We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Isla Mujeres day trip

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Georgia
Level Contributor
227 posts
Save Topic
Isla Mujeres day trip

Hi! I know this topic has been posted a million times before... Sorry! I couldn't find what I was looking for fast enough. ;o) I am planning an outing with my girlfriends to Isla Mujeres in about 2 weeks. To save time, we'll just catch the ferry from Fat Tuesday's.

What's the ferry schedule from there? Is there just one departure at 10am that returns at 5:30pm? Are there any restaurants closeby to grab breakfast while we wait? I'm looking at my Cancun map and I think I remember hearing good things about La Palapa Belga...? Once we arrive in Isla, is it pretty easy to find the golf carts, shopping, etc? I know it's not very big! I'd love to know the top 3 picks for lunch. I'm basically asking for a walk-through of the day!

Thanks for bearing with me and I look forward to your responses.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,585 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Isla Mujeres day trip

Hi there! Well, I am not sure of that ferry, just familiar with the main one (Puerto Juarez, I believe?) Anyhow, that main ferry goes from early am until about 10:30 at night.

Yes, shopping and golf carts are easy to find and plentiful - so many places to eat. You can find places near the ferry docks, on the beach and on the main drag like Hidalgo. You can zip all around the island, if that is what you want to do, or you can head to the North end of the island - the beach is gorgeous there. You could also do a short snorkel trip - Aqua Adventures is a good place to arrange a short one.

Favorite restaurants - Chili Locos, Alexis & Geovanni's, Sergio's, to start with - there are many - just follow your nose! Yummy dessert at Color de Verano. You also might want to go try an island specialty - tix & chix (I am butchering the spelling) sounds like teak and sheik - great grilled fish. Anyhow, that is available on the south/central area of the island (not to far from the turtle farm) at Playa Loncheros or Playa Tiberon.

I would highly recommend picking up a map of Isla Mujeres from the mapchick - www.cancunmap.com or www.mapchick.com. It's very detailed and would be a great help to you. Good luck and have a great time!! :)

Minnesota
Level Contributor
894 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Isla Mujeres day trip

Do the snorkel trips have to be arranged in advance, or can you just walk up and book one?

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
40,585 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Isla Mujeres day trip

zeebo - you can arrange ahead with some places, but there are many you can do the day of, which sometimes is best because of the weather conditions. If you want a long snorkel trip, go to Isla Contoy with Capt. Tony. You can talk with him either the night before or in the morning . . . also have used Aqua Adventures for a shorter snorkel - I believe they do them every afternoon. There are a few other places that offer snorkel trips as well, but it's nice to go with someone you know that has a good reputation. Good luck! :)

ca
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Isla Mujeres day trip

anyone know how easy it is to catch the ferry from barcelo colonial resort in puerto juarez to the ferry dock in puerto juarez? i.e., where is the ferry dock located, what transportation to use to get to ferry dock, fee, running times? ferry cost and ferry schedule? and any other tips.

where to go to rent golf carts once on isla mujeres? cost?

thanks for your help. =0)

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
40,585 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Isla Mujeres day trip

Luvnlife: not sure about where your resort is, but taxis and buses are plenitful. You can also arrange transport via a service like Best Day or Cancun Valet. The ferry runs early in the am to late at night - I think last ferry leaves Isla at 10:30pm or so and I believe they run every half hour - ferry cost is $3.50 pp - one way.

golf carts are readily available - I believe about $50 for a full day or by the hour, depending on the business. You'll see them for rent as soon as you get off the ferry.

Any other tips - yes, get a map of Isla from the mapchick - it's invaluable - lists all the information you want to know, and more - restaurant details, accommodation, etc. Much more than a normal map - www.cancunmap.com. best of luck to you! :)

ca
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Isla Mujeres day trip

thank you so much coalminer. =0) ordered my map from mapchick today... wow, what would we do without her. ;)

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
40,585 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Isla Mujeres day trip

oh, good - you'll be all set - have a wonderful time! :)

ca
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Isla Mujeres day trip

whoops.... coalminer, forgot to ask..... should we just ask the taxi or bus driver for "Gran Puerto Cancun" and they'll know it's the ferry terminal, or what should we ask for and do we need to ask for it in spanish (LOL)? Do the taxi/bus drivers and people working at the ferry terminal speak any English? thanks

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
40,585 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Isla Mujeres day trip

luvnlife: Almost everyone we dealt with in the transportation industry spoke excellent English, so I don't think you have to worry about that part of communicating. When you get your Isla map from the mapchick, I believe she gives specific details on getting to the ferry, so just bring that with you and you should have no problemo. :)

ca
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Isla Mujeres day trip

mucho gracias, senor. LOL =0)