We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

That dengue thing??

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Isla Mujeres hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
258 posts
1 review
Save Topic
That dengue thing??

Hi everybody. I'd be interested to hear from people on Isla now or who were there recently concerning that dengue prob that seems to be the case on Isla in the past weeks. We read a lot on the prob coming from mosquitoes. Anyone can comment on the actual situation?? We will visit next august and my wife is pretty much in trouble health wise with the contact of too many critters as such. She can have real real bad reaction to mosquito bites. I read the Isla Journal evry day or so and the situation seems to persists still. Anyone...?

And btw I tried to check that "dengue" term in a spanish dic but not much to tell me what dengue exactly means.. could it be something compared to the nile virus?? hm...

Dallas
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
1,674 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: That dengue thing??

You can google dengue fever for the symptoms. My husband got it several years ago (on Isla) and was sick with moderate symptoms for weeks but no long term effects. The best preventative measure is to use bug spray with deet during the morning and evening hours. We always wear it to avoid the mosquito bites, especially if going someplace like Soggy Peso, Bahia Tortuga or any of the waterfront restaurants on Medina.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
42,409 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: That dengue thing??

¨And btw I tried to check that "dengue" term in a spanish dic but not much to tell me what dengue exactly means.¨

As far as I know, it is not a Spanish word. It is the name of a disease common in tropical areas. I can´t speak for Isla M. in particular but it can be a problem in all the area. I had it while living in Cozumel. I had the more serious hemorrhagic fever and I can tell you, you don´t want it.

Most places in the area have an ongoing program of spraying to combat the mosquitoes, as does IM.

I have not seen recent statistics but this May report from the newspaper Sinembargo says, the following (translated from Spanish):

¨in Othon P. White 83 cases have been reported, in Bacalar, 30, in Benito Juarez 261, Cozumel, 12; Isla Mujeres, nine and in Lazaro Cardenas, seven, in Solidarity, 20, in Tulum, seven, in Felipe Carrillo Puerto, four, and José María Morelos, five.

Note that the large number of cases are in Benito Juarez, where Cancun is located.

http://www.sinembargo.mx/07-05-2013/612878

Edited: 12:16 pm, July 07, 2013
Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
9,958 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: That dengue thing??

As you've already read, roignou, dengue is a mosquito-borne illness, so it's similar to West Nile in that aspect. We've had several cases of West Nile in the Chicago area (in fact, the mayor of one of our suburbs died of West Nile) but it certainly doesn't keep us trapped indoors. We simply take reasonable precautions like wearing mosquito repellant and being especially careful at dusk and dawn.

Luckily, we have not experienced bad mosquito problems on Isla.The constant sea breezes help. Michele is a regular mosquito and sand flea magnet (practically needed medical attention in Panama) but last year she got exactly one mosquito bite during a week on Isla. As md-in-texas says, there are certain areas of the island that are more mosquito rich, like those places with lots of vegetation for cover or that are near water.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
42,409 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: That dengue thing??

Good info from DM. I rarely have mosquitoes but it apparently only took one bite. My doctor jokingly said he was sure it was a Playa del Carmen mosquito and not a Cozumel mosquito.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
42,409 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: That dengue thing??

Just to add what just read in today´s Respuesta newspaper, translated from Spanish. While no details on where the cases occur, it does show many more cases this year in the state of Quintana Roo than 2012:

¨The latest data issued by the court Sesa indicate that at 26 weeks, Quintana Roo totaled 413 cases of classic dengue and 306 hemorrhagic, while in the same period of 2012 were 145 of the 194 classic and hemorrhagic. ¨

Of course, as DM mentioned due to prevailing winds, the islands of Isla Mujeres and Cozumel have fewer cases than the mainland.

diariorespuesta.com.mx/01012013/index.php…

Isla Mujeres, Mexico
Level Contributor
147 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: That dengue thing??

The majority of the cases of dengue (aka ”bone break fever") listed for Isla Mujeres have not been on the island but in the mainland part of Isla Mujeres. To my recollection there have only been one or two cases of it on the island itself in the past few years.

Which is not to say there are no mosquitoes here. But there are virtually none on the east (Caribbean, windward) side of the island because of the constant sea breezes. They can be fierce and multitudinous on the west (bay, leeward) side of the island.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
258 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: That dengue thing??

Thank you all mucho very much for those interesting replies. We have been to Isla on numerous occasions and never had a prob with mosquitoes ; but I thought this year was a more severe one as far as bugs go because of the recent heavy rains. But like DM and some of you mention, it is always safe to use repellent and be wise. Reading your comments reassured me.

Isla here we come.... soon...

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
258 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: That dengue thing??

And by the way, here is the link to get that local newspaper I mentioned above. I can hardly go to bed at night without reading the latest news from Isla Mujeres. Most of you must be familiar with the link but... for those who aren't... here it is. Take note that on some days it may take a while for it to be translate from spanish to english. But I find this link pertinent enough to savor Isla before heading there. Enjoy !!!

http://www.aboutislamujeres.blogspot.ca/

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
9,958 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: That dengue thing??

An excellent blog, maintained by frequent forum contributor Wentcoastal. She also has a food section, with links to restaurant web sites, menus and delivery information. Since she's on Isla it's easier for her to have more current information:

http://foodinislamujeres.blogspot.mx/

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,405 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: That dengue thing??

When my son and I were there in early June it was right after all the torrential rains and there was a lot of concern there would be a huge bloom in the mosquito population on Isla. I saw them actively spraying down near Captain Dulche's, The Joint and in the Colonias near the walkway along the Lagoon. The mosquitos had a strong presence near at The Joint, but they provide repellent right on the tables for people stopping by. My son and I spent many hours at The Joint and with a liberal application of repellent neither of us was bitten even once.