We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Using Spanish?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
87 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Using Spanish?

Quick Q- 1st time to isla- will I actually get to use my Spanish at all (not fluent or even proficient but have been learning steadily) or is Isla more of an expat filled community. I am trying to compare to Vieques here where I was surprised to have a lot of people who didn't speak Spanish at all......

Wyoming
Level Contributor
2,047 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Using Spanish?

You can use it as much as you want. In El Centro, you wouldn't need it, but you can use it. If you go into the Colonias you will be glad you have the knowledge. The locals really like any effort you make to speak their language!

Mentioned in this post
El Centro
El Centro
869 Reviews
Isla Mujeres, Mexico
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Using Spanish?

Just got back from Isla... Don't worry - few people can speak more than a very little English.

Texas
Level Contributor
354 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Using Spanish?

Have fun with your Spanish...the locals enjoy you making the effort. And remember most have limited English so most in depth conversations end up with both of you laughing....a universal lang.

Courtenay, Canada
Level Contributor
410 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Using Spanish?

I've been learning Spanish too and enjoyed practicing on Isla even with the waiters at the hotel who spoke fairly good English. They would help me get the right words or pronunciation and gently correct me if I didn't quite get it right. Sometimes there was giggling involved in our exchanges.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
65,433 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Using Spanish?

I used my Spanish all the time! You don't NEED to know a lot to manage but if you want to practice there will be lots of chances for you to do that.

Isla Mujeres, Mexico
Level Contributor
253 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Using Spanish?

I need my spanish and it has deserted me. Our landlord is helping me and we are taking a few lessons starting tomorrow but you can definitely use what you know! I agree that here they love it if you try to speak their language.

USA
Level Contributor
7,144 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Using Spanish?

And don't forget your French. I have found many people can speak it and it is taught in schools there.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,549 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Using Spanish?

No gracias !

Uno mas por favor !

Donde esta el bano ?

Quanto es ?

My 4 most used phrases !

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
42,994 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Using Spanish?

and la quenta por favor! I will never starve in Mexico, but someday I would really love to learn Spanish. :)

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Isla Mujeres, Mexico
Level Contributor
253 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Using Spanish?

Coalminer, next time you are in Isla, you can take lessons! There's a lady named Christy Dix who teaches all kinds of classes and lessons. We are meeting her tomorrow and will post more info but there was a thread about this the other day and she jumped in with her contact info...