We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visit Garafon without a package and swim with dolphins?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Isla Mujeres hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New Jersey
Level Contributor
54 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Visit Garafon without a package and swim with dolphins?

I am staying near the ferry to Isla Mujeres and want to know if it's more cost effective to simply organize a visit "a la carte" versus a package. I would like to visit Garafon Park and do a "swim with the dolphins" -- but only my 10-year-old daughter wants to swim with the dolphins so I don't want to pay for pakages for me and my husband (and I don't think my three-year-old can even do it). Is there any way to just arrive at Isla Mujeres and wing it? Or are these things far away from each other and all by reservation only? Any suggestions most welcome! I'd ask at the hotel where I'm staying but I'm sure they'd recommend a package. Thanks!

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,405 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visit Garafon without a package and swim with dolphins?

You can most certainly do this on your own. You can either rent a cart and drive yourself out to Garafon or you can take a taxi. Taxi will cost a bit less but are not nearly as fun. You can make arrangements for how you want your day to be right at Garrafon. As far as the swim with the dolphins it can be done for just your daughter. It is only a short drive from Garrafon to the location where the Swim with the dolphins is done.

Edited: 2:39 pm, April 12, 2013
new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
19,768 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visit Garafon without a package and swim with dolphins?

I have no idea how much they’re charging for the packages but check out the prices for Garrafon at the link I’m posting and compare how much it would work out either way. Adult rates are 59 dollars per person, children are 39 dollars. That’s just for the park, not the dolphin swim. You can do half day rates as well from 1 – 5. So you may save some money by doing the dolphin swim in the morning then head over to Garrafon. Golf carts are fun, and they’re 50 dollars for the day 9 – 5.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g150810-c181848/Isla-…

Des Moines, Iowa
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
5,885 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visit Garafon without a package and swim with dolphins?

You should reserve the dolphin swim in advance, the Royal swim is probably the best and because your daughter is 10 she must do the swim with an adult, so one of the parents will have to do it with her. So you will have to pay for 2 swims. Adult price is $139 and kids who are 4'7" or under pay $79.

You could do the dolphin encounter, where you don't actually get in the water with them for less.

Walk up rate to go to Garrafon is $59 per adult, $39 for kids 8 & up and free for kids under 5.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,405 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visit Garafon without a package and swim with dolphins?

mapchick,

Thanks for correcting me. I had intended to say that if the daughter wanted to actually get in the water then a parent would need to go in as well, but to just experience the dolphins she could go it alone.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
312 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visit Garafon without a package and swim with dolphins?

I HATE to disagree with Mapchick (because she is a Yucatan Goddess)...but my kids were 9 and did it on their own. My husband and I paid a 15$ entrance to Dolphin Discovery, and bought our twins a swim package (really expensive...maybe 130ish pp)and all 4 of us stayed all day long, The kids got to do a double dolpin swim each, a sting ray swim, the "swim with the sharks"...and hubby and I sat at the bar the whole time...no need to actually get in the water with the kids and dolphins,

But the most important thing to understand is that Garrafon and Dolphin Discovery are 2 different placs. If you ar mostly interested in swimming with dolphins, go to DD. If you are mostly interested in snorkeling, go to Garrafon.

Edited: 10:18 pm, April 12, 2013
Des Moines, Iowa
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
5,885 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visit Garafon without a package and swim with dolphins?

I am going by what the Dolphin Discovery customer service rep told me.

My daughter did the dolphin swim many years ago at Xel-Ha, so I don't have first hand experience with DD. I do know she had to have an adult accompany her there.

Edited: 3:35 pm, April 13, 2013
Kansas
Level Contributor
301 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visit Garafon without a package and swim with dolphins?

If you just want to snorkel could you just go to Hotel y Club de Playa Garrafon de Castilla and pay 50 pesos?

8. Re: Visit Garafon without a package and swim with dolphins?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, April 15, 2014