We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report Day 3 and 4 of Finally Here

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
310 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report Day 3 and 4 of Finally Here

DAY 3

We once again awoke very early, 5:30 am, I guess we are anxious to not waste a day, we enjoyed our coffee and pastries purchased from a van the night before at the foot of Hidalgo right on the balcony and enjoyed the early morning solitude.

Decided to walk on the Malecon before it got too hot but halfway through our walk it was unbearable and we quickly made our way back to the beach and the ocean. Very refreshing to swim at this time of year with no one else around. Beach was deserted until about 9:30 and we relaxed until lunch time when we decided on Alexia Giovani (sp) in the loncheria area.

We decided to split a snack of fried banana with cream and then two orders of Chile Relenos, Excellent meal, with four beers only 230 pesos. Back to the beach for more relaxation.

After posting on here and asking for recommendations for a fun bar that had live music most of you recommended Bahia Tortuga so we decided to give a try. We called a taxi from the hotel and gave him the location and when we got there he asked for 50 pesos which p__ssed me off as I knew at most it should be 30 pesos, I argued but he said it was because the hotel (Ixchel) had called which made it more money, which is also BS, anyway I am on vacation and just paid him versus arguing.

When we arrived at Bahia Tortuga and walked in it was about 6:30 pm and the place was empty and I thought we were in for a major disappointment, the place wasn’t much to look at either. We decided to sit down and order drinks and see where it ended up. Thirty minutes later the place filled up with people who clearly came to see the singer and we were thoroughly entertained with his music. He played for about an hour and half and the crowd really got into it, we stayed for dinner and had fajitas and enchiladas and they were very good. The night was beautiful, on the water, nice breeze, listening to a good singer singing oldies in an open air bar. One of our better nights. After the headliner it was open mike and we decided to leave (which turned out to be a good decision as open mike is not very appealing, there is a reason these folks have a main job that does not include singing but they tried hard. ) Called it a night and flagged down a taxi back to Ixchel for 25 pesos.

Day 4

Slept in till 6:30 and awoke to an overcast day, rainy day, definitely not a beach day, considered renting a golf cart but decided to wait for a nicer day. Headed over to Alexia y Giovanni for breakfast, coffee, watermelon water, tex-mex eggs and scrambled eggs with onions only 120 pesos. Shopped for an hour or so and then back to the condo for a quiet day.

Later in afternoon went to Jax’s for a bucket of beer and split an order of beef nachos, very good, 5 Corona beers =80 pesos.

Decided to go to Brisas Grill as the same singer from Bahia Tortuga was playing at Brisas. The evening was cool but pleasant and we did enjoy the singer once again – his name is Ken Warnick (sp) I believe. Anyway had a couple drinks and then walked over to Hidalgo St for dinner at Rolandi’s. It was a unfortunate choice and very forgetful dinner, pizza and pasta, sorry we wasted a night on this as it was very bland and boring and there are so many more unique eats on the island. Anyway we brought most of it back to the condo and will try to eat it for lunch tomorrow or feed it to the birds.

Mentioned in this post
La Tortuga Hotel & Spa
La Tortuga Hotel & Spa
2,478 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Ixchel Beach Hotel
Ixchel Beach Hotel
1,497 Reviews
Isla Mujeres, Mexico
JAX Bar & Grill
JAX Bar & Grill
1,297 Reviews
Isla Mujeres, Mexico
Rosa Sirena's Restaurant
$$ - $$$, Mexican, Steakhouse, Seafood
North Garden
$, Mexican, Caribbean, Contemporary
Mango Cafe Isla
$$ - $$$, Mexican, Caribbean, Latin
new york
Level Contributor
20,782 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report Day 3 and 4 of Finally Here

Enjoying your report, sounds like you're having a great time. BTW, cabs really are more money if you call one instead of hailing one so he wasn't BS-ing you.

Edited: 9:22 am, April 06, 2013
ct
Level Contributor
1,452 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report Day 3 and 4 of Finally Here

It's really easy to get a cab also. If we want one, we usually just start walking and within a minute or two one comes by.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
310 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report Day 3 and 4 of Finally Here

Thanks, I thought he was pulling a scam

Canada
Level Contributor
1,195 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report Day 3 and 4 of Finally Here

Let this be a lesson to all: always agree on cab price as you enter. I either ask how much he wants or state how much I'm thinking of paying just to be sure we are all clear on the price.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
10,423 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report Day 3 and 4 of Finally Here

From Ixchel, we usually wait right at the corner of Hidalgo and Lopez Mateos. If one doesn't show up immediately, we start walking toward Medina and only once have we gone as far as the circle before getting a cab.

We also went to Bahia Tortuga somewhat skeptically, but ended up having a great time and later admitting that were we to move to Isla, we'd probably be regulars. We heard Javier (of La Banda Sin Nombre) switch from Latin music to Johnny Cash songs, and his girlfriend Marla (of Isla Mujeres Budget Rentals) do a great rendition of Janis Joplin. Very fun evening.

Mentioned in this post
Ixchel Beach Hotel
Ixchel Beach Hotel
1,497 Reviews
Isla Mujeres, Mexico
La Tortuga Hotel & Spa
La Tortuga Hotel & Spa
2,478 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Isla Mujeres
Isla Mujeres
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Boston...
Level Contributor
1,405 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report Day 3 and 4 of Finally Here

Sounds like another great Isla vacation is underway. Bahia Tortuga is a great little place to sit back have a few drinks and listen to some good music. Sometimes the open mike night can be entertaining. Last time I was down there was a guy who got up and sang and he was as good if not better than the scheduled entertainment for the night. I learned my lesson about taxi's many years ago in Cancun. A ride from Gran Puerto to my hotel ended up costing me more than the round trip ferry to Isla and dinner on the island. Now after letting the driver know where I want to go the next words out of my mouth are "lo que es el costo"?

Mentioned in this post
La Tortuga Hotel & Spa
La Tortuga Hotel & Spa
2,478 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
7. Re: Trip Report Day 3 and 4 of Finally Here

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, April 08, 2014