We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day 6 I think?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Isla Mujeres hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Boston...
Level Contributor
1,405 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Day 6 I think?

Day 6:

The morning arrived with my son and I sitting out on the balcony awaiting the arrival of the sun cresting the horizon. After another perfect display of color and light we began to talk about breakfast. Jr. had not stopped talking about Mango since breakfast two days earlier and was lobbying hard for a return visit. I told him I had a different place in mind. I wanted to try Lola Valentina’s. I’d had dinner there in the past and it was outstanding, but I’d never had the breakfast. I remember the French toast at Mango when Lori was in charge of the kitchen and I was hoping the breakfasts in her new place would be as good. We headed out and down Hidalgo to Lola’s. Lori was just putting her a-frame signs out when we arrived and greeted us warmly. I asked her about the French toast and she said she had tinkered with the recipe and thought it was better now then when she made it over at Mango. Jr. and I ordered a plate of the French toast and an order of the breakfast empanadas. While we were waiting for the meals we sat and chatted with Lori. She is such a great person and very knowledgeable about Isla. Not just about the tourist attractions, but the real day to day life living there. When the food arrived and she excused herself so we could enjoy the meal while it was hot and for the first time since I arrived I was wishing it had taken a little longer to prepare a meal as the conversation with Lori was fascinating. Jr. and I again split the two meals and dug in. Bliss does not begin to describe the feelings my son and I were experiencing as we sampled the two dishes. After several bites of each item he looked up and said “are you kidding me! I have never had anything like this, can we move here?” I’ve been sitting here at the keyboard for ten minutes trying to put down in words the experience of that meal, but there are none I can string together that can capture it. I will just say there is now a new number one on my list. We cleaned our plates and at one point I think I caught Jr. peering under the table to see it either of us possibly dropped a morsel he would have gladly recovered. Lori came back to the table to ask if we had enjoyed the meal. Giddy with delight, we praised and thanked her for the joy she had brought to the morning. As she walked away with the dishes Jr. said when she asked how it was I wanted to jump up and hug her, the food was so good. As we walked down Hidalgo toward the hotel Jr. asked what the plans for the day were and I said what ever he would like to do is ok with me. He said he had something in mind and would show me when we got back to the room.

At this point in time I would like to thank (or curse) llkoolaid for what follows.

When we got to the room he rummaged through his bag and pulled out several pieces of paper. As he handed them to me he said he would have to return home with his head hung low if he didn’t spend at least one day doing this. What was printed on the pages was all of the information found on llkoolaid’s Isla Mujeres pub crawl thread including the Excel database file. He had also marked with a little red dot the location of each bar on Mapchick’s map. Upon hearing his words, thoughts of out night earlier in the week over in Cancun and at Poc Na jumped into clear (or somewhat foggy) view and I felt a slight tremor run up my spine. However, seeing as I had been playing the role of the cool dad all week and this was Jr. first tip to Isla I shockingly heard myself saying Ok let’s do it. I did, however, add a caveat to the day by saying no more than one drink at any one place which he eagerly agreed to. As I walked to the door like a condemned man marching down death row I glanced at the clock: 10:38am. As we walked to the cart I noticed a spring in his step I’d never seen before and thought this is going to be a long day. We started our morning at Bally Hoo with a Mango Margarita which as always was great. We had parked the cart on Matamoros and I thought if I didn’t somehow record this now while my brain was still working we might never locate the cart later so I asked the bartender for a pen and I napkin. I marked down the location of the cart and put it in my wallet. From Bally Hoo we made our way down Playa Norte Hitting Buho’s, Sunset and one or two of the bars were you can rent the beach loungers. It was getting on towards lunch so I suggested we hit Hidalgo and grab a little food to absorb some of the alcohol. Surprisingly, I still felt as though my legs were firmly under me although I did notice Isla was beginning to list again slightly. (I think this listing problem should be brought to the attention of someone on Isla and perhaps they can check the underpinnings of the island to see it’s securely in place as this was the second time in a week I’d noticed the problem) We had lunch a Pizzeria Rolandi and washed it down with a Modelo Negro, My son went to order a second cerveza and I reminded him of the one drink rule and he laughed but said ok and told the waiter we would like to take the rest of the pizza to go. He I thought I was being sneaky and buying a little time, but he was on to me and cut me off at the pass. As we were walking down hidalgo and heading back to the cart one of the vendors asked Jr. if he wanted to buy a Cuban cigar. He politely said no and the vendor said come look at his shop. Had the vendor left it at that we would have been able to slip away, but he then threw out come look and I will give you a free tequila shot. My son looked at me and said I need the map I have to mark this one down. AHHHH! We looked around the shop did our tequila shot and moved along. Once back to the cart he broke out the map and said head to Soggy Pesos. Pina colodas at Soggy pesos and then it was on to Oscars. By the time we were leaving Oscars Isla had taken on a serious lean and I was beginning to worry if it continues we might slide off into the Caribbean and I didn’t feel I was in the best condition to be swimming. I know we hit El Varadero’s, but I’m not sure if it was before or after Oscar’s then we headed south. In no specific order we visited Playa Tiburon, Playa Lancheros The Joint ( where I think my son made us break the only rule of one drink/stop) It was around this point where I stopped recording data however there are a number of red dots on his map whit checks next to them so I’m certain I was still standing. Much of what I recall in my minds eye looks like what you see when you are riding a roller coaster and try to pick out someone in the crowd as you roar by. My next clear image is of having a conversation with Tiny as I was seated at his bar with a flaming Mayan Sacrifice sitting in front of me. On the count of three we took them down and before the straw was out of my mouth a second drink was on the bar. I’m not sure where along the way the one drink rule was abandon, but I am still thinking it was at The Joint. As I was sipping the second drink which all I remember it tasting like is cold I asked if we should grab something to eat and Jr. said wow you are hungry again? We just ate like a half an hour ago. Well this was news to me, so I said yeah I guess I’m ok. I think Jr. realized I had no recollection of the dining event and took pity on me. We finished our drinks and he took the old man back to the hotel. Clock on the table now said 9:44pm. … more to come.

