We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ATM Question

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Isla Mujeres hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
ATM Question

I know its probably been ask before. I cannot remember. When we use the ATM can we get American or peso's? I remember in t\Tulum we could, but not sure on Isla. I usually just cash travelers checks on Isla, never the ATM. But hubby says we can get American or Peso's

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,935 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ATM Question

At hsbc ATM near the ferry dock you can also get US dollars at the atm on the right. All three can give you pesos

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
9,828 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ATM Question

You can get either, but I believe if you get dollars it's been converted to pesos and back, so you'd be paying a premium. Stick with pesos.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ATM Question

Thanks

Des Moines, Iowa
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
5,873 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ATM Question

No reason to get US dollars from an ATM in Mexico that I can think of, but some do give you the option. As DMartin says you'll be paying a premium.

We always bring US dollars and basically set it aside for emergencies, like if we can't get an ATM to work. That happened to us once, not on Isla Mujeres, but since then, we go prepared.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ATM Question

some of the places we plan to pay for services.

ie: paddle boarding, Capt Tony etc. told us they would rather have US dollars. so I just wanted to know incase we would like to get more then we take.

We are the travelers check people. I always take pesos from US, a bit of US cash, and then travelers checks. The travelers checks are free money as I call it. No fees at all.

I hate to pay access to the money I earned.

6. Re: ATM Question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, February 14, 2014