We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Massive turtle release today...according to online newspaper

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Isla Mujeres, Mexico
Level Contributor
686 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Massive turtle release today...according to online newspaper

In today's online newspapers in Spanish....Diario Q Roo & Por Esto announce a massive turtle release planned "in upcoming days" and Quequi says it is today. 60,000 hatchlings to be released, and since they are including senior citizens (It is mentioned that tourists & families are also invited), I am GUESSING that it will be at Media Luna (rather than Guadalupana) b/c it is easier to access..at dusk of course.

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
20,267 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Massive turtle release today...according to online newspaper

Wow sounds great. Wish I could see it. Hope someone takes lots of pictures. Thank you posting that.

New Carlisle, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,169 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Massive turtle release today...according to online newspaper

I hope this massive turtle doesn't destroy the island!

; )

Isla Mujeres, Mexico
Level Contributor
686 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Massive turtle release today...according to online newspaper

Hahaha! They say 50,000 hatchlings to release. here's the other stats...a record breaking year:

Since the beginning of the season, they have collected 1355 Green turtle nests containing ~157,733 eggs; 64 Loggerhead nests containing ~6738 eggs; and 6 Hawksbill nests with 840 eggs, for a total 1425 nests. That's 165,351 eggs incubated.

Edited: 1:06 pm, September 14, 2013
Lafayette, Indiana
Level Contributor
547 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Massive turtle release today...according to online newspaper

Ha, ha, ha, fotodude! Me too! I would love to see a turtle release some day. Sounds fun!

New Carlisle, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,169 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Massive turtle release today...according to online newspaper

I can picture Gamera stomping down the Avalon Reef Club...

But seriously, (and ironically), we've never been on Isla during a baby turtle release. We crossed whale shark swim off our Isla bucket list in June, LOVE visiting the turtle farm. Gotta see us some baby turtles waddling out to sea some day!

ENJOY!

boonies
Level Contributor
73 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Massive turtle release today...according to online newspaper

We tried to find the location last night. Nothing was happening at Media Luna or PocNa around 6 so we ended up at Miguel's.a nice night was had, but it would have been awesome to see a release. We're hoping to stay awake long enough for some of the festivities tonight.beach chair surfing is hard work :)

Isla Mujeres, Mexico
Level Contributor
686 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Massive turtle release today...according to online newspaper

You left too early...there was a release at Media Luna..from dusk to dark. Glad you had a good time..the info was legit.

Isla Mujeres, Mexico
Level Contributor
686 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Massive turtle release today...according to online newspaper

Tonight the activities will start in an hour or so ..and go on until 4 am mas o menos..on the Town Square. Look for the fireworks after eleven or around midnight..mas o menos. Folk dancing in a while..then after the fireworks is The band.... The last big Hurrah of the outgoing administration. (govt changes on Sept 30)

Langley City, Canada
Level Contributor
934 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Massive turtle release today...according to online newspaper

Hi, have any pictures or video surfaced this massive turtle release? We would love to see them.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
482 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Massive turtle release today...according to online newspaper

I hope they have released them by now. We were there Monday and there were way too many baby turtles in the tank. Why do they wait so long? It made me sad.