We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whale Shark diving

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Isla Mujeres hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
2 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Whale Shark diving

Can someone tell me what the best hotel and best agency is for diving with the whale sharks in Isla Mujeres? We are certified scuba divers but it is my understanding that you are no longer able to dive with them, is this the case?

What other dives could we do while there as well?

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
27,716 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Whale Shark diving

Only snorkeling. There is a top question to the right that has the names of some folks who make these trips,

Boston...
Level Contributor
821 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Whale Shark diving

Whale shark tours are snorkel only. We went with On Isla Mujeres last September for our whale shark tour and will be using them again this September. Highly recommend them

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
9,958 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Whale Shark diving

Not sure you could ever dive with the whale sharks--it's snorkeling only. Everyone has their own favorite operator, but I personally like "On Isla Mujeres" for their large, comfortable boat with a dive platform. Aqua Adventures also has a platform on their boat, and since they're also a dive shop you could have one-stop shopping with them. And Captain Tony Garcia is another favorite. You'll see info on each under the Top Question, "How do I arrange to go diving and/or on whale shark adventures?"

The diving situation is, frankly, not great. Isla is well north of the more developed portion of the Meso-American reef, so you won't see nearly as much coral as in, say, Cozumel. In older literature you'll see references to the "Cave of the Sleeping Sharks," but that partially collapsed during a hurricane several years ago and no longer attracts sharks. One of the more interesting sites (or group of sites) is the underwater museum, or MUSA. Here's a link that shows you some of the statues in this aquatic art display:

http://www.underwatersculpture.com/

Note that not all the works shown on this web site are off of Isla. Some, in fact, are not even in Mexico.

There are about a dozen dive shops on Isla, all of them pretty small, mom-and-pop type shops. You could wait until you're on Isla to visit them--personally I'm always nervous making arrangements with a shop I've never seen.

We love Isla Mujeres for many reasons, but not for diving. We go to Cozumel for that.

Level Contributor
2 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Whale Shark diving

Thank you so much! We have never been to Mexico other than Juarez and are not familiar with anything there. I wasn't sure about the dive situation so thank you for the information!

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
9,958 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Whale Shark diving

It depends on whether you're looking for a "dive trip" or a "trip with diving." If diving is the focus, try looking at Cozumel. But Isla is a smaller island with a very laid back feel--really a special place. And it has the whale sharks. We either resign ourselves to the fact that we'll be doing some "so-so" diving or we go to Cozumel at the beginning of our trip and then head to Isla to relax at the end.

6. Re: Whale Shark diving

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, April 06, 2014