We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One or two day Golf Cart rental?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Isla Mujeres hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Libertyville, IL
Level Contributor
622 posts
133 reviews
Save Topic
One or two day Golf Cart rental?

We are heading to Isla on Friday.

Definitely want to rent a cart one day to tool around the island. Main destination will be Punta Sur and a visit to Playa Lancheros for lunch.

We are staying at Ixchel.

We'd also like to snorkel at Garrafon Castilla.

Should we this in two days -- perhaps Sunday and then again on Wednesday? Or can we do it all in one day....

Kenai
Level Contributor
677 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One or two day Golf Cart rental?

I would keep it for two days straight so you can have a leisurely dinner and breakfast out without worrying about returning the cart... You'll love driving all around trying out all the great places on the south end of the island. After that you could revisit a favorite by cab later in the week.

Libertyville, IL
Level Contributor
622 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One or two day Golf Cart rental?

excellent idea!

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
10,120 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One or two day Golf Cart rental?

You could do a tour and snorkel all in one day, but we like to do as colleen suggests and rent it for 24-hour periods in order to have it overnight. That makes it easy to have a dinner somewhere outside of Centro. You find the cart rentals have 3 rates: one hourly, one for a 9-5 rental and another for 24 hours. If you opt for 24 hours, try not to pick it up first thing in the morning or you'll be expected to return it by that time the next day, when you might rather be out having breakfast somewhere. We usually pick up a cart in the afternoon for a 24-hour rental. If you plan out what you want to do and where you want to go with the cart, a logical time will present itself.

Morton, IL
Level Contributor
935 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: One or two day Golf Cart rental?

There is a newer golf cart place next door to Ixchel called Luxury Cart Rental. These are the black carts with gold logo. They may be a few pesos more than other rental places, but it was so convenient to stop in to see if & when they have carts available. They knew when the 24 hour rentals were due back, so they would give us an idea of when to come by. Because it's high season, they may be sold out most days, as was our experience, but at least they give you a general idea of when to come back.

They won't hold the cart for you though, so if someone else walks up 10 minutes before you do, they'll get it. I suggest if they tell you 11a.m., walk over at 10 or 10:30 to see if the cart was brought back early. I believe they will reserve a 24 hour rental but only for pickup early in the morning, not midday.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,405 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One or two day Golf Cart rental?

You could certainly do Punta Sur, Snorkelling at Garrafon de Castilla and lunch at Playa Lancheros, but that will not leave a lot of time left for exploring the rest of Isla if you have a 9-5 rental. I would suggest a second day so that you can have one day for your planned activities and then a second day for general poking around. I have found many amazing little spots by just poking around and stopping here and there when i see something that catches my eye.

Meadow Lands...
Level Contributor
1,747 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One or two day Golf Cart rental?

The day you arrive, walk out onto the road and take a taxi to Punta Sur. It will cost you 20 pesos. ( plus tip) Ask your driver ( in Spanish if you have some) to point out things as you go along if you don't have a Mapchick map. Plan to spend at least an hour just getting googly-eyed at Punta Sur. Walk around; soak it in. It's glorious. When you've had your fill, catch another taxi and take in the Caribbean side on your way back to the hotel. After this little experiment, you will have a better idea about the lay of the land. Let me interject here that we saw the island for the first time on a golf cart, but there were hardly any people at all around during that visit so we could drive at a very leisurely pace.

I realize I am in the minority here, but our last visit sold us on walking more and taking taxis when we wanted to go a longer distance. In our defense, the island was CRAWLING with golf carts making it less pleasant than just walking. There are very long sections on the Caribbean side that are perfect for taking your time on foot and NOT worrying about a golf cart. JMHO JMHO JMHO - -One size does not fit all.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,145 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One or two day Golf Cart rental?

I think it would cost more then 20 pesos from Ixchel all the way to Punta Sur no?

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
760 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: One or two day Golf Cart rental?

78 pesos from centro to Garrafon de Castilla, maybe same or a little more to Punta Sur in Jan and Feb.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,145 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: One or two day Golf Cart rental?

Thats what i thought when i saw cab prices by the cab stand.

Ontario
Level Contributor
349 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: One or two day Golf Cart rental?

I ditto the walking idea. We stayed on the airstrip last year and walked as far as playa Lancheros. Then took the bus back so much fun (and cheap!) Also walking down along the malecon at the south end is beautiful! Hubby is minus a bunion this year, so hoping for lots more walking adventures... Plus makes room for all the wonderful food! 4 sleeps to go! staying at El Milagro this year for a new experience... soooo excited!!!!