We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Isla Mujers

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
wATERVILLE, OHIO...
Level Contributor
186 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Isla Mujers

Is it more expensive to go to Isla Mujers or just stay somewhere in Cancun. We do no do all inclusives. Am thinking since this is an island that it is probably more expensive to stay and eat llike St Barts.any ideas? thanks

Eve

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,627 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Isla Mujers

Nope - it is MUCH cheaper than the mainland in virtually every respect. I would guess that is is one of the cheapest Caribbean islands.

Like anywhere, there are cheap accommodations and expensive accommodations but in general, you get a lot more for your money on Isla. Most restaurants are also priced really well.

Lafayette, Indiana
Level Contributor
547 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Isla Mujers

We hate the AIs. We like to get an apartment with a full kitchen and cook some and go out some. We have a blast! I have always thought that isla is very affordable. There are all kinds of prices, locations and options. I know someone more informed than I will post good sites to use for helping find a place. And I can guarantee you you'll have more fun in isla than cancun...depending on your definition of fun I suppose. But for us it is super-fun...:)

Richmond, Texas
Level Contributor
847 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Isla Mujers

Here is a link to a map with website links to many of the hotels on the island. This should help give you an idea of pricing, locations and ammenities. www.cancunmap.com/isla-mujeres-hotels.html

Edited: 6:01 pm, April 04, 2013
new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
19,989 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Isla Mujers

Check out this listing of different types of accommodations, which range from budget 35 dollars a night (still very nice) to expensive (Villa Rolandi). It's from our third Top Question on the upper right hand side. Accommodations on Isla. At the end it lists several highly reputable agents on Isla who represent properties in all price ranges and for every taste. Check out their websites.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g150810-c154138/Isla-…

Isla is one of the last few remaining bargains of a Caribbean vacation. While prices have gone up since I started going many years ago, you still can't beat it, especially in low season. I don't know when you're planning your trip, but you won't come close to St. Barts or any of the other popular islands.

For instance, Ixchel Beach hotel has stunning ocean front suites with wrap-around terrace, full kitchen, tons of space, for around 175 dollars in June. An ocean view (not ocean front) suite is around 140. And that's one of the higher end properties.

Posada del Mar, if you want to go budget, is across from the beach, has ocean view rooms with balconies (not all are), nice swimming pool, great palapa bar, restaurant, etc., with modern, updated rooms including a safe and flat screen TV for 65 -70 dollars in June.

Food and all beverages usually cost my husband and me around 85 -100 dollars a day and we eat very well in nice restaurants. You can do it a lot cheaper.

Check out the Top Questions, especially the restaurant one as there are threads in there listing menu prices, etc. That will give you an idea.

oakville, ON
Destination Expert
for Oakville
Level Contributor
5,177 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Isla Mujers

And definitely NOTHING like St. Bart's ( which I LOVE) but it is super economical and laid back. No Louis Vuiton or Gucci stores here.

We have rented a two bedroom, three bath condo at Ixchel with a 1400 sq furnished roof top terrace, complete wit hot tub and outdoor theatre right on the beach for $185 per night,including tax. This is the low season, but still... You would be hard pressed to find that for that price anywhere, anytime of the year.

Edited: 6:39 pm, April 04, 2013
Boston...
Level Contributor
1,405 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Isla Mujers

Isla is MUCH cheaper than Cancun. I travel down 2-3 times a year and split time between Cancun and Isla each trip with 5 days in Cancun and then 10 on Isla. I spend about the same for 5 days in Cancun as I do 10 on Isla.

Stillwater...
Level Contributor
863 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Isla Mujers

Depending on what time of year you want to give Isla Mujeres a try, you might want to do some research into the apartments at Color de Verano. They're usually not available during January-March as repeat customers usually have them booked (including us), but they might be available for the time you are looking at. They are fully stocked with what you will need to cook.

8. Re: Isla Mujers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, April 07, 2014