We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling to isla with tree nut and peanut allergy?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Connecticut
Level Contributor
46 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Traveling to isla with tree nut and peanut allergy?

We are traveling with our daughter next year who was newly diagnosed with tree nut and peanut allergy. Looking for suggestions. Did anyone else travel to Mexico with allergies? How were they at restaurants if you asked about ingredients? How well were things labelled from the grocery store? Any info would be really appreciated!

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Darien,Connecticut
Level Contributor
549 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling to isla with tree nut and peanut allergy?

There are many sites on the web that have downloadable cards in spanish that explain what foods can & can not be eaten. One is brokerfish.com, Of course,travel with her meds, extra epi pens, know the emergency number for Isla, bring a translator when you grocery shop. Unfortunately, many people have these kinds of allergies today,but travel thru out the world without incident. I'm sure with a few precautions you'll have a wonderful vacation.

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
364 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling to isla with tree nut and peanut allergy?

Info on Food Allergy Travel Cards....you can print them out and present them to management, restaurant manager, and insist they communicate with the chef

selectwisely.com

dietarycard.com

allergytranslation.com

new york
Level Contributor
20,745 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling to isla with tree nut and peanut allergy?

We had a thread on that recently so you may find some helpful info in there.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g150810-i360-k6148…

Farnborough, United...
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling to isla with tree nut and peanut allergy?

The Anaphylaxis Campaign know that travelling abroad with a severe allergy can daunting, but we've got loads of tips and advice that can help. We're a charity that help those affected by severe allergies of any kind. You can check our website www.anaphylaxis.org.uk , call our helpline on 01252 542029 or email our helpline team directly at info@anaphylaxis.org.uk to get some great tips and advice on how to manage an allergy abroad no matter where you're heading. Thanks!

Boston
Level Contributor
604 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveling to isla with tree nut and peanut allergy?

My son has a severe tree nut allergy and we've been to Isla and Puerto Morelos the past two years on vacation. We had a printed card describing his allergy in Spanish. I will say that sometimes it almost seemed like they just nodded their head and I wasn't convinced the point. He is such a picky eater and doesn't eat anything that would likely contain nuts and I always carry an epipen. We never had any issues. The ice cream shops on Hidalgo were great about it. After a few days the girl working there would say to him "no for you!" and point to what he couldn't have.

Mentioned in this post
Puerto Morelos
Puerto Morelos
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Connecticut
Level Contributor
46 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Traveling to isla with tree nut and peanut allergy?

Thank you so much for the great info! I always know I can count on my fellow travelers on tripadvisor. It is very reassuring to get info directly from people who have been to the island. Thank you again

7. Re: Traveling to isla with tree nut and peanut allergy?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, July 10, 2014