We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

After the First 26 days...update #3

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
London, Canada
Level Contributor
117 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
After the First 26 days...update #3

I've definitely been slacking off on my note taking! This might be a little shorter than my last reports!

My last update ended on Fri Nov 1st....before dinner. Ah, dinner. My fridge was empty, I was a little hungry so wandered next door to Casa Havana Café. I was just going to get a salad. But the second you walk in that door and smell the aromas you forget all about a salad. "Lobster por favor!" LOL. It was a beauty of a night so I sat outside and had my lobster dinner and of course a mojito. I've said it before but I'll say it again....the amount of food you get there is crazy! And soooo good! More people showed up so I sat outside and chatted a while with them. Pretty soon I got myself into a chair at their table and before you know it another hour had gone by. And probably another mojito...I don't quite remember! lol

Saturday Nov 2.....This was the first day of the Isla Spay and Neuter clinic. I volunteered for the afternoon shift. A wonderful group of people there volunteering. I so wanted this one pup...thankfully the owner showed up!

Sunday Nov 3....This was supposed to be my 2nd day volunteering at the spay/neuter clinic. But the weather was so bad they had to cancel it. BIG rain in the morning and continued all afternoon and all evening. It wasn't pretty. And then trying to get my dog to go out in that and do his thing....grrrr! I must say I am smoking less (good thing) as I can't smoke in my studio and impossible to smoke outside in this weather....2 puffs and it is soaked! Thank god for internet is all I've got to say when the weather is like this!

Monday Nov 4.....Cooler, windy, cloudy...huge waves on the Caribbean side. The afternoon brought some sun and clouds. At least it had stopped raining, for now! Made a trip to Chedraui to pick up my fave tequila for my friend who is coming to visit soon. Can you believe it? I finally took the 5 minute walk across to the western side to see my first sunset! Parked myself at Caribbean Queen with a pina colada and waited for the nightly spectacle. Ha!! Clouds, lots of them rolled in. Even though I didn't see the sun actually set it was still very pretty and my pictures turned out nice. On the way home I walked down Hidalgo. It sure looks different at night and with a different atmosphere. I really need to start going out after dark lol.

Tuesday Nov 5....omg,,,,sunshine! Time for a beach day! I stopped at Aluxes (sp?) and had a breakfast croissant and fresh OJ. It was fun sitting there watching all the goings on. Poc Na is nearby and I saw 2 different groups heading there with their luggage. I should say backpacks...these guys know how to travel lightly!

This was a frustrating beginning to my beach day. Every beach club I went to would not give me a break on the price even though I was solo. Everything is priced for 2 chairs and one umbrella. If I was here for a 'vacation' rather than 'snowbirding' I would just go with the flow and pay it and enjoy. It was so hot and I just wanted to park myself, get a cold drink and get in the water. So I continued walking until I came to what seems to be my 'go to' beach club. Caribbean Queen. It was busier today there than previously so I knew I wouldn't be able to bargain much today. As long as I spent 150p I could have front row, table and umbrella! I even had 2 chairs!Yes please and a pina colada to go with that por favor! They really do make a very good pina colada here. And they don't pressure you they just check on you to see if everything is ok. I also like the water here better for 'swimming' as you don't have to wade out forever to get cooled off. The beach vendors are a lot better here than other places I've been in Mexico...not pushy, just go on their way when you say 'no gracias'. I like that!

Rain in the evening and during the night.

Wednesday Nov 6....1 p.m. and it's been rainy, cloudy. Sure am glad I got some beach time in yesterday. I stayed in until about 3ish then ventured out and walked around the side streets in centro. On my way back I walked along the eastern shore...I just couldn't resist picking up some beach glass.

Pita Amore for dinner.....as good as ever. This time I remembered to pay lol. I was sitting on the malecon about sunset time and looked up. Wow...even on the eastern side it was spectacular. Beautiful, breezy evening on the Caribbean side.

Thursday Nov 7....Rain, rain all day. Thankfully it stopped a couple hours before the Isla Art Fair started. It ended up being a really nice evening. I managed to part with a few pesos.....beach glass pendants, bracelet and earrings from the Ladies Bead Co-op, a kooly/koozi cup to support Isla Animals and a tamale for my dinner.

