We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where is this at on Isla?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Isla Mujeres hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
baltimore
Level Contributor
3,072 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
Where is this at on Isla?

I did a private catamaran rental last year and we stopped at Isla for some lunch and shopping. This was my first time to Isla and was wondering what area on the island did they take us. The only thing I remember is the beach was very wide and soft white sand, there was a main street that ran along side it with shops and restaurants, there was a pier we dock up at that had a small netted off area that had a small shark in it.

Does anyone have any idea where on the island this is?

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,405 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where is this at on Isla?

The description of the shops and restaurants sounds like you were somewhere in Centro, but the area where a lot of the catamarans dock that has a shark in a pen is down at Playa Lancheros. I don't know of a shark down in the Centro area.

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
19,574 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where is this at on Isla?

I was thinking the same, Rick. Plus there's no main road with lots of shops and restaurants running by either Playa Lancheros or Tiburon. That sounds more like Hidalgo or Rueda Medina. The only place I can think of is the catamaran docking by where Sergio's Playa Sol used to be then walking on Rueda Medina. But there's no shark in that area that I know of either.

Jiffer, are you talking about different areas you went to or describing just one: Where you landed and hung out?

Chatham, Canada
Level Contributor
2,455 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where is this at on Isla?

We stopped at a beach club for lunch, it might be one exclusive to Samba Catamaran when we did the catamaran tour, it was towards the south end of the island and there was a shark penned in by a long dock, all I can tell by some of my pictures is it was a little south of a resort with a white pyramid shape roof on it, and next door there was a place or small resort that had a old sail boat propped up on the beach,don't know if that helps for the location or not.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,405 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where is this at on Isla?

The place you are describing is at Playa Lancheros. The resort is to the left if you're facing the shore from the water and is called Isla Mujeres Palace and there is a small pen on the left as you are walking down the long dock where the shark is kept. The private club for the catamarans is to the right once you are off the dock on the beach. However, there are really no shops and other restaurants in the immediate area.

Edited: 7:17 pm, December 01, 2013
Chatham, Canada
Level Contributor
2,455 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where is this at on Isla?

It really is a shame that this beautiful creature has to be penned up in a 12 X12 just for the sake of a photo op and a few peso's from tourists.

baltimore
Level Contributor
3,072 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where is this at on Isla?

If i remember correctly we didnt take any vehicle around the island. We got off the boat and walked across a wide sandy beach. Im pretty sure it was a 2 lane road we crossed and we wandered around shops along the road. It was a very busy area. The beach was busy also.

The catamaran company arranged for us to eat lunch at a place on the beach close by where we docked

Edited: 8:36 pm, December 01, 2013
baltimore
Level Contributor
3,072 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where is this at on Isla?

If i remember correctly we didnt take any vehicle around the island. We got off the boat and walked across a wide sandy beach. Im pretty sure it was a 2 lane road we crossed and we wandered around shops along the road. It wasnt like thousands of shops but we did wander in and our of about 15 or more shops, It was a busy area. The beach was busy also.

baltimore
Level Contributor
3,072 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where is this at on Isla?

this was the tour catamaran company we used. Maybe this might give someone some insight on where we were.

http://www.cancun-catamarans.com/tours.html

London, Canada
Level Contributor
117 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where is this at on Isla?

Looking at the itinerary that is definitely two different areas you were at....downtown Isla (busy beach and many shops) and the Albatros beach club where the shark is. The Albatros is towards the south end and the shops and busy beach at the north end.

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
19,574 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where is this at on Isla?

Jiffer, that sounds like you docked at Sergio's Playa Sol or by Caribbean Queen. I've seen cats dock there. And if you walked across the two lane road and there were tons of shops and restaurants that was either Rueda Medina or Hidalgo or both. No shark though.

And ITA with cravethewave about the penned up shark.