We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Isla Mujeres Going To Be Too Crowded?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Charlotte, North...
2 posts
Save Topic
Is Isla Mujeres Going To Be Too Crowded?

My wife and I are staying at the Sun Palace in Cancun 7/30 - 8/4. And even though we have done many of the major excursions on previous trips we've not been to Isla Mujeres. I'm thinking about a day trip there to rent a golf cart, drive around, have lunch and return before dinner .However I saw one post that said the island can have as many as 20,000 visitors because local schools are out and many of the Yucatan locals do the same thing we are thinking about. Should we put this day trip on hold until our next Cancun trip?

Also, I would appreciate a few suggestions on what we should do there.

Thanks a bunch

Isla Mujeres, Mexico
Level Contributor
2,707 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Isla Mujeres Going To Be Too Crowded?

You have all the information you need to make your decision. You will have to get to the island early to get a golf cart-there are only ~550 available to rent to the 15,000 to 20,000 visitors who come every day. They come from all over Mexico, not just the Yucatan. Lunch and dinner are not a problem as most national tourists arrive with their lunch in a cooler and most do not stay for dinner. Sidewalks and beaches will be very crowded during the day. It is up to you to decide whether the crowds will interfere with your enjoyment of your day.

On the right side of this page is a list of "Top Questions"-you need a tablet or computer to access this feature. One question is about what to do and see on a day trip to the island and you will find a wealth of information there to help you decide how to spend your day.

Edited: 11:55 am, July 21, 2016
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,957 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Isla Mujeres Going To Be Too Crowded?

We just did a day trip on July 15. We had a blast. Yes, it was crowded but it didn't affect our time there. The main place that was the most crowded was Playa Norte. Restaurants and the streets did not seem overcrowded to me. We had both lunch and dinner on the island and didn't leave until after dark since we stayed to watch sunset.

We took the 11:30 a.m. ferry and arrived to the island around noon. We took a little longer getting our golf cart as we sought out at a place that would let us have it past 5:00 and got one of the last ones. But we got it.

Something we were unaware of was that alot of places close at 5:00. So we missed ziplining and almost missed Punta Sur--the absolute highlight. I won't lie--we pretty much begged and tipped the guy to let us in but it worked and we enjoyed it thoroughly. Don't miss it.

Bring lots of sunscreen and a hat. Even with both, I finally had to ditch my tank top and just wore my bikini top the whole day it was sooooo hot.

I posted a trip about our day and it's a little ways down the page.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,957 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Isla Mujeres Going To Be Too Crowded?

Here is the link to my TR.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g15081…

Isla Mujeres, Mexico
Level Contributor
2,707 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Isla Mujeres Going To Be Too Crowded?

Just keep in mind that July15 was the last day of school and things are different here now.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,957 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Isla Mujeres Going To Be Too Crowded?

Oh no, really?! Well we still saw a ton of kids, especially that night on the beach. Maybe they were all out celebrating!

Isla Mujeres, Mexico
Level Contributor
2,707 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Isla Mujeres Going To Be Too Crowded?

I'll bet you are exactly right!

Lenexa, Kansas
Level Contributor
2,873 posts
234 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Isla Mujeres Going To Be Too Crowded?

Ray - If possible get to the island early (before 9:00 am). I would head to Punta Sur first since it will be hot. Then take your time driving around the island.

8. Re: Is Isla Mujeres Going To Be Too Crowded?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, July 24, 2017