We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do you have any tips for newcomers?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Isla Mujeres hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Imperial, Missouri
Level Contributor
65 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Do you have any tips for newcomers?

My family and I (2 adults, 15, 11) are staying at Casa Roca Caribe in June of this year. We have never been to Isla before and are accustomed to AI resorts. Does anyone have any helpful tips/hints to offer regarding safety, best eateries, etc?

Olathe, Kansas
Level Contributor
1,754 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Do you have any tips for newcomers?

Main tip - always drink bottled water. We have been traveling to Mexico since the early 80's and have never gotten sick except once when I overindulged. My bad. Enjoy yourself.

Isla Mujeres, Mexico
Level Contributor
250 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Do you have any tips for newcomers?

we eat pretty much everything also -- including from the street vendors, neighborhood restaurants in front of people's houses, and pastries from the guy who sells them out of the back of his car and haven't had a problem. I take a probiotic also but I do that at home too. I don't drink the tap water (but hubby brushes his teeth with it) and I even put limes in my beer sometimes even when I know I shouldn't.... be smart and you shouldn't have any issues...

TX
Level Contributor
5,621 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Do you have any tips for newcomers?

Holly, we stayed 2 weeks with Jimbo last summer and before we left had already booked our 2 weeks there for 2013. Definitely trust Jimbo's suggestions - he knows the island very well and will be a tremendous help to you during your stay. I think you're going to fall in love with Casa Roca Caribe. We certainly did!

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
120 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Do you have any tips for newcomers?

I'd like to add another vote for the probiotic/ acidophilus before & during the trip. It's a good idea all year, but it really does help keep everyone's insides happy while ingesting things out of your routine diet. Plus, you cannot OD on it. Three trips to Isla so far and only one bad stomach morning, either from over-indulgence or perhaps a salad ingredient, but we also eat everything from everywhere (especially if we witness a line of locals waiting for it!!) Also, I make sure & start an allergy med, like loratadine, about a week before the trip (and also during) as I find the different flora on the island can induce a runny nose or watery eyes if I don't prepare.

Looks like you have the MapChick map checked-off. I've not stayed at Casa Roca Caribe, but do trust everyone who says Jimbo will have you covered. In our times in Isla, we've found so many helpful people, who really love the place, many who moved there after years of loving the place, and all are truly pleased to impart their honest tips, suggestions, favorites and hidden gems.

When it comes to food, there's better-than-anticipated food all over the place, most places, in fact, but when checking out the restaurants on Hidalgo, don't forget to investigate the cross streets, as there are just as many finds (top-notch Cubanos, fish & chips & burgers, Mediterranean, French, it goes on) off the main drag. And if it's an especially hot June day or night, Rolandi's Pizza on Hidalgo has AC.

Probably the best suggestion I can give is to do like I did prior to our first trip, and that is to check out this Isla forum every day or two. You're likely to come across topics that you wouldn't have considered otherwise and there's a wealth of informed & generous people on here. They've helped me for years, now. Heck, I would have never realized my dream of a pulpo ceviche crawl without them!! ;)

Have fun getting ready & have an even better trip. Just be ready to start planning your next visit.

Council Bluffs, Iowa
Level Contributor
8 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Do you have any tips for newcomers?

a tip i got early on ..on trip 1..go to like GNC and buy grapefruit seed extract. take one before each meal. we did and never had any trouble at all!!!

Council Bluffs, Iowa
Level Contributor
8 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: Do you have any tips for newcomers?

go to Barlito's for breakfast. Their cinnamon roles are AWESOME and so is all of their other dishes. Tiffany is awesome.......i believe she said they were from NY....and then moved to Isla...

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
131 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Do you have any tips for newcomers?

Explore the island. North Beach was always a little too crowded for us. Beautiful but crowded. The island has a lot to offer outside of of North Beach.

18. Re: Do you have any tips for newcomers?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, January 15, 2014