We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

List of items needed by the Red Cross on Isla

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Wyoming
Level Contributor
2,047 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
List of items needed by the Red Cross on Isla

This was posted on another Isla sight. Thought some of you might want to help in this area. We head out today...looking forward to meeting a lot of people from this forum...

This is an update wish list for the Cruz Roja Isla Mujeres

blood preasure coff

stethoscopes

mylar sheet

paramedic scissors

ambu bag

cervical collar

vandajes

gause

medium size gloves

oxigen regulator

pulse oximeter

cardiac monitor

aed

gloucometer and strips

alcohol swaps

iodine swaps

nasal canules

berman and guedel canules

airway kits

portable vhf fm radio

Casco De Rescate Gallet F-2 white

belt cutter

Southwest Michigan
Level Contributor
2,362 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: List of items needed by the Red Cross on Isla

FYI, the glucometer strips needed are meter specific, I will look for the info and post it.

Southwest Michigan
Level Contributor
2,362 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: List of items needed by the Red Cross on Isla

From a FB post re the strips from a person involved with the Red Cross....."remember... we only can use Contour, Contour Next and OneTouch... and we have a registry with all the people who came to the clinic and the meter they have!"

Denton, Texas...
Level Contributor
460 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: List of items needed by the Red Cross on Isla

The brands of strips needed are: Contour, Contour Next, and One Touch. I am headed down next Saturday with lots of stuff on this list! Cruz Roja will send you something on their letterhead in case of issues with customs/donations. Thank for posting this Wyobean! :)

Wyoming
Level Contributor
2,047 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: List of items needed by the Red Cross on Isla

Thanks for the clarifications...I have no medical knowledge so some of these things are not on my radar. Feel free to elaborate on anything else you need to.

Kenai
Level Contributor
680 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: List of items needed by the Red Cross on Isla

Iim bringing some medical supplies down... Bandages, I've starts, might have nasal canulas in there not sure. Also some sterile gloves.

Tulsa, Oklahoma
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: List of items needed by the Red Cross on Isla

Can you tell me what type of radio(s) are needed? Handheld? Vehicle mounted? Both? I have some marine type VHF FM radios if those would work. One handheld and a couple of vehicle mounted type which could be used as a base unit with a 12 Volt power supply. The only difficult part would be the antennas for the vehicle units as they are several feet long. It might be possible to get shorter antennas if these will work.

Ontario
Level Contributor
7,287 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: List of items needed by the Red Cross on Isla

I don't know if that list is up to date as I've taken 4-5 stethoscopes and 2 blood pressure kits down and they have remained on this ever since. I also hope you have a better experience with the staff than I did. I found them to be quite rude. When I've forked out a lot of my own money for items, I don't expect to hear "What do you want? We're sleeping!" at 10am.

ontario
Level Contributor
285 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: List of items needed by the Red Cross on Isla

steve f - you can pm me if you like. i'm just about to post a message more directly related to equipment

ontario
Level Contributor
285 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: List of items needed by the Red Cross on Isla

yes! they do need a radio system! the island has two cruz roja ambulances with 24 hr service covering a population of about 16000 permanent residents and twice that during high season. because they're chartered by the international red cross they can't accept aid from the government, it has to be by donation. everything is needed and gratefully accepted.

I think you should communicate directly with the supply manager - he is definitely interested. his name is geovanny de la ovalos (geovannydelao@hotmail.com). he could meet you at the ferry or you could go up to the ambulance base and drop it off.

the closest to anything like that I've taken has been a portable suction machine as carry-on.no problem at security or customs, they just ask you what it is and what its for - when you tell them its for isla ambulance they just help you pack it up and usually say thanks for helping.

thanks for your interest! i'll be there in march too, for carnival and beyond, always a great time.

Edited: 12:12 am, December 03, 2013
Wyoming
Level Contributor
2,047 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: List of items needed by the Red Cross on Isla

That list was posted a few hours before I posted it on here, so I can only assume it is up to date.