We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Be aware

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Isla Mujeres hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Wyoming
Level Contributor
2,038 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Be aware

Just want to bring this to everyone's attention. There have been a couple of incidences with children asking for rides, jumping on the golf carts, etc. They ask for money. They won't take no for an answer, they are very mean and diligent. Don't pick up kids. If they hop on your cart, be firm and don't be afraid to ask for help getting them away from you. Some of the locals have pictures and are trying to get this taken care of quickly. One of the incidents involved 3 girls about 8 or 9 years old. This is also very scary since i am sure these girls don't realize the potential danger they could be in. I don't want to make a big deal out of it, but you need to be aware and prepared.

Lafayette, Indiana
Level Contributor
545 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Be aware

I didn't have any luck with the link but thanks for the info. I will try it again. :)

Wyoming
Level Contributor
2,038 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Be aware

Just go to Facebook and do a search on

Isla mujeres community information board

Lafayette, Indiana
Level Contributor
545 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Be aware

Found it. I have no idea why when I searched that earlier today on FB that it didn't pop up...

Des Moines, Iowa
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
5,811 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Be aware

One of the ladies who works in a shop on Hidalgo, these are same ladies who walk the beach, they wear long skirts and always look very hot to me. Anyway, one of those ladies was walking around with a baby asking tourists for money when I was there, she would take the baby's hand and hold it out, it was very sad, but I didn't give her anything. A local told me she is a beggar, and we shouldn't give her money, he also told me that the Isla gov't has a food program, (I didn't know that) and no one on the island goes hungry.

Des Moines, Iowa
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
5,811 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Be aware

wow, just read the story, those are some brazen little girls, I hope they don't get hurt. Something similar happened to a friend of mine and me a few years ago, we were stopped, taking some photos on our golf cart and 2 cute little boys came up and smiled and were so cute, they hung on to our cart and demanded money to let go, we first nicely said no, and then I had to yell at them like they were my own kids, I must have scared them and they let go and ran off. :)

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
19,014 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Be aware

I was told that the women who wear those long skirts and colorful tops are not from the Yucatan but Chiapas. Is that true?

Wyoming
Level Contributor
2,038 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Be aware

I know one of the families and they are from Chiapas. You would be amazed at how many people come here from Chapais to work.

Edited: 4:24 pm, February 23, 2013
new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
19,014 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Be aware

Ok, makes sense. Since their clothing does not look remotely Mayan, I asked a few years ago and was told they're from Chiapas.

Mapchick, great idea. I can put on what everyone calls my mean face and mean voice, and scare them off, lol.

Washington DC
Level Contributor
1,461 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Be aware

There are many Maya from Chiapas working the beaches in QR. That is there traditional dress, not the white with floral emboidery of the yucatec Maya.

Des Moines, Iowa
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
5,811 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Be aware

Yes, Chiapas, I was trying to remember, having brain freeze today. Anyway, Hated how she would hold out the baby's hand, she would walk right into a restaurant, and scurry off when a restaurant employee would see her.

Maggie had something she said to these little girls in Spanish, "NO estoy BROMEANDO, bajen ahora!" It means, "I'm not kidding, down now!"

Get answers to your questions about Isla Mujeres