thread here has some excellent suggestions, that you should be able to nicely cross-reference with your Mapchick maps. Most importantly just relax and enjoy yourself; Isla is truly magical.

¡Diviértanse!

bemidji minnesota
Level Contributor
8,162 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One day on the island ! Help !

I would recommend trying to get to the island by 9, when most of the cart places open. I love Mango Cafe for breakfast or lunch but if it is really hot, Da Luisa has a beautiful view and breeze on the east coast side.

Fife Lake, Michigan
Level Contributor
76 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One day on the island ! Help !

Try bastos for great chips and salsa and steak quesadillas! Punta sur is a nice place to stop at for the views.

Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
3,397 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: One day on the island ! Help !

I would explore the Island, skip breakfast save yourself for El Veradero's seafood platter on the lagoon and then head to North Beach specifically Fenix for a leisurely afternoon with their Cuban band and on the way back to the ferry grab a couple cocktails and watch the sunset. Enjoy your time on the Island!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
708 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: One day on the island ! Help !

I think a stop at Villa la Bella is a MUST. Beautiful spot with the best pina colada you will get anywhere on the island.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
4,735 posts
259 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: One day on the island ! Help !

After picking up our golf cart from Indios we headed over to the turtle farm, then over to Punta Sur - what a windy but beautiful park to walk around for an hour or so. It was almost noon, so we backtracked to 'The Joint' for cervezas and nachos, sitting on the outside deck under a tree that kept a few raindrops off of us. Then we drove along the Caribbean side of the island back into town and explored the stores beach and had a late lunch of shrimp tacos with out feet in the sand.

So in other words, be a free spirit and just enjoy the island!

Oh - and watch out for the ATMs. Haven't seen any recent reports, but a bunch of us had our cards skimmed at the ATM that sits outside the bank near the ferry terminal earlier this year.