Kent England
Level Contributor
507 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day 6 I think?

love the reports, how's the liver?

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
9,825 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day 6 I think?

I'm becoming less anxious to bring my son to Isla. Thanks for the preview of my potential demise.

See what you started, llkoolaid?

Denton, Texas...
Level Contributor
460 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day 6 I think?

Sounds like such a fun trip! I agree about Lola Valentina's being a #1 on the list...thanks for making me drool. :) Lori is so much fun, and so nice to be around! She joined us one night for a couple glasses of wine, and she is extremely interesting to talk to. Ever seen her dance? That girl has got a meannnnn salsa going on!

The Joint is a favorite of mine, too! Great vibe there. We tried breakfast there one day, and my bro-in-law said it was great. I, however, didn't (couldn't) eat anything. The island hadn't completely uprighted for me, yet! I had a cold Sol and a shot of tequila instead, and began to feel more like 'normal' again. That can't be a good thing....

I'm loving your reports! Please keep them coming...gonna spend this Saturday daydreaming of Isla.

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
19,464 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day 6 I think?

Another great report; thank you! And ITA with Lori being super nice and friendly and loved our dinner there. Now it sounds like a must stop for breakfast next time.

Lenexa, Kansas
Level Contributor
2,238 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day 6 I think?

I don't think I could handle that many drinks. I had a powerful margarita last summer in Costa Rica and ended up walking into the wrong restroom! Needless to say, I wasn't seeing to well.

How many more days do you have to write about?

Boise, ID
Level Contributor
447 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day 6 I think?

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Sounds like a perfect day to me... Can't wait to hear more! I am impressed and terrified that you attempted the crawl in one day... we split it into 3. Well done friend, well done indeed. :)

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,405 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day 6 I think?

DMartin, Even though it may take a month or so for the liver to fully recover, spending the time, just me and my son, on Isla was one of the best two weeks I can remember and something I'll treasure always. If you get the chance to take your son bring plenty of tylenol a good pair of sunglasses and be ready for the time of your life.

heynurse1999, No I haven't seen Lori dance, but when I'm back down in December I will be sure to ask her about it. I really liked The Joint it's got a cool vibe going on there, the drinks are excellent and the guy(sorry i can't remember his name) was great to chat with.

TNY, You have to stop by and see Lori for breakfast. As amazing as her place is for dinner( day 7 report still to come), I think her breakfasts are even beter.

dcikon2, Three more full days days and then the departue on Sunday. If you had asked me before we arrived on Isla I would have said i couldn't handle as many drinks as I did. I surprised myself (and my son a little too) :-)

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,405 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day 6 I think?

llkoolaid, You failed to mention in your pub crawl post that it was meant to be a multi day adventure. Had you not omitted this key piece of information I might have been able to argue the point with my son. Hmmm, I'm wondering now if the info was left out intentionally. It was (at least from what I can remember) a really fun day. Additionally, that I made it through the day, has considerably elevated my status back here at home with the twenty something crowd of my two son's friends. :-)

Denton, Texas...
Level Contributor
460 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day 6 I think?

Wow, RickS. Was just telling my 23 y.o. daughter about this, and she said "Soooo, are you saying we are going to Mexico, and I'm getting drunk with my mom?" I think she missed my entire point of spending quality time together.... :) She doesn't drink often, but she LOVES a good tequila. I'm a little worried, and will for sure write down where we parked the cart. That will be a good peice of information to have the next morning to tell the taxi driver when we go back to get the cart! :)

Des Moines, Iowa
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
5,873 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day 6 I think?

I think you should start each sharing one drink at each place! That's what we do, unless of course it's mojitos at El Veradero ;)

Great reports, I am loving them!

Edited: 12:23 pm, June 22, 2013