We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rambling

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Wyoming
Level Contributor
2,042 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Rambling

Went to Bahia Tortuga last night to play poker. Great fun. Nice to see old friends and meet some new ones. I tried their chips and salsa. It was nice and fresh and the chips were good. The salsa could have used a little umph IMO. That with a diet coke was $70 pesos. The place was really nice. They had a big screen set up for the Alabama/ND game. There were quite a few watching it. I would assume they will have a superbowl party of sorts.

I noticed yesterday that the women were back to cleaning the streets again. This morning when I was walking on the path around Salina Grande there was a guy cleaning up there, too. I was glad to see that. Tomorrow, Thurs & Fri I am going to attend a Spanish Bootcamp. 3 hours each day dedicated to learning some basic Spanish. I am attending level I. There is also level II and level III. While I have learned some in the years I have been coming down, I find that I want to be able to communicate more with my local friends. The cost is $700 pesos for each session. I will let you know if it is worth it.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
914 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rambling

Hi Wyobean,

The spanish boot camp really interests me. I hope you enjoy it. I'm definitely interested in giving it a try!

Bahia Tortuga seems to be gaining an excellent following!

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
10,280 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rambling

I'm also interested in your reactions to the Spanish boot camp. We'd love to improve our Spanish but the options are limited: a Community Education class usually offers no more than about 10 sessions per semester and a full-fledged college class requires a bit more time and expense than we'd like. There's nothing in between.

Wyoming
Level Contributor
2,042 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rambling

I agree with you. I do not want to spend time everyday doing this. So, I thought the 3 day option was worth a try. I'd almost like to see a one day option. Anyway, I will let you know how it works for me.

Stow, Ohio
Level Contributor
155 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rambling

Yes, I'd be interested in your feedback on the bootcamp as well. I'm assuming it's being held on IM?

Isla Mujeres, Mexico
Level Contributor
251 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rambling

we are also interested in the spanish boot camp... yes, please do provide details and your experiences... THANKS!

okanagan
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Rambling

labound220@sbcglobal.net This is the email address of Christy Dix. She teaches all levels of spanish and does the boot camp and private lessons too. I have done both and recommend her highly. You won't be disappointed and yes, she lives on Isla and is an experienced teacher from the U.S. Good luck!

Isla Mujeres, Mexico
Level Contributor
251 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rambling

Muchas gracias!!!

Isla Mujeres, Mexico
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Rambling

Thank you for your interest in the Spanish Boot Camps that I offer in Isla Mujeres. I would be happy to communicate with you all directly to discuss what options that I offer (Boot Camps, private lessons, small group lessons or lessons via Skype) would work best for your situation, language level and availability. My email is Christy@ontargetlanguage.com, www.ontargetlanguage.com, US# 310-748-5435, MX # 998-136-1497. I look forward to helping you improve your Spanish skills!

¡Muchas gracias!

Wyoming
Level Contributor
2,042 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rambling

I will be sure and let all of you know how Boot Camp goes. Today we walked to El Centro. we were checking out phones. Sounds like there is one for about $350 pesos that will allow us to do our local calling. You just add money as you need it. But, of course they were out, so that will be another day.

Had to have lunch at Bally Hoo. Fish and chips.....just as good as I remember. I had the "Bally Hoo" Margarita. DH had a Pacifico.

Pacifico. $ 25

Margarita. $ 60

F & C. $ 80 x 2

Total. $245 pesos

Sitting with my DH, breeze blowin, fishing boats coming in, blue sky, white billowy clouds and 85 degrees.....priceless. Sorry, couldn't resist!

We exchanged money at the CIBanco. This is the one to the left of the ferry dock and across the street. We showed our passports and we will not have to take them back again. We will just need the piece of paper that they gave us. The rate was 12.10. When we got groceries at Chedraui the other day we got 12.50. If you want to get change back from a $100 bill you will have to purchase over $500 pesos worth of groceries.

They were really stocked up this afternoon....beautiful red, orange and yellow peppers, peanut butter, baby bananas and the sweetest globe grapes! But, they are NOT seedless.

My neighbor told me that Dona Marie had tamales tonight. Hope anyone that wanted them, got them. We will have to try that next Tuesday.

There was a thread about wind. It has been windy today, but it tamed the heat some. Tonight it is really windy, but again it feels great. The locals are probably wearing coats! LOL

Edited: 9:33 pm, January 08, 2013
Isla Mujeres, Mexico
Level Contributor
251 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rambling

Yes, there were tamales tonight...our neighbors were in line when we passed by on our way to dinner. Hope we will catch up with you soon!