We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trust the Waiter?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Isla Mujeres hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Potomac, Maryland
Level Contributor
804 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
Trust the Waiter?

One of our best early meals in Italy was an evening when we sat down and the waiter leaned over confidentially to us and asked (in Italian): "Do you trust me?" When we assured him that we did, he picked the menus off the table, left, and shortly afterwards the food started arriving - multiple courses of all different foods, all delicious, for (it turned out) a very reasonable price. It later became clear that this is fairly common there. Are they using up leftovers? Maybe, but if it is good, I don't care. Are there any places on Isla where you go the "trust the waiter" route and just tell them to bring what is best that night? And is the result something interesting, or just a common dish?

Grayslake, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,711 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trust the Waiter?

I would do that at abuelos. Awesome fresh seafood prepared by a creative chef.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
9,833 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trust the Waiter?

It's pretty much the way it works at Lolo Lorena. She serves a five-course prix fixe dinner and you never know which dishes are being served until you arrive. On our last anniversary she included her delicious shrimp reduction on one of the courses because she remembered how much I enjoyed it the year before.

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
19,464 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trust the Waiter?

Same with us in Italy and also frequently in Merida and Mexico City at restaurants to which we've often been. On Isla they have recommended certain dishes which we either accepted or not, depending on what it was, but never a full "leave it to us" kind of experience.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
9,833 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trust the Waiter?

A friend came back from Italy and told me he went to a sidewalk café and the bill turned out to be much higher than anticipated. When he questioned the waiter, he took one of the charges off the bill, a charge that had been identified only by an acronym. When my friend asked what that was, it turned out to be a common phrase that translates to "if it goes, it goes." Apparently it was common to add this charge but just as common to take it off if questioned. So in Italy, trust the waiter but keep your eye on him just the same.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
642 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trust the Waiter?

I've had good luck and bad luck with the "trust the waiter" scenario. Our bad luck happened in Isla at LaBruja. We decided to let the waiter pick our meal for us at his suggestion. We had a fantastic seafood dinner for 2 but it cost about$55US for the one plate, then of course, we added cocktails, etc. I think dinner ended up being around $85 or more if I remember correctly. Now LaBruja is an inexpensive restaurant so we were not expecting a meal at that price and feel that, although it was really good, we were taken advantage of. Live and learn. Next time, I'll be sure to say, "yes I trust you but keep the cost at or under XXX".

6. Re: Trust the Waiter?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 3:21 pm, June 07, 2014
Edited: 3:21 pm, June 07, 2014
7. Re: Trust the Waiter?

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 3:18 pm, June 07, 2014
Edited: 3:18 pm, June 07, 2014
Potomac, Maryland
Level Contributor
804 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trust the Waiter?

Hopefully clear, but my question was really just whether you ever put yourself in the waiter's hands when ordering and see what happens. It had nothing to do with whether waiters on Isla are trustworthy generally. DMartin, you are right to remind us that Lolo Lorena is that kind of experience- we have reservations there (!) but hadn't thought of it that way. and Capiegirl makes good point that giving parameters around pricing are a good idea!

9. Re: Trust the Waiter?

Removed on: 4:05 pm, June 07, 2014
Edited: 4:05 pm, June 07, 2014
new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
19,464 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trust the Waiter?

The "inflammatory" addition had nothing to do with waiters or trust and was completely off topic. Just want the OP to know that yes, the question was very clear and was not misunderstood in the least.