We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Punta Sur/Lighthouse outside Garrafon?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Chicago
Level Contributor
41 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Punta Sur/Lighthouse outside Garrafon?

Does anyone know if you can currently see Punta Sur and the lighthouse/Mayan ruins on Isla Mujeres without paying the high fees for the Garrafon park? I am going to IM in a few weeks. Has anyone seen Punta Sur and the lighthouse - is it a good sight to see?

Thanks!

Michele

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
15,736 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Punta Sur/Lighthouse outside Garrafon?

It doesn't cost anything to go to the top of the lighthouse. The lighthouse and the small Mayan ruins on the south end of the island are not part of the Garrafon park. Right past the lighthouse there is a booth where you pay (I think US$3.00) if you want to walk all the way down to the end of Punta Sur. You should be able to walk from there to Garrafon, but I'm guessing access has been blocked to keep non-paying guests out of Garrafon.

The lighthouse offers some good pictures, nice place to stop if you're touring around the island.

2. Re: Punta Sur/Lighthouse outside Garrafon?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:20 pm, August 20, 2009