We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

isla mejures may 2013 trip report

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Pasadena, Canada
Level Contributor
36 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
isla mejures may 2013 trip report

getting time now to write this trip report.

all connections etc on time arrival in cancun...usa tranfers picked us up and we were off to paradise.

we booked thru vrbo ( clyde schmidt) for a one bedroom suite in ixchel ...we had room 401....Melchor from Mundaca realty at dockside to greet us and offered us a ride ...we opted to walk from ferry as we needed a feel for the place and get total immersion in to isla.

the room was spotless and melchor showed us the ropes etc.

next stop off to sunset grill for 2/1 margs and nachos. dinner that nite was at Faynes ... great margs and fajitas.

DAY 2. Thanks to melchor for providing breakfast items for cooking up in the mornings.

hung out at incredible beach and just lounged around.dinner that nite at Lola Valentino. very nice...Lola greeted us at the door!!!!

great meal of coconut rum shrimp and sea bass...out of this world meal

off to Ariba roof top bar for live entertainment ...busy spot

DAY 3. ...early swim at the beach then brunch at Barlitos ....breakfast paninis /huge portions . took an afternoon walk to the kings bath for snorkeling ....disappointing as we were told to leave by avalon staff!!!

headed back to playa norte for more quality beach time

bbq on the balcony that nite and enjoyed another killer sunset

DAY 4. early morning swim...no one else out at 9:00am !!! fantastic.

Melchor had arrange drift snorkel with local crowd so we took him up on that ...lunch provided at local beach bar ...grilled fish ....all pretty good ....drift snorkel was excellent and we highly recommend.

back to marina and stopped in to Bally hoos for shrimp tacos and icy beer.

back to hotel for chill time in hotel pool.

dinner that night at Rojitos ....dined on rogotini and lasagna.

all excellent...back to roof top bar for more entertainment

DAY 5....had breakfast at local market 5 min walk from hotel . Alexia y Geovanny ...excellent divorced eggs and fresh squeezed orange juice.french toast had lots of cinnamon flavour ...cheap at 12 bucks for two of us.

headed to local market near municipal building to pick up bbq stuff...fresh chicken on the bbq tonite.

DAY 6. Golf cart day....arranged thru Melchor ....new carts ...new company 50.00 bucks for the day...just behind hotel.

full tour of island ...first stop punta sur WOW!!!!!!!!!!!

stopped at shell house for pics drove to Garrafon de castillo rented chairs and shade for 50 pesos each for the day....snorkeled some ...best snorkeling right at shore...very windy so lots of choppy water.

then off to Playa Lancheros for great quesadillas and excellent grilled fish ( tinkin??? gotta check spelling LOL)

lots of booze cruise catermerans coming in from cancun and xxxx party goin on...

drove over to floating house ...interesting to see.

then thru small town to arrive at crayon house for pics....off to chedruie dpt store for stocking up on essentials and finally a much needed stop at Bahia tortuga for beers!!!! excellent spot!!!

back to hotel to get rid of cart and mix up a blender of margs for the pool.

supper that nite at Angelos for steak and ribs...very good...fire broke out in kitchen ...no fire dept. on site!!!..others from nearby restaurants showed up with fire extinguishers and helped to put out grease fire in vent hood...fire had even caught on next door restaurant!!!

headed to and found tiny's bar ( Anthony big guy but so friendly )

great atmosphere !!!

DAY 7....last day on isla...arrived at beach for usual 9:00am...so glad no towel wars here!!!

stayed two hrs then headed to manamas for brunch...great food ....great cappuccinos !!!...only 5 min walk from hotel!!!

walked over to bank on main drag...bumped in to USA SUE whom we met on snorkel trip...hitched a ride back in fancy chev golf cart...

spent the afternoon on beach with beers and nachos .

to top all of this off we went to Olivias for our final nite ...great greek restaurant ...shepherds salad for two ( huge) dined on meatballs with Parmesan bread and chicken with olives over risuto .....

WOW!!!

DAY 8 ....last isla day...ate what was left of groceries ( toast/cheese/coffee) ...packed bags and headed to beach for final swim....only one other person in water at 8:30 am!!!

showered and got ready to leave....

was gonna call a taxi but hotel wouldn't call us one ...said " we gotta deal with melchor"...walked outside and hooked in to luggage guy delivering others on his luggage bike ....last stroll thru streets to the ferry....bought tics for ferry and grabbed brunch at Moneras ( right at ferry dock!!)

ferry on time and we were on our way to grand palladium for week two..

what can i say about isla ...

many thanks to all at TA for your tips and advice before we went you guys rock!!!

ixchel was amazing and we will be back...many thanks clyde...you didn't disappoint when you said " you won't want to leave"...LOL....see you in may 2014 for two weeks this time ....

we will be bringing others i hope next time with us as we want to share our experiences in this fantastic discovery of mexico.

i think of Isla every day

feel free to contact me if any of you have any ???? whatsoever

ill report on palladium at another time

see you Isla in may

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
19,866 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: isla mejures may 2013 trip report

Wow, great trip report, thank you for all the details :) Sounds like a wonderful vacation and I'm so glad you shared it with us here.

Ontario
Level Contributor
7,206 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: isla mejures may 2013 trip report

Yes, thanks stewartNewfoundland2! I was visualizing all the places pretending I was driving around in a golf cart lol. That was fun! :-)

california
Level Contributor
192 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: isla mejures may 2013 trip report

Lol we were there at the same time. Watched all the bar tenders run with extinguishers, really smokey. After done we all returned to our drinks and they were open the next evening. We are headed back in October to plan our 2014 trip possibly a month since 2 weeks not enough!!

Corner Brook, Canada
Level Contributor
444 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: isla mejures may 2013 trip report

Great report. We are also headed back next spring but will be there from April 27th until May 04. Most likely will miss you guys again.

Lori

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
666 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: isla mejures may 2013 trip report

Thanks for taking the time to write the report. Love all the details of where you ate and what you ate. I agree, Lola Valentinas - best meal we had on the island the last time we were there. Definitely put me in the mood for our trip which by the way is just 21 days away.

Rock & Roll Isla Mujeres

Edited: 10:05 pm, September 04, 2013
Cuyahoga Falls, OH
Level Contributor
68 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: isla mejures may 2013 trip report

Sounds wonderful! I'm hoping to book the same suite for our 25th anniversary next October. Already so obsessed with Isla and haven't even been yet!

Keller, Texas
Level Contributor
467 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: isla mejures may 2013 trip report

I'll be curious how the rest of your vacation was. Last time we split Isla and the Royal PDC it was unfairly harsh on the Royal. We kept thinking about Isla the entire time. Glad you had fun...guess ill go finish packing and head to the airport myself. Isla here I come!

Olathe, Kansas
Level Contributor
1,761 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: isla mejures may 2013 trip report

Since I am obsessed with coming back to Isla, trip reports are so unfair, as I really want to be there NOW!! We will be spending two weeks this year as I found out 1 week is not enough. Thanks for the trip report.

9. Re: isla mejures may 2013 trip report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, September 07, 2014