We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunsets - Don't Miss Out! (with pictures)

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Kansas City...
Level Contributor
373 posts
92 reviews
Save Topic
Sunsets - Don't Miss Out! (with pictures)

Hello Forum!

Sadly, I've been back from Isla for several weeks now and life has started back up it's hectic pace. When I first got back from Isla, I posted a few non-conventional trip reports about different things (Chedraui, Street Soccer & the Tuggui Popsicle Man) and I have a few more experiences I still want to share but life starts rearing it's demanding head, and I got side-tracked.

One post I wanted to be sure to share, is how we would spend probably one of my favorite time of day - And our routine that went along with it. Watching the Sun setting on Playa Norte.

Each and every sunset is totally different. I've watched hundreds in my life and even in boring Kansas, sunsets can be breathtaking. I've never seen one the same. The way the sky starts changing colors and gives a glow to not just the sky, but to the buildings, and to the trees, and all that's around.

If I'm lucky enough to be able to catch a glimpse of the sunset's warm glow, it stops me dead in my tracks. Each time I walk away, it's like it was the FIRST time I've ever seen one. Love them, no matter if I'm in a big city, the beach, or in boring Kansas. So you get the idea right?

Everywhere we travel, I have sunset pictures. One of my very favorite one, was taken in Naples, Florida, where hubby and I were trying to take a self portrait of the sun setting behind us, and since we were traveling alone this was not an easy task. Some nice lady from afar must have seen us and she took a picture of "us-taking-a-picture-of-our-self". She approached us afterwards and emailed me the picture. I just love it.

…photobucket.com/albums/…Florida.jpg

Anyway, before our trip to Isla this past June, I could not wait to get my Playa Norte Sunset Fix!

In February of last year when we were staying at Ixchel, the sun was setting over to the "Left", towards the Cancun Skyline (almost directly in front of ChiChi's & Charlies).

Here is a photo of last February of me & hubby, where the sun was setting off to the "left" of Ixchel.

…photobucket.com/albums/…2012-02-14174201.jpg

But this trip in June, the sun was setting DIRECTLY in front of Ixchel. Halleluiah!

In June, the sun would set around 7:19 each evening. So our Isla routine of the day would be:

1. Around 4pm, after our daily activities head back up to our Ixchel condo.

2. Take a chill-break from the hot sun and lounge around & enjoy the air-conditioning.

3. Around 5:45pm, we'd pack up our cocktails, and some snacks (I bought some bread, cheese and wine from Chedraui) and head down to the beach around 6:00 for some Pre-Sunset viewing!

This is one of my favorite pictures one evening as we headed down the Ixchel sidewalk towards the beach to set up for our nightly routine. It's like the heavens have opened up!

…photobucket.com/albums/…DSC_0247.jpg

Here we are, setting up camp, waiting to watch the colors unfold in front of us. If you look at the Ixchel windows behind us, you can tell it's getting to be "that time". The glow is starting!

…photobucket.com/albums/…DSC_0589.jpg

Every night before the sunset, the beach would give off a different glow Sometimes it would be rather bright.

…photobucket.com/albums/…IMG_0542-1.jpg

And sometimes it would be golden.

…photobucket.com/albums/…IMG_0554.jpg

There is something about a "sunset" that calms even the most active person. This is probably my favorite photo of our June trip taken of our son (who normally is running/swimming like a maniac). Something about those Playa Norte Sunsets, I tell ya! Calms the soul.

…photobucket.com/albums/…IMG_0537.jpg

Everywhere you walk.....up and down Playa Norte, you get a picture-postcard photo of the sun setting.

…photobucket.com/albums/…DSC_0318-1.jpg

More than likely, there always seems to be a boat in the background, that makes the most perfect shot.

…photobucket.com/albums/…DSC_0296.jpg

…photobucket.com/albums/…DSC_0296.jpg

Watching the sun getting lower and lower, until it's just a little small speck in the horizon is so amazing. Don't look away, because it will go down so fast!

…photobucket.com/albums/…DSC_0346.jpg

Even if it's cloudy, NEVER FEAR, because there might be a few seconds of glory, where the sun pokes through, and you'll get a most magnificent shot! It's like a surprise at Christmas that you were not expecting!

…photobucket.com/albums/…IMG_1544.jpg

…photobucket.com/albums/…IMG_1547.jpg

Even after the sun has set, stick around! Because the sky is just spectacular for about 30 minutes afterwards.

…photobucket.com/albums/…IMG_0583.jpg

Just when you think it's over, it really isn't.

…photobucket.com/albums/…DSC_0369.jpg

And this is when it can get goofy!

My men, the Mexican Jumping Beans, just as the sun left our sight.