Friday Nov 8.....NO rain! Sun, cloud..perfect! Did my beach walk and came home with a baggie of beach glass. I spent a good part of the day looking for anklet/bracelets...the kind you put your name on. You may have been over to the "Islaholics' FB page. Well, one of the things we thought would be cool would be to have these made up with 'Islaholic' on it. So my search was on to find somebody to make these. I was having no luck until Tiffany from Barlito's told me she saw them on Medina. Yeah! I found someone. I took pics of a couple different colour schemes and posted on the Islaholic FB page so a choice could be made.

Saturday Nov 9....Sun!!! Did my beach walk, more beach glass. Oh wait, early afternoon a huge dark cloud showed up and hung around for a while. I met up with Hector, the fellow who will be making these Islaholic bracelet/anklets and gave him his first order for two. I crossed over to Bally Hoo while Hector made the anklets. Lucky again...the Dmartin table was free! Ordered my marg and this time fish and chips. Hector showed up with the finished anklet/bracelet. Life is good. Hector will be getting a lot of much needed business from the sale of these. To say he was happy about future business is an understatement! I think he's in a little disbelief but I assured him the 'Islaholics' will come. So I have given my plug here for Hector. You can find him directly across from Bally Hoo/Pemex. He has his board right on the sidewalk. If you go, tell him Valeria sent you!

Ok, back to Bally Hoo. personally, I like the fish and chips better than the fish tacos! Please don't boo and hiss at me LOL! I had to leave the DMartin table when I finished eating as they were setting up for a big reservation. But that was ok, I moved to the other side. Two tables of people next to me. I got up to start a conversation with one table and do my 'Islaholic' sales pitch lol. Well, I met the nicest people...from Iowa? can't remember but they are on TA too. Then this other fellow comes to my table and asks if I'm Seashell. It was Knothead and his wife from Detroit! As he mentioned in his trip report we had our own little TA gathering!

Sunday Nov 10....Not very nice first thing in the morning I went out later for my beach walk, slim pickings for beach glass today, only 1/2 bag full. walked to centro and chatted with Hector a bit. He came up with another idea for the 'Islaholic' thing.....eyeglass/sunglass holder. You know the kind you loop through the arms of your glasses. Now when you take them off they will be on your chest, You will never leave your glasses sitting on a bar or restaurant table again! Way to go Hector! By the way these 'special' Islaholic items are done in what I call 'Isla blue's' with yellowy green lettering. From what I heard later Hector had his first official sale shortly after I left him. One of the readers from the Islaholic FB page. Yahoo! Happy for Hector!

I picked up the bean soup from La Lomita for my dinner. Huge portion for 60p.

Monday Nov 11....Remembrance day.

Beautiful, sunny, breezy day. Yeah! Went for my beach walk again. this time I brought a bigger baggie as RickS told me about a really good sea glass spot closer to the Avalon. So off I go, a little excited that I will really hit pay dirt this time. I climbed over rock, waded through pools, lost a flip-flop, dripping with sweat the whole time. NOT! No sea glass! nada! LOL...Either I couldn't find the spot that he described or it doesn't exist! Haha!! But it was a nice walk anyway. Again, slim pickings compared to other days. Wow...it's now 3:45 p.m. and still sunny!

I spent a little time this aft clearing a few spots so my friend 'SandyM' will have a place to put her stuff, Sandy is visiting me for a week. She was only supposed to come in January, for 6 weeks. But once she started seeing the pictures I posted on FB she couldn't wait until then lol. Besides it's her birthday this week and what better place to celebrate than Isla. So I am very excited as I have not discovered the island from Chedraui south. Said I would wait for her to get here, more fun when you are with someone to do stuff like that. We have quite the week planned, may have to make a few adjustments if mother nature doesn't cooperate. She arrives tomorrow. I plan on taking the ferry over to Cancun and meet her there for the ride back to Isla together. Our first plan is to drag luggage to Bally Hoo, order stuff from Hector (eyeglass holder for me), get to Dmartins table, order marg's, she wants to dip in the water if it's still daylight, order tacos, guacamole, marg's...lol. After that who knows??!! So I will try and keep a diary while she is here....there should be some good stories, hopefully I can repeat them all to you LOL...keeping our fingers and toes crossed for decent weather!

Kemptville, Canada
Level Contributor
526 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: After the First 26 days...update #3

Wow the report was great! I don't think that you are slipping yet, but give it time. I will be there 3 weeks from tomorrow so the reports are the only thing keeping me sane. I will definitely be visiting Hector with my Daughter. Sounds like some good birthday gifts.

Let us know how you enjoy the rest of the island. Look forward to it.

Thanks

12. Re: After the First 26 days...update #3

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, November 14, 2014