We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

budget + misquitoes

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
238 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
budget + misquitoes

2 questions

You regulars out there..... I have a budget of aprox 2300 Pecos a day. We are nondrinkers but will be eating all our meals out. We have already prepaid for a couple excursions & hotel + airport transfers.

We will be spending 90% of time on beach so will need to rent beach chairs & umbrella most days + rent a golf cart at least 2 days

In your opinions would our budget cover us???

We have been to Mexico a few times but not in such a touristy area so imagine prices are higher then the small fishing villages we have enjoyed in the past

Question 2 - are there mosquitoes ?? will we need heavy duty spray?

As usual thanks for your time:)

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
238 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: budget + misquitoes

I should have added there are 2 of us

Canada
Level Contributor
1,192 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: budget + misquitoes

The budget will cover you.... and me, and a couple more! Husband and I rarely spend more than 1500 a day. Some examples of average prices: 2 beach chairs and umbrella are 100 pesos, a beer 30-50 pesos, a margarita 50-80 pesos but since you are a non-drinker: a coca cola: about 15-25 pesos, a one-liter juice/agua fresca: 20-35.

It's very rare that I'm bothered by mosquitoes and that's coming from someone that mozzies are particularly fond of. Sometimes around dusk, depending where you are. I mostly do not need bug spray.

Have a great trip.

New Carlisle, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,173 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: budget + misquitoes

We usually do fine on $100USD a day (for two) but we're not big drinkers (just a beer with lunch and a margarita with dinner.) There are SO many food choices on Isla. When I was on Isla alone in Feb., I sometimes ate in the square - for 30MP I could get a whole plate full of really good food.

Mosquitoes are usually not much of a problem on Isla, depending on where you're staying. No problem in breezy areas (north, and Caribe side.) The only place we had a problem was staying at La Joya one summer - we were eaten up (but we might have been there at a bad time, so YMMV.)

Boston
Level Contributor
604 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: budget + misquitoes

We are non-drinkers as well, but tend to get "virgin" frozen drinks at the beach that cost just as much as alcohol drinks. You can definitely get away with that budget for 2 people. You can eat at the loncherias for breakfast or lunch, kash keken chuc has inexpensive but delicious food to take out or eat there, plenty of places to eat that don't cost a lot of money.

The mosquitoes have only bothered me once on Isla. That was at Fenix at night, we were sitting near the back where the pathway is. I had to move towards the front/bar area and then I was fine.

Kenai
Level Contributor
692 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: budget + misquitoes

Bring spray for evening.. a small purse bottle just in case (look at the sample are in your local grocery) Not many mosquitos on Isla but there are no seeums and sand fleas.. We rarely used our spray there and biters LOVE me! Thats a very healthy budget!! Wooohoooooo

Ontario
Level Contributor
7,328 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: budget + misquitoes

I budget the equivalent of $100 CAD in pesos (approx. 1200 just for one person) and it pays for my housekeeper, taxis, food/drinks including several beers a day..I also eat where I want and what I want..I don't go for the cheapest thing on the menu unless of course I actually want to eat that lol. This amount also covers misc. things like going to the Super Xpress for items for my room or some souvenir money or a snorkel tour etc. More often than not, I have money left over at the end of the day and I put it towards the next day.

Bugs...I never experienced any unless I was in an area with vegetation..I agree with the recommendation to take it, that way you have it if you need it.

Have fun!

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
41,487 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: budget + misquitoes

I can't recall ever seeing a mosquito . . . perhaps that varies with the time of year as well?

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
283 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: budget + misquitoes

Re: mosquitos.

Bring repellant with high % of deet. Last October (lots of rain) I got bit by a dengue fever carrier. I don't remember the bite, but I do remember the six days I spent in a Cancun hospital. In previous years, 10 trips, no problem, but if you hit a rainy stretch use your insect repellant daily especially at night.

Steamboat Springs...
Level Contributor
819 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: budget + misquitoes

Make sure you are not allergic to DEET before applying. Some of us can't use it at all. I use the bug bracelets, one for my ankle, one for my wrist, non-chemical repellant lotion (I think it's Burt's) and use the DEET fan if we are eating somewhere where it's really bad.

Anywhere there is a breeze you are usually fine!

When dining on the beach under a palm tree at sunset is when we got bit, and also at the Joint. Anywhere near/around heavy vegetation with zero breeze you are bound to have biters.

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
3,493 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: budget + misquitoes

I budget 1000p a day for 2 of us and we never skimp so I think you will come home with a nice start for your next vacation on Isla!

I did get bit in early March but that was in an area with vegetation over by Playa La Media Luna in the evening when we were exploring. So depending on where you staying, I'd say be prepared. They really take a piece out of you.