We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Batteries are now confiscated at Cancun airport ?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Quebec City, Canada
Level Contributor
1,564 posts
232 reviews
Save Topic
Batteries are now confiscated at Cancun airport ?

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g150807-i8-k6167349…

???

Des Moines, Iowa
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
6,005 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Batteries are now confiscated at Cancun airport ?

We bring a lot of batteries have never had them confiscated, but have only gotten the red light twice in all these years.

Our gps eats through them!

Edited: 5:10 pm, February 24, 2013
Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,704 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Batteries are now confiscated at Cancun airport ?

But... GPS just takes standard batteries like AA. I carry down the one set inside my GPS unit, and plan to buy more alkalines at a market somewhere as I need 'em. (Avoid the garbage non-alkalines.) 10 pesos each or thereabouts, cheap.

No extra batteries, no rechargeables & charger (those stay at home) for me, they get in the way of travelling light.

Edited: 5:59 pm, February 24, 2013
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
188 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Batteries are now confiscated at Cancun airport ?

Did I read that correctly? Mapchick uses a GPS?

My heart is broken!

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
364 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Batteries are now confiscated at Cancun airport ?

For those that take carry-on only, I find that if your extra batteries are still in the original packaging, there is no issue. Then if I have not needed to use them, I leave them behind - they are much appreciated.

Council Bluffs, Iowa
Level Contributor
368 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Batteries are now confiscated at Cancun airport ?

This battery issue has been going on for years. I always take an extra "value pak" with us and have never had an issue. I don't understand why some people get them taken away and others don't. I have never had anything but good experiences with the employees at the CUN Airport.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,420 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Batteries are now confiscated at Cancun airport ?

I just had a pair of fishing pliers confiscated yesterday at the Airport.

It was my fault as i put the pliers along with my other fishing gear in my carry on luggage instead of putting them in my checked luggage.

And another thing i learned is if you bring ANY type of fishing lures in a plastic tackle box they will check the whole box out! I guess they are looking for knives and other things which i do not blame them.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,963 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Batteries are now confiscated at Cancun airport ?

lithium batteries must be installed in a devise or wrapped to keep the contacts from shorting. This prevents them from over heating from accidental discharge and starting a fire.

I think they must also be in your carry on stuff.

Maybe they can "Say" you are bringing to many AA so they must be for resale!

LOL

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
398 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Batteries are now confiscated at Cancun airport ?

Exactly what Knothead said. There are rules about lithium batteries because they're considered to be a fire risk. I had an extra set of rechargeable lithium batteries confiscated from my checked bag on the U.S. end several years ago. I now put some extra lithium batteries in the sides of my camera case and another small set in their packing in another area of my backpack. I haven't had problems carrying them that way. My husband had pliers and a few other tools confiscated from his fishing gear when we were leaving Cancun last year. He now makes sure to put the fishing kit in a checked bag.

19. Re: Batteries are now confiscated at Cancun airport ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, February 27, 2014