We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A Gringo's guide to Isla eats?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Keller, Texas
Level Contributor
467 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
A Gringo's guide to Isla eats?

Looking for some ignorant white dude help here. We'd like to branch out and get more authentic on our trip coming up in a couple weeks. What I'm looking for is:

1. What to try

2. Where to try it

3. What exactly is it (spanish to english translation)

I'm thinking cazuealas, tixinxic, Poc Chuc, and cochinita pibil so far. I also heard mention (from Heather D) aboutget panuchos and salbutes but have no idea what they are.

Any insight would be appreciated. With 6 days on the isla we should have a good opportunity to try some fun stuff.

U.S.
Level Contributor
3,394 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A Gringo's guide to Isla eats?

I am also ashamed to plead ignorance here. (sadly!)

I too am interested in this thread!

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
20,176 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A Gringo's guide to Isla eats?

tikin xic is Maya style grilled fish. Typically they butterfly it, marinate it in achiote paste and spices then grill it, preferably over an open fire. We had it for two at Brisas Grill and it was fantastic. Nice grilled veggies along with it too.

Cazuelas are an egg-based breakfast dish baked in a casserole. Could contain any number of things, veggies, cheese, etc. M & J Cazuelas is known for them.

Poc Chuc is very thin pork cutlet marinated in sour orange juice and spices then grilled. El Poc Chuc in Centro has a good version though someone recently said it was dry.

Cochinita pibil is their version of pulled pork. Marinated and cooked in banana leaves until the pork falls apart. Usually served with pickled onions. The market has some of the best according to DM and others.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,259 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A Gringo's guide to Isla eats?

marquesita! Add those to your list of food items to try - available on food carts around town . . . my favorite is nutella and carmel! :)

Keller, Texas
Level Contributor
467 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A Gringo's guide to Isla eats?

And what exactly is a Marquesita? Remember...this is the ignorant gringo guide. Assume we dont know what things are :)

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
35 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A Gringo's guide to Isla eats?

OH, Go to La Bruja and get their Sopes. They are thick corn masa with sauce and meat on them. I'm dreaming about their Sopes now. I also liked their Fish Veracruz and the Quesa Fundido con Chorizo. La Bruja gets mixed reviews, but we were going back a second time and they were closed...;-(

Plattsmouth...
Level Contributor
2,147 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A Gringo's guide to Isla eats?

Nashty, the poc chuc that we had(3 of us) at poc chuc was not dry at all. However, my manfriend ordered it a la lomita and it was the nastiest looking thing I 've ever seen. I would never have tried it if I ' d ordered it there.

Marquesitas are made from a crepe-like batter cooked until crispy and then rolled up with filling. Yummy.

Check my reviews of Compadres (at Bucaneros hotel) for photos and descriptions of cazuelas. They are big and very filling there.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,259 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A Gringo's guide to Isla eats?

A marquesita looks like crepe, but it is crunchy like a fortune cookie - warm and oh so good! They have a variety of toppings - so do try them after you have had dinner some night. This is via a street cart vendor by the way - you will see them set up, usually with a long line because they are popular.

Some of my other favorite Mexican food things - no translation necessary I think. Divorced eggs - many places serve them - fried egg on corn toritilla - one with red sauce/one with green and oh so delicious! You can safely be adventurous on Isla - I have yet to have a bad meal there. Enjoy! :)

Edited: 2:33 pm, December 04, 2012
Plattsmouth...
Level Contributor
2,147 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A Gringo's guide to Isla eats?

I also loved huevos motulenos at any of the loncherias. It's a fried eggs atop a crispy tortilla with beans and ranchero sauce.

here is a very entertaining article about panuchos

yucatanliving.com/food/how-to-make-panuchos-…

There were several vendors selling marquesitas across from Posada del Mar in January.

Ontario
Level Contributor
7,287 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A Gringo's guide to Isla eats?

I love the bbq chicken at the Rosticerias..100 pesos for a family meal.

The yucatan pork at La Lomita was delicious..huge meal for 50 pesos and 20 pesos beers in a frosty mug.

Poc Chuc the restaurant (not the loncheria) it was me that had the dry poc chuc...don't know what happened but I'd try other food from them and maybe even poc chuc again.

There's also flan from the lady by the Super Xpress (but there's an even more famous lady with flan by La Lomita and Ricky from Pita Amore apparently has a pretty mean flan).

Edited: 3:01 pm, December 04, 2012
Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
10,406 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A Gringo's guide to Isla eats?

Huevos Motulenos also have ham and peas (I know, peas--but it works!) and have become one of my favorite breakfasts. In fact, breakfast may be my favorite meal in Mexico. Here's a look at the huevos motulenos served at Alexia y Geovanny, one of the 4 "loncherias" at the mercado on Guerrero:

…photobucket.com/albums/…Isla099.jpg

The aforementioned "divorced eggs" have that name because each has gone their own way when it comes to sauce, one with red and the other green. You'll see them listed as "huevos divorciados" on menus:

…photobucket.com/albums/…Isla098.jpg

While sitting on Playa Norte, be sure to try the pepitas (pumpkin seeds) sold by Maria Lopez. Here's her picture and her pepitas, which are great alongside a cold beer. Just squeeze some lime on them:

…photobucket.com/albums/…Isla112.jpg

…photobucket.com/albums/…Isla113.jpg

TNY mentioned the cochinita pibil. You can buy it at the mercado on Sunday mornings only. Here it is after we reheated it in our condo:

…photobucket.com/albums/…Isla122.jpg

I'm going to assume you may also be new to ceviche, which is seafood marinated in lime juice, which "cooks" it (actually, more like pickling it). Another great appetizer, especially at any of the seafood places along the waterfront. As you can tell, we were so anxious to dig in that we started eating before I could snap a shot:

…photobucket.com/albums/…Isla145.jpg

I'm sure you know what fish tacos are, but don't miss the version served at Bally-Hoo. Perhaps my favorite dish on the island:

…photobucket.com/albums/…Isla209.jpg

Here's the tikinxic served at Casa del Tikinxic at Playa Lancheros:

…photobucket.com/albums/…Isla366.jpg

Here is one of the cazuelas served at La Cazuela M&J. "Cazuela" is the name for both the earthen dish and the food cooked in it, much like we use the term "casserole:"

…photobucket.com/albums/…Cozakumisla867.jpg

If you see something served with "mojo de ajo," that's a garlic sauce. Here are the shrimp in mojo de ajo at Basto's Grill in La Gloria:

…photobucket.com/albums/…Cozakumisla825.jpg

Have you ever had a Cuban Sandwich? It has roast pork and ham--you gotta love a sandwich with a pair of porcine products. Here is the Cuban and the "Toston" (chicken served on fried plantains instead of bread) at Qubano:

…photobucket.com/albums/…Isla470.jpg

There are plenty of other great dishes served on Isla that will need no explanation: the pork chop at Fredy's, the paninis at Barlito, etc. Have fun eating your way around the island!