We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Will we be bored?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Newfoundland
Level Contributor
44 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Will we be bored?

Have been going to Mexico since the early 90s and usually head to Puerto Valarta and stay in Old Town where we can mingle with the locals and expats and try the local flavours. Will be back to PV in April but decided to try a week in Isla in late January to change things up. We have been to PDC Cancun and Cozumel as well and while we enjoyed aspects of each, we have no plans to return. DW tells me she thinks we will be bored as Isla is pretty small compared to PV. We like getting off the beaten track and trying local cuisine and PV is great for this. Will Isla disappoint or do you think we will have plenty to do during our 8 day stay.

Mentioned in this post
Cozumel
Cozumel
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
72 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Will we be bored?

Yes, you will be bored......

Of course you won't be bored do you think we would all go year after year if it was boring? Remember , bored is a state of mind.

Olathe, Kansas
Level Contributor
1,772 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Will we be bored?

Many ways to get off the beaten path and try new foods. We have been to PV, Cozumel, Ixtapa, Cancun, Playa and last year we came to Isla for a week. This year we are coming back for 2 weeks. We cannot wait to try all the places we did not make it to last year and explore the island more. It is a different vibe than the places you have been to before. I agree with dodger that bored is a state of mind. Have a great time.

Mentioned in this post
Cozumel
Cozumel
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
new york
Level Contributor
20,751 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Will we be bored?

Rent a golf cart and make sure to get out of centro and into the various colonias (neighborhoods) where there are lots of small "mom and pop" type places at which to eat as well as larger, more upscale ones such as Limon. Plenty of chances of sample local cuisine even in centro, however, if you go to the small loncherias outside of the market on Guerrero, or to Poc Chuc on Juarez.

As for will you be bored? Hard to say. If you need lots of activities and quickly get restless lying around a pool or on the beach then perhaps yes, you will be. But if you're happy with beach/pool/golf cart rides and just chilling and taking in the local vibe, then you won't be. Only you know how much or how little you need in order to stay unbored :)

Mentioned in this post
Limon
Limon
781 Reviews
Isla Mujeres, Mexico
Guerrero
Guerrero
Pacific Coast, Mexico
Poc Chuc
Poc Chuc
382 Reviews
Isla Mujeres, Mexico
Wyoming
Level Contributor
2,047 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Will we be bored?

LOL, been coming here since 99...started with 2 weeks and have now worked up to 5 months...can honestly say I have never been bored on Isla or anywhere else for that matter. But, I come from a very small town where there is not much to do...I am in heaven walking along the beach, through a neighborhood, reading a book. I just don't let myself get bored. I also agree that bored is a state of mind.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
3,734 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Will we be bored?

I can't say I was bored on Isla when we spent the day there, but I did make the determination it wasn't somewhere I would want to spend a week. There are tons of food options, but not a whole lots else, beach dwelling and wandering aside. We snorkelled at one of the beach clubs, visited the turtle sanctuary, went to Punta Sur, drive around the island through little towns etc on the golf cart, wandered through the main parts of the north end etc. and we felt we pretty much ran out of things we wanted to do (we didn't want to lie on the beach and couldn't have eaten another bite of food that day). There were excursions you could do - boats, diving, etc. which you might enjoy - only you really know what you need to make a holiday enjoyable.

Mentioned in this post
Punta Sur
Punta Sur
2,841 Reviews
Isla Mujeres, Mexico
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
324 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Will we be bored?

Personally reading what you posted I think you will be bored. My suggestion would be to go to

Zihuatanejo if you haven't been there. It has much more of what you are looking for.

7 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Will we be bored?

Things you can do to stop being bored:

1. Eat

2. Drink

3. Go for a swim on Playa Norte

4. Read a good book under a Palm tree.

5. Count your toes

6. Eat some more

7. Drink some more

8. Ride the gentle current by Caribbean Queen

9. Count your toes again...just to make sure

10. Sorry. That's all I can think of.

Rinse and repeat as necessary.

Mentioned in this post
Playa Norte
Playa Norte
6,329 Reviews
Isla Mujeres, Mexico
New England
Level Contributor
1,610 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Will we be bored?

Based on our experience of both Isla and Playa del Carmen, I don't think you would be bored, but I suspect it might be a one trip destination for you (though not for others, us included). We liked Isla mainly for the vibe. It seems to attract a different type of visitor than Cancun or Playa. When we were these people were very laid back and slow to get moving in the morning. When we arrived at our favorite beach (Sergios, now sadly closed) club each morning at 11am or so, we were usually the first there. Contrast that with PDC where the beach was crowed by that time.

Regarding beaches I found Playa Note to be a big letdown - very commericialized, though the very northwest corner of the island as it wraps around from Playa Sol to Playa Norte is one of my favorite swimming spots anywhere.However if walking the beach for relatively long distances is your thing, forget about Isla. We found the amazing Playa Maroma north of Playa del Carmen and even the beaches in and around PDC itself to be better for this purpose.

When it comes to cruising around either on a bicycle or a golf cart, Isla is great, though one can do this in a relatively short time.

Eating out? Isla excels in this respect with many cuisines represented and not a chain restaurant in sight. No Senor Frogs here thank god! I think overall I would give an edge to PDC for the quality of the restaurants, but for local cuisine you'll likely do better on Isla. Avoid the Sunset Grill, Cafe del Mar and Olivias. They are not what you appear to be looking for.

One other point is the contrast between the east and west sides of the island is amazing.

Conclusion? Give it a shot. Visit the Colonias and spend as little time as possible on Hidalgo.

Edited: 12:19 am, December 08, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Playa Norte
Playa Norte
6,329 Reviews
Isla Mujeres, Mexico
Sunset Grill
Sunset Grill
397 Reviews
Isla Mujeres, Mexico
Harrisburg PA
Level Contributor
228 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Will we be bored?

I guess a major consideration of "boredom" involves how much you expect to be entertained, as opposed to how much you take advantage of the entertainment around you. Isla is a discoverer's paradise; there are venues that lay it all out for you, but, to me, anyway, that's not what exploration is all about.

Unfortunately, Isla will never be what it used to be, but it is still a jewel amongst all the AIs and resorts that are becoming so common. Take the previous advice and explore the Colonias, don't spend a lot of time on Hidalgo, stay at a smaller and more intimate lodging (if you are looking for Miami, stay in Miami), try new food and enjoy Playa Norte.

I must diverge, however, about Olivia's. It is a must do. Excellent food (not truly Mexican), great vibes, and wonderful people. Sunset Grill is very good, the staff is great, the location is aces, but not very Mexican.

There are many truly native (small) restaurants that will satisfy.

At any rate, open your mind, forget the stage shows, and blend in with the Island.....you won't forget it.

Oh...and get a copy of MapChick's Isla map...$$ well spent.

Mentioned in this post
Playa Norte
Playa Norte
6,329 Reviews
Isla Mujeres, Mexico
Sunset Grill
Sunset Grill
397 Reviews
Isla Mujeres, Mexico
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
4,184 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Will we be bored?

May I ask....is there enough off the beach snorkeling IF snorkeling is our main activity to not be bored for say 9 days? I'm looking for a new place to go beyond the USVI and Hawaii. Thanks...