…photobucket.com/albums/…DSC_0637.jpg

As a surprise to the family, this past June trip, I brought one of those Chinese Paper Lanterns that you light, and they go floating up in the air. The Sunset Grill sometimes does this for weddings. I put one in my suitcase (it fit perfectly, and I had no problem bringing it on the airplane) and pulled it out after the sun had set. Hubby lit it, and we watched it float off across the ocean. It was a tear jerker for me.

…photobucket.com/albums/…IMG_1334.jpg

Off it flew over the ocean. Hubby and I were the only two who actually stayed and watched it the whole way, until it disappeared from sight. What a cheezy fool I am.

…photobucket.com/albums/…IMG_1614.jpg

Anyway, that's my Sunset Post.

Next time you're in Isla, make a night of it.

Pack a little bag of snacks and some cocktails..... and whatever you do, get your camera ready to take some fabulous shots..... before...... during..... and after!

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
94 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sunsets - Don't Miss Out! (with pictures)

What a great post, thank you!

Ontario
Level Contributor
7,246 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sunsets - Don't Miss Out! (with pictures)

Beautiful! I like your "Isla routine" as well. :-D

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
10,336 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sunsets - Don't Miss Out! (with pictures)

Great photos--thanks for sharing! You can also see a very nice "reverse sunset" on the Caribbean side of the island if there are a few bright white clouds in the sky. Even though you are facing away from the sun, as it sets it turns the clouds the most spectacular shades of orange. And the water changes colors as the sun sets, as well. Villa la Bella and Da Luisa are great spots for these "reverse sunsets."

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
373 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sunsets - Don't Miss Out! (with pictures)

DMartin - Thanks for that INFO...I need to be sure to check it out from that angle. I hate to be missing out on a new sunset experience on my next Isla visit. I never thought of it from that angle, and I'm sure it's amazing! I can't wait until my next visit to Isla!

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
20,108 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sunsets - Don't Miss Out! (with pictures)

That was beautiful, thank you :) Loved the lantern. What a lovely thing to do.

Morton, IL
Level Contributor
935 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Sunsets - Don't Miss Out! (with pictures)

Sally, what an amazing post!!! I just loved your narration along with the beautiful sunset pictures. And I couldn't believe when I reached the part about the paper lantern! Just last weekend we did that at a wedding reception, it was so beautiful I cried! Had never seen them lit up before (although they are a stinker to light!) So now guess what I'll have to pack for the next trip??? Lol...

Sally you really inspired me to walk down the beach a bit toward Buho's to get some different shots. All of my sunset pics are starting to look the same, so it was nice to see something different.

We were at Ixchel too last February but maybe we weren't there the same time. Looks like you had a great time!! We're going back next Feb for 10 days, can't wait!!

Edited: 2:28 pm, July 17, 2013
Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
10,336 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sunsets - Don't Miss Out! (with pictures)

Just in case you are wondering about bringing those lanterns home, "Recently, the state fire marshal declared the sky lanterns illegal in Illinois due to the danger they can cause. They are also illegal in California, Hawaii, Minnesota, Tennessee and Virginia. They’re still legal in Iowa." (This was from WQAD in the Quad Cities.)

I think they are also illegal in Arizona, where a friend of mine is a dispatcher for firemen fighting brush fires. Seems I remember her posting on FB about it. And another article mentioned a ban in Maryland.

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
373 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sunsets - Don't Miss Out! (with pictures)

dmartin - I actually bought this lantern in Kansas at our local grocery store. I'm not advocating the lanterns as I am so saddened by the recent fires in Colorado and Arizona. I just wanted to share our experience. I realize many states are banning these lanterns and I actually bought this lantern "prior" to the deadly fires in the states. I would imagine you can't buy them here anymore.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
10,336 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sunsets - Don't Miss Out! (with pictures)

I first saw these in Colombia on New Year's Eve, 1977. We were in a remote mountain town, and because of all the mountains around us, they would suddenly appear when they had risen above the neighboring mountains. Most people in the US call these "Chinese Lanterns" but to me they're something I associate with Latin America.

Appleton, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
665 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sunsets - Don't Miss Out! (with pictures)

I love the post but also do not advocate the lantern thing. Even though it is not illegeal in WI - it never fails that people do not use common sense - now in a place like isla surrounded by water - hmmm, thinking it is much safer - but just hope people think about it when they decide if it is right for them and their surroundings or not. Anyway, DMartin - do you have any photos of the reverse sunset? I would love to see that - and had no idea - something else on my list..... Where else would be a good place to see those reverse sunsets as I will have my 4 year old along and he, of course, is not allowed at Villa la Bella - Would it be a good view from Punta Sur or do you need to be more mid island (say in March)?