We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Top ten signs you go to Isla a lot...

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Isla Mujeres hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Canada
Level Contributor
1,174 posts
83 reviews
Save Topic
Top ten signs you go to Isla a lot...

Recently returned from my 8th visit to the island in less than 2 years (yes, I need an intervention). I must confess I always use to look down on people who went back to the same place over and over, thinking the world is so big, why don't they explore! Now I eat crow! I am one of those people. What can I say, I found my happy place....

I won't bore you with a trip report. Who wants to hear about my watching the sunrise, walking around town and basically doing nothing. I did have many little moments during my last trip that reminded me that I go to Isla a lot so I thought I would compile them in a not-taking-itself-seriously Top Ten. Here goes...

10. Two sentences you hear more and more: 'You're here again!' and 'Vives aqui?'

9. You are giving your new-to-the-island taxista directions.

8. Islenos ask if YOU remember them, not the other way around.

7. You have once appeared on Wentcoastal's blog.

6. You know where Maria and her pepitas live.

5. Your Facebook friends no longer comment on how often you are there. Frankly, at this point, they just assume you never left.

4. You sometimes score the 'local discount' in restaurants without ever asking.

3. The minute you arrive to Puerto Juarez, you run into someone you know.

2. You know more island 'chisme' that you'll ever care to know.

1. Ferry rides back to Puerto Juarez are not a sad affair, because most of the time, next trip is already planned!

What are your signs telling you that you are an Islaholic?

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
37,953 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
41. Re: Top ten signs you go to Isla a lot...

You know what is funny . . . I have been thinking about this . . . like some things we do on Isla that we would NEVER do anywhere else. For example, how many of you would buy pastries out of the back of someone's car anywhere else you travel to or even where you live? But of course, it is perfectly acceptable on Isla. :)

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
19,574 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
42. Re: Top ten signs you go to Isla a lot...

We have a large Hispanic population near us so I buy a lot of food out of backs of trucks, van, cars, you name it :)

Courtenay, Canada
Level Contributor
410 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
43. Re: Top ten signs you go to Isla a lot...

You can multitask in new ways. ..... holding on to a pizza in the golf cart at night where you fly over an unseen tope avoiding being thrown out and then have to bang the headlight back on

ontario
Level Contributor
285 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
44. Re: Top ten signs you go to Isla a lot...

checking the webcam then messaging local friends to tell them how windy it is at the beach

knowing that some nights it will take an hour to stroll down hidalgo because you see so many people you know, or don't know yet

checking the intersections in exposed areas during the day for sand, so you don't slide through at night

remembering to find a good "brake" rock before you need one

Edited: 9:22 pm, October 09, 2013
Illinois
Level Contributor
1 post
10 reviews
Save Reply
45. Re: Top ten signs you go to Isla a lot...

When you can't take 2 margaritas with you in your car (golf cart) to the other side of town......

...and I too cry on the ferry ride back even though I know I will be back soon. I HATE leaving Isla, my home away from home.....my little island.....

Kenai
Level Contributor
674 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
46. Re: Top ten signs you go to Isla a lot...

What a great thread...one and all!

47. Re: Top ten signs you go to Isla a lot...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, November 04, 2014