We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report - Days 4//5/6

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Isla Mujeres hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Massachusetts
Level Contributor
650 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report - Days 4//5/6

Woke up to another cloudy day so after writing the trip report for our first three days we headed out to take pictures and explore a bit. We found that there is a walkway around the entire lagoon. It took us about 45 leisurely minutes to make it around. Quite interesting to see the "back-side" of the houses deep in the neighborhoods. Lovely walk and a gorgeous new wooden bridge at the far side (LaGloria) that leads to the sports complex. There are a couple of parks/playgrounds in the area as well.

Mango Cafe is a must-do for us and we headed there for lunch. Fish tacos and chicken quesadillas,yummy! Did some more exploring and walked around the church across the street from Mango. Weather looked a bit more like rain so we headed back to the apartment and hunkered down for what we thought would be a rainy afternoon. Poured a couple of afternoon cocktails and grabbed a seat outside on the deck which overlooks the street to watch all the neighborhood kids play soccer. Another couple staying here came out and joined us and we spent the afternoon with them, sipping cervezas and vino and making new friends :) The weather improved greatly....in fact, because we weren't expecting any real sunshine we both got a little burned due to lack of sunscreen lol. The sun was in and out all afternoon but apparently enough to do some damage. No complaints here!

Rather than head to centro we crossed another colonia restaurant off our list ~ Le Bruja. We had a very good meal there but we were the only patrons. I did a review on the restaurant forums for anyone interested in details but we would definately go back....the seafood stew was wonderful.

Wednesday morning looked even more ominous than the previous day. We got dressed to go exploring again when the rains started. We hung around the apartment as long as we could while it rained on and off but at some point around lunchtime we grabbed the umbrella and headed out. We decided to walk halfway around the lagoon and then go into the neighborhood to get lunch. We arrived at Oscars Pizza & Pasta, which turns out to be just a 10 minute walk from us. Never would have figured that from our golf cart tour, haha. We decided to belly up for a bit once the rain began again. We had the guacamole (we've had this at every meal), beef burritto and chicken quesadilla. Everything was excellent, service was friendly and it was a fun place to watch the golf carts come and go while escaping the rain. The bar was under an overhang so we could sit outside.

Once the rain stopped and it started clearing we headed to Soggy Peso for their Wednesday wing special (and yes, they are probably the best wings we've ever had) and then next door to Bahia Tortuga to see the live band (I think Energetico) playing from 6-8. They were pretty good but still not many people around. We settled for the american food they had and it was good ~~ he had a burger and I had a steak n cheese sub.

Thursday we woke up to sunshine, yeah!!! Packed that beach bag quicker than you can say....breakfast first at A&G, same ole same ole...Banana shakes, Huervos Divorciados and OE eggs with bacon. Can't beat it for the price. Walked from the hostel toward Playa Norte to check out the various chair prices. Seems that with the rainy days some of the beach clubs were trying to make up their losses by increasing the prices....Sunset wanted $300MP (which goes toward food and drink) so we passed on them. Ended up renting from someone with just a few chairs just east of Ixchel for $150MP. I hate paying for the beach chairs, lol. Yes, I'm the one always looking for someone to share the cost of beach chairs with me but no luck this trip. Happy hour through them was a joke...really? $65MP was their 2x1 for cerveca. We left our chairs and headed to the new little restaurant just behind Ixchel before you get to the corner. Great tacos for cheap $$. Owner ran out to get us a couple of Coronas to go with lunch. Wondered why they didn't have them available? Are there beer/licuor license restrictions? Anyway, we then went to the nearby beer store and grabbed a few to take back to our chairs.

Spent most of the day at the beach and it was beautiful. Another trip to Chedraui for more coffee and beer, showers and back to El Centro to shoot some pool at Posada Del Mar and the obligatory Mayan Sacrifice :) Another round at Sunset Grill and then we headed to Fredy's for his famous pork chop and shrimp dishes. GREAT. We finished off across the street at Lolo Valentines for an Irish Coffee. The owner came over and sat with us for a bit, showed us the new menu for her place opening next door and we talked a bit about the Isla restaurant business. I've spent many years in restaurant management so it was interesting to hear her take on it here in Isla. All in all just the kind of day we want while vacationing here! Lets hope for many more of the same.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
9,958 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report - Days 4//5/6

Sounds like a great time, even on some laid back days. We've had la Bruja on our list for every trip but somehow haven't made it there yet. Was the "seafood stew" you had the chilpachole? I was under the impression they served it only on Sundays--and since I want to try it this has contributed to not making it there yet--Sundays on Isla are usually fully booked for us.

BTW, my son is in restaurant management in Boston. I keep trying to get him down to Isla but it's difficult for him to get time off.

Council Bluffs, Iowa
Level Contributor
366 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report - Days 4//5/6

I'm so glad you are able to make good of the overcast and rainy days. Wonderful report, thank you for taking the time to fill us all in.

Plattsmouth...
Level Contributor
2,147 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report - Days 4//5/6

Thank you for your trip reports and for your review of La Bruja. It's on my list for the next trip. I hope you have great weather for the remainder of your trip!

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
914 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report - Days 4//5/6

Super trip reports!

I love La Bruja, too. First time I ate there I thought I had discovered it myself, only to find it's one of the favourites for many on this forum. lol

I think Mango Cafe serves the best fish tacos on Isla. I've had their fish tacos twice and Buho's three times, the grilled once and deep fried twice, I fail to see what all the fuss is about. Maybe it's the ambience.

Edited: 1:17 pm, March 29, 2013
Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
914 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report - Days 4//5/6

argh... not Buho's I meant Bally Hoo's..... Too much sun LOL

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
666 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report - Days 4//5/6

Thanks for keeping up updated with your trip reports. Appreciate you taking the time. I hope the weather improves for you.

Des Moines, Iowa
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
5,880 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report - Days 4//5/6

Lori is opening another restaurant next door to Lola Valentina?

When is that supposed to open, any more info?

Abuelos probably does not have a liquor license and that is why they ran out to get you some.

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
19,577 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report - Days 4//5/6

Yes, I was going to ask too about an other restaurant next to Lola's. Did Lori say what it's going to be?

Great trip reports, thank you!

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,405 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report - Days 4//5/6

Sounds like you are having a great time. What is the new little taco place you came across near Ixchel? Maybe Lori will have the new restaurant open by the time I am down in June. If so, I'll be sure to check it out. Hope the rest of your time on Isla is sunny. Have a great time and thanks for the update. I've been keeping an eye on the cold damp weather back here in Mass for you.

Des Moines, Iowa
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
5,880 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report - Days 4//5/6

I just heard a rumor, and you know how those are on Isla!...

That she is moving next door, could just be a rumor.