We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Newbies Oct.14-18 Ideas on Snorkeling or Kayaking?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Kansas
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Newbies Oct.14-18 Ideas on Snorkeling or Kayaking?

We're first timers going to Isla October 14-18 for our 30th anniversary! We've never been out of the states so we are definitely excited, especially after reading all the great things on this forum. We also have never snorkeled or kayaked but we're game for anything! Any ideas would be extremely appreciated!! We are staying at PA all inclusive so we won't have to worry about looking for restaurants but any ideas on great places to stop for a drink along the way while sightseeing? My aunt told us to watch what we drink because we could get sick (ice cubes and water) has this happened to anyone? So excited to get to Isla!!!

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
10,423 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Newbies Oct.14-18 Ideas on Snorkeling or Kayaking?

"We are staying at PA all inclusive so we won't have to worry about looking for restaurants..." First off, if you don't eat a few meals out you will miss one of the greatest things about Isla--all the great restaurants on such a small island. Many people take the AI option just for drinks and snacks but often eat every dinner off the resort. This is why there are only 2 all-inclusives on the entire island.

"My aunt told us to watch what we drink because we could get sick (ice cubes and water)." Your aunt has evidently not been to Isla. All the water used by the restaurants has been purified, so no worries AT ALL there. Just don't drink tap water.

Since you are new to snorkeling, you might want to start out some place like the lagoon over by the Avalon Reef hotel, which will be a few blocks away from your hotel. You will need your own mask, fins and snorkel, or you could rent from one of the many scuba shops. Seahawk Divers, for example, would be on your way from PA to the lagoon. From there, step up to snorkeling near Garrafon de Castilla, a beach club down on the southern end of the island, where you will see lots of fish anxious to be fed. After that, you are ready for a boat snorkeling tour, which will run you $25 to $35 dollars depending on where you go and who you go with.

There are kayaking options available, but I'll let somebody else comment on that since kayaking always looked like too much work for me.

Ontario
Level Contributor
7,499 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Newbies Oct.14-18 Ideas on Snorkeling or Kayaking?

Kayaks...I've had great intentions to rent one but have ended up being too lazy to do so lol.

Tarzan (Playa Norte) had kayaks for rent.

Casa de los Suenos (South end) apparently has them as well...not sure if they've imposed a minumum consumption amount or not.

Kansas
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Newbies Oct.14-18 Ideas on Snorkeling or Kayaking?

Thanks for the ideas! We are going on this trip completely open minded and ready for some fun. If there are some great restaurants we should try please let us know! More than willing to try everything at least once! LOL!

new york
Level Contributor
20,800 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Newbies Oct.14-18 Ideas on Snorkeling or Kayaking?

Check out the Top Questions on the upper right hand side. There's one for "must try restaurants" and lots of other things too. Definitely have a couple of dinners out. Olivia, Brisas Grill, Bistro Francais, are all very good and are some of my favorites. But we also loved Café del Mar at PA and you certainly can't beat the setting on the beach with Cancun across the water. One of the best places to be :)

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
10,423 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Newbies Oct.14-18 Ideas on Snorkeling or Kayaking?

For more ideas and for general planning, I highly recommend you pick up a map from mapchick. It's really a travel guide in map format, with all kinds of info on restaurants, a suggested golf cart tour route, a walking tour of Centro and more. Even we experienced Islaholics would never leave home without one.

http://www.cancunmap.com/

Olathe, Kansas
Level Contributor
1,772 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Newbies Oct.14-18 Ideas on Snorkeling or Kayaking?

Agree about the mapchick map. Just finished taping mine back together.

Clem - we are staying at PA in January for two weeks and chose the AI option, but we do plan on eating off the resort. There are so many great places to eat that I am still making my list of all the places I want to eat that I didn't eat at last year.

Love the idea that PA is in Centro so you can walk all over and see the downtown area. Rent a golf cart at least once and drive around the island. I would probably say you will be back. Enjoy your vacation.

Stillwater...
Level Contributor
880 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Newbies Oct.14-18 Ideas on Snorkeling or Kayaking?

KansasClem: We stay in an apartment across the street from PA each year for three weeks. We never get to all of the restaurants we plan to visit. You may want to do some research on this forum and rethink paying for AI on this trip. I don't think you will regret it. There are so many options - inexpensive and reasonable, along with a few that are a little more $$. Just my $.02.

Edited: 2:24 pm, September 20, 2013
new york
Level Contributor
20,800 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Newbies Oct.14-18 Ideas on Snorkeling or Kayaking?

Whether to do AI or not depends on the price. We got it for 13 dollars extra a person so it's pretty much a no-brainer to take it. A couple of drinks or lunch, and there's the 13 dollars right there. Plus I don't feel like leaving the beach and changing into dry clothes to go looking for lunch, so it's a nice option to have and still go out to dinner. So it all depends on how much extra AI is.

Kansas
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Newbies Oct.14-18 Ideas on Snorkeling or Kayaking?

Thanks Everyone! We decided to do Al because we really are "babies" traveling out of the country and we didn't want to have to worry much about anything concerning food or drink. We don't even know how to exchange money?! But at least we'll be fed at the hotel! When I tried to explain to my husband the conversion of dollars to pesos his only comment was "Honey, I really do not want to think at all during this trip. LOL. This is his first vacation in over 9 years! Seriously though, we hope this will be the beginning of many trips out of the country now that we've raised our kids and they're all on their own. We're planning on renting a golf cart the first day to check out island. Got our Mapchick yesterday and plan on thoroughly checking it out tonight! We also plan on doing a sunset tour with Induna Charters but I think we'll wait until we get there to make those reservations since we don't know what the weather will be like. I'll take everyone's suggestion and will check out some restaurants-I think I saw some on the map. Our family said if we enjoy ourselves a lot then they're hoping to make it a family trip in the near future. With everyone's comments I have a feeling we'll become islaholics too!

new york
Level Contributor
20,800 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Newbies Oct.14-18 Ideas on Snorkeling or Kayaking?

LOL, I misread your post and thought you're looking for restaurants, and missed the bar question. Lots of places to stop along the way on your golf cart tour: Soggy Peso and Bahia Tortuga just outside centro on your way south, The Joint close to Punta Sur, Acantillado right at Punta Sur with stunning views, and Villa la Bella on the Caribbean side on your way back.