We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Have you ever missed your transfer?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
118 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Have you ever missed your transfer?

I ask because we have the number if we are running behind, but our cells wont work there and if we have to call im hoping they still have pay phones! And another thing, do they calculate the time you spend having to go thru customs and (hopefully not) if you have to get your stuff searched?

Appleton, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
665 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Have you ever missed your transfer?

If you are using one of the private transfer services you will not miss it. We have been delayed 5-6 hours due to maintenance on the plane and they are still waiting there for us. We use Cancun Valet and never had a problem. If you use a bigger service like Apple or Funjet - they will just stick you on another huge bus that is going - those take forever to leave.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
24,042 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Have you ever missed your transfer?

I don't know which company but I'm pretty confident that ALL transfer companies monitor flight arrivals and they know when Customs & Immigration are backed up. Remember, this isn't the first time they've done this!

I don't know which company you're using but USA Transfers (aka Entertainment Plus) provide you with a toll-free number to use in the unlikely event you are unable to find their rep at the airport. I'm pretty sure I remember seeing pay phone at the airport too, so no worries there.

FWIW, one of my first times to Cancun, I was using Cancun Valet. When we landed (about 30 mins late), it was absolutely pouring rain (and I mean POURING) in Cancun. It took us about another hour to get through Customs & Immigration so by the time we made it outside to where our driver was waiting, we were running over 90 minutes later ...... but our driver was still there.

As for the extra time it takes to search your stuff if you get the red light at Customs, we're talking a VERY quick, pretty cursory hand search. I've been through it before and it took longer to find a pair of scissors to cut of the cable tie on the suitcase zipper than it did for them to perform the actual search. Even then, the whole "ordeal" took about three minutes total.

Just remember that your transfer will be waiting for you OUTSIDE the airport in the fresh air. Anyone you encounter in the room directly after the Customs red light/green light area is selling timeshare; don't fall for their BS!

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,585 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Have you ever missed your transfer?

Our very first time flying to Isla, most of our luggage was lost . . . and we were very delayed getting out of the airport as we had to fill out paperwork and all that. I just went to where the Best Day reