We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I could use some help.....

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Isla Mujeres hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Saint Joseph...
Level Contributor
159 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
I could use some help.....

As some of you know tomorrow is our anniversary and we are going to watch all of the wonderful Isla videos y'all helped me to find. Thank you very much.

Isla is the #1 location that we want to go to for our anniversary. We are scraping together every penny we can to get there. Sometimes life interferes with plans and cars break down etc. , etc. So as a last choice to y'all have any suggestions of those all inclusive resorts where you are stuck on them? :( Really is a last choice and only if I cant come up with the money for Isla. I know alot of y'all traveled elsewhere before you found Isla so any recommendations on those? Of course it would have to be a budget one because if I have the money to spend on the high end ones I will be going to PA renting a golf cart and exploring Isla. Working really hard on that ;).

I like to plan so I need to figure out plan B even though my heart is set on plan PA. LOL Thanks in advance.

Olathe, Kansas
Level Contributor
1,754 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: I could use some help.....

TNY - totally agree that is why I am doing 2 weeks AI at PA this year. I figure after 50 years I truly deserve to be spoiled. I was trying to give Staci some alternatives to not coming to Isla at all.

Staci - at certain times during the year Frontier does fly non-stop to Cancun. Friends of ours used Frontier in June. Don't know why they don't do it during the winter season. Sure would be nice to be able to go non stop to Mexico. We shall see.

Saint Joseph...
Level Contributor
159 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: I could use some help.....

kclady you truly do deserve that kinda celebration for 50 yrs :) My grandma once told me when we were first married and trying to adjust to that not to worry honey it gets easier. I told her I was so glad to hear that and asked her how long it took. She replied that after 50 yrs it's a piece of cake. I was floored but you have that to look forward to. lol

No non stop in winter? Bummer :(

Level Contributor
58 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: I could use some help.....

Staci - my husband and I have been to Isla three times since 2005. We have stayed at a bed and breakfast mid island, an apartment on the north end and this year we stayed at Posada del Mar. PDM was our favorite. They have a pool, nice palapa bar, beach right across the street and within walking distance of everything you need. We paid $50 a night. We ran a tab at the bar and ended up paying $160.00 for our drinks. We would walk to the public market for breakfast - spent about $12 per day. Some days we didn't eat lunch because of a late breakfast - when we did eat lunch we went to the public market or one of the places along the beach - rarely spent over $15 for lunch. We would eat dinner on Hidalgo or on the beach - typically spent $20 - $30 each night.....so we spent about $123 a day for room, food and drinks the 10 days we were there. Now we also went to the liquor store and mini supers and bought vodka and beers sometimes. We also rented a golf cart for 24 hours to do the island tour.

I really feel you don't get a true feel for Isla Mujeres, the people or the authentic food when you stay at AIs. We have done AIs in Playa del Carmen and Cozumel and always regret it....we always feel like something was missing in those trips. And there is something missing....getting to know a culture, the people and their food.

Just my two cents.....

Edited: 1:58 pm, October 05, 2013
24. Re: I could use some help.....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 10:54 am, November 17, 2013
york pa
Level Contributor
615 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: I could use some help.....

Grand palladium colonial riviera maya is my favorite Ai and I have been to at least 18 different ones

Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
2,223 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: I could use some help.....

We have stayed in Playa Riviera just North of Playa del Carmen at the Grand Sunset Princess all Suites Resort three times. Each room is a suite, there are lots of great restaurants. We love it! They have had some super deals lately. $52 dollars per adult!! Check it out!

MN
Level Contributor
610 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: I could use some help.....

I also recommend Catalonia Royal Tulum. Very nice for the money and a fun beach bar you can walk to off the property. It's been several years since I've stayed AI so this one may not exist anymore, but there was a sister Catalonia property called Catalonia Riviera Maya. It, too, was very affordably priced, I think even cheaper than the Royal Tulum, which I believe is adults only.

If you want to be on the beach I would also recommend Gran Bahia Principe Tulum.

I always looked for good value when we did AI and those three properties come to mind as having good food, service, nice rooms, etc.

The last few years we have gone the condo route and we really enjoy that. But if it was my very first trip to Mexico and for my wedding anniversary, I think I would almost prefer the AI option. That way you will have a nice pool (or pools) and a nice beach. You can choose to do nothing off the property or go out and explore. You might feel more papmered by going the AI route. Good luck and enjoy!

Saint Joseph...
Level Contributor
159 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: I could use some help.....

Thanks for all the suggestions for the mid level AI for plan b. I'll check them out.

29. Re: I could use some help.....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, October 08, 2014