We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need Help... First Time Visitors... All Inclusive or Not

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Severna Park...
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Need Help... First Time Visitors... All Inclusive or Not

First time visitors arriving on the island March 20-26. My wife and I have traveled extensively throughout the Carribean and were wondering if it was worth going "all inclusive" at the Palace or stay at a place like Hotel Secreto and eat and drink in town.

We love exploring new palces and I am begining to think that staying at the Palace is going to be a waste of money if we are eating and drinking out in town all the time.

Your thoughts?????

Thanks!

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,263 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Need Help... First Time Visitors... All Inclusive or Not

Isla is the perfect island to NOT do AI - you will not run out of food opportunities . . . have fun! :)

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
3,090 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Need Help... First Time Visitors... All Inclusive or Not

Food is amazing on IM and extremely reasonable and we love our food. I would tell everyone not to do AI. Too much good food to be had all over the place. You will see what I mean when you get there.

Be sure to order a Mapchick map..... great info on where everything is and you'll see all the places to eat.

Olathe, Kansas
Level Contributor
1,761 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Need Help... First Time Visitors... All Inclusive or Not

We were just at Isla and for the first time we did non AI. It was wonderful and I will not do AI on the island. So many placed to eat and drink and not enough time to do them. We visited the Palace and were not impressed with the resort. The only thing I thought they had going for them was the beach and they are as many good beaches in town. Just do it. You won't regret it.

NY
Level Contributor
272 posts
1 review
Save Reply
14. Re: Need Help... First Time Visitors... All Inclusive or Not

We got an insane deal at PA for AI, and it's well worth it (it cost $17/day to upgrade on Expedia). We ALWAYS eat dinner out though...as others have stated, if you can get a good deal, it's well worth it for breakfast and day drinks alone!!

Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
2,496 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Need Help... First Time Visitors... All Inclusive or Not

If you want to do AI so you have fixed costs look into Privilege Aluxes. As mentioned above, thay have some great AI deals. If you want to enjoy the pool & beach & not pay for everything out of pocket, it is often worth it. Then you can bring a certain amount to spend going to other restaurants all within walking distance to Privileges.

The Palace is a nice resort with beautiful views & a much more private beach (really only their clients) but it is quite a bit out of town. That may seem funny because the Island is only 5 miles long but the difference between downtown & the Southend is like city life versus country life. And 20 minutes in a golf cart feels like forever compared to a car!

16. Re: Need Help... First Time Visitors... All Inclusive or Not

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, March 10, 2014