We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report day 4

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
New Hampshire
Level Contributor
429 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Trip report day 4

Well, we woke up to sunny skies, so today was definitely a beach day! Yay! We headed to the loncheria for breakfast and A&G wasn't open, so we went to Tacos Tumbras all the way at the end. We were extra hungry this morning so we each had a bacon and cheese omelet and split an order of pancakes (hotcakes) with a water each and the total was 130 pesos. We were stuffed! The only thing I missed was the red sauce, other than that, it was just as good as A&G. After breakfast we made a quick stop for waters at the super express, and hit the beach at Chi Chi and Charlies. The water is so pretty there, and it is not nearly as crowded as a little further down where Ixchel and Nautibeach are, probably because they charge 200 pesos for an umbrella and 2 chairs. We had a fabulous day at the beach and didn't feel like leaving for lunch, so we ordered food from the waiter on the beach. He was our waiter from last year and is really nice. 2 burgers and fries, with sodas, they hit the spot and the service was good, and I think was around 220 pesos, not terrible for the convenience. My husband is the dog whisperer. Where ever we go, dogs have to greet him, and the beach was no exception. We had this beautiful dog hang out with us for an hour or so, just getting pets and water from my husband, totally content. We named her Pancake because she was a light brown color. She had a collar on and looked like she was well fed. After the beach it was sunset and cocktails on the balcony, and then happy hour with Romy. Buckets of beer for 90 pesos, then dinner at the Bistro Francais. We love the atmosphere of this little place! We had a nice meal of Caesar salads, Rib Eye Steaks, and cervesas for around 500 pesos. After dinner we did a little shopping and had ice cream for dessert before we headed back to the hotel. All in all a fabulous day!

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
20,338 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip report day 4

Really enjoying your reports. Thank you!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
666 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip report day 4

I just love Bistro Francais also. I love their sangria with the real fruit and really enjoyed the surf and turf also. I'm enjoying reading your trip reports. Looking forward to the next one.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,405 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip report day 4

Sounds like a perfect Isla day, great food, perfect beach and plenty of sun. I love reading the reports. 15 days left until I can start writing my own.

Edited: 8:28 pm, May 20, 2013
new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
20,338 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip report day 4

I was disappointed the Bistro is closed for dinners now :(

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
10,408 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip report day 4

What a beautiful day. And I agree--the area in front of Ixchel used to be my favorite stretch of beach on the entire island but now it's a bit too crowded.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
914 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip report day 4

Bistro Francais is closed for dinner service temporarily. Victor said not many people are wandering off Hidalgo to dine in the evening these days, but he is doing a very good breakfast and lunch business.

He plans to reopen for dinner for July and August and Im assuming he will be open next high season as well.

Ontario
Level Contributor
7,299 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip report day 4

Great report! And SO glad to hear that this isn't permanent for Bistro Francais! Like Shamro said..I too love their sangria! :=)

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
10,408 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip report day 4

It's not unusual for restaurants to scale back in off season. When we strolled past Bistro Francais last September, they were open for dinner but serving a very limited menu. They had only 6 or so entree choices, all of them steak in some form.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
391 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip report day 4

We ate dinner at the French Bistro for the first time in a few years in late April and it was just like I remembered. Very good! The past few years, he hasn't been open much in low season when we visit the island.

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
20,338 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip report day 4

Seafood spoils quickly so that would explain the limited menus when there aren't many people around. Usually Victor has an extensive menu. In May the food excellent. How can you beat surf and turf with a glass of wine for 190 pesos?