We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

On the island trip report...day 4

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Wild Rose, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
149 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
On the island trip report...day 4

Day 4-finally caught up...this is yesterday...

Weather is again sunny and beautiful, but a bit windier. If this is a “norte” I think it’s better than any weather event in Wisconsin ever.

We woke up and drank our coffee on the deck, just wasting time in paradise. I had been dreaming of Cochinita Pibil from the market for a year. We headed there at 10 to grab some. Ok, I admit kinda late for it….but.... We went to the two stalls that had it last year, but they were closed. NO COCHINITA PIBIL!!! Impossible! The stalls were bare, like no one had even been there! I asked at one of the other stalls and they said no. aww…I am nearly devastated.

Darn!

Alright, I am over it, but vow to try again next Sunday!

We decided to take some more puppies for a walk at Isla Animals, so headed there at 11 a.m. We took two pups out for a walk, which ended up being one walking and me carrying one. Met some nice folks who were adopting the dog we walked yesterday, Clemente. They will be taking him home to Canada.

We were starving and decided on Soggy Peso for ribs. We arrived around 12:30, had a drink and relaxed until they started serving. Visited with some great people from Oregon, who were on Isla for their second time. DH and I shared the heathen platter (ribs, sausage, veggies, potato salad and corn bread) which cost 230 pesos. A bargain in my book, as the ribs are excellent. The Peso was really busy today, more so than I have seen in the last few years on a Sunday. It was standing room only. We headed back to our home away from home, to just relax a bit, maybe take a siesta. We will head into town for the parade, which is supposed to start at 3, so we will go at 4. Ha ha. We went into town around 5. We stopped by Brisas Grill as they had a disco party going on. That was fun to watch. There were people dressed up in clothes from the era, (go go boots, sequined skirts etc), and disco dancing. The Carnivale parade also continued, so we would go out to the street as the dance troops came by. When we had enough disco, we headed to the town square to see what was going on. (We were hungry). My husband had eaten empanadas made fresh last night, so wanted more tonight. We grabbed a beer from the tent (I am actually surprised to see beer for sale on Sunday, as last year we couldn’t buy it unless we went to a bar) in the square, then sat and waited for the empanada lady to finish setting up. We ordered tacos and empanadas then sat and watched the kids play, and the square come to life. It sure does get busy down there. You can feel the excitement in the air as people get ready for the show to start. After an hour or so, we decided to head out. We stopped at Jax and listened to EG Kight for a bit, then went to Bahia Tortuga and had a cocktail. We took a short drive around marveling in the fact that we were in shorts, in a golf cart, in February, and we were warm, safe and happy. We headed home and called it a night.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
10,426 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: On the island trip report...day 4

No cochinita pibil? Bummer ... we usually go to the loncherias for breakfast on Sunday morning at about 8 AM, then head inside to pick some up for lunch. Of course, this works best if you're staying somewhere with a kitchen, since you'll want to heat it up.

Been seeing lots of pics of Carnivale on FB. We've never been, but with today's technology it's a lot easier to feel like you're there, with pictures and with descriptions like yours. Thanks for sharing your Sunday!

Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
3,174 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: On the island trip report...day 4

Because of Carnival some places have been closed. Most schools are out Tuesday & some also today, Monday. I am betting that is why you could not find your cochinita pibil. We had the carnitas from Carnita Nouveau Esperanza yesterday, it is melt in your mouth delicious! It is a little local spot up behind the Yamaha dealership before Chedraui. You can get tacos, tortas or kilos to go.

Wild Rose, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
149 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: On the island trip report...day 4

WolrabRoil-we will have to check it out! Thanks I also hope that is the case with the cochinita pibil.

DMartin-I will let you know next Sunday if I am successful!

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: On the island trip report...day 4

another great day to enjoy Isla. Love to read the reports, thanks.

5. Re: On the island trip report...day 4

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, February 13, 2014