We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 week down, 2 to go.

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Isla Mujeres hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Council Bluffs, Iowa
Level Contributor
366 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
1 week down, 2 to go.

Well, been here for a week now. Flight down from KC was a bit more stressful than I am accustomed to, they gave us 13 minutes between connections in Houston. Bad enough? Nope, our flight from KC was 15 minutes late getting in from Chicago. We RAN as fast as we could and I'm sure if I could have gotten on the tram rail I could have pushed that thing faster than it travels. They were calling our name when we got to the gate. Whew! Then it hit me, our luggage is not going to make it. I was tapping my foot all the way. No worry, the luggage made it and we got a green light at customs.

Got a cab to Mara Villa Caribe, freshened up then went back down to Bally Hoo for dinner. Early night for us. Still felt like dog doo on Thursday so I went to see Dr Salas, had bronchitis. 3 prescriptions for me.

Mara Villa Caribe, Ronda and Bruce are so very nice. Enjoyed my chats with them. It was downright chilly on a few evenings. The neighbor and I wrapped up in blankets and got comfy in the hammocks (she in hers, I in mine) to enjoy some evening conversation. The Colonia is very colorful down there, many nice family eateries that were oh so yummy! There is no TV at Mara Villa, that didn't bother me as I'd rather read but tv is hubbies lullabies at night. He was a bit sore at me over that but he made it. I will say I won't make that mistake again.

Spent lots of beach time, sea glass and shell hunting. We basically got our Isla Zen tuned in down there.

My niece got married last Sat and a group of family are staying in Playa Del Carmen. They booked a boat to come to Isla today but the port was closed due to the winds again. Darn, we were so looking forward to sharing the beauty of Isla with them. We were going to go to the beach and have a late lunch, early dinner with them. I tried getting them to take a bus and/or cab to Puerto Juarez but they didn't feel confident enough for that journey.

We moved closer to town today for the next 2 weeks. Hubby is so much more comfortable now, this is like home to us. Got all settled in, filled the frig with food and took a siesta. We had to go for a long walk around the beach. Crossed over the bridge to see if they could show us a room at the Avalon. Plan on bringing our grandson down in August so I was looking at different options. That won't be one of them. I thought the room we were shown was a bit run down, not the Mexican flavor I am looking for. Ended up at Fenix for a couple for a couple of drinks and people watching. Their drinks and the atmosphere is just so inviting and relaxing. I love it.

We did go to Bahia Tortuga's to listen to Ken Wanovich from Minnesota play music for a couple hours. He is quite good. He played music from the 70's if you like that era, which we do.

Went to Soggy Peso for a couple drinks and left. We are not into women with vulgar mouths and a middle finger that needs taped down but that's just us. Don't like it? Leave. So we did.

We've eaten at Bally Hoo, Brisas, Poc Chuc, Kash Ken Chen (?), Mangos, the eateries outside the store on the square, family eateries in the colonia's. We make breakfast in the apartment and usually lunch too.

Not a lot to report here, pretty lazy we are, but enjoying every minute.

Edited: 11:31 pm, April 10, 2013
Kansas City...
Level Contributor
373 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 week down, 2 to go.

Oh my goodness, sounds FABULOUS! Where are you staying your last two weeks? I might have over-looked that but didn't see that you mentioned it. The Fenix is on our list for June, I've read so many wonderful things about that place, as well as Bahia Torguga. I too am from Kansas City, long are the days where we use to have Non-Stop! Glad to hear you were a fast runner and made it to your connecting flight! Enjoy your two more weeks, keep reporting, we love to hear about your trip!

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
19,557 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 week down, 2 to go.

Can't wait for the rest; really enjoyed reading this. At Avalon, did you see one of the villas in the back or a room in the main hotel?

Oh, and love your "Don't like it? Leave. So we did" line. I'd be leaving right along with you, lol.

Council Bluffs, Iowa
Level Contributor
366 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 week down, 2 to go.

Sally, our "home" on Isla is Casa Havana. It has the Colonia flavor but just a couple minutes walk to downtown. We, didn't see a suite, just a room at Avalon, but man, that would be a long walk for this girl, especially after a couple margs or pina colada's. I'm thinking we will just stay here at the casa . He wanted to be on the beach but I don't see that in the cards.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
9,958 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1 week down, 2 to go.

We visited Soggy Peso on our last trip. Stayed all of 30 seconds.

Plattsmouth...
Level Contributor
2,147 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1 week down, 2 to go.

BG, thanks for the reports. I would like to hear more about your favorite meals in the colonias sometme.

The weather here at home is awful. Very cold, gloomy and rainy. We had some decent weather for a couple of days.

6. Re: 1 week down, 2 to go.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, April 13, 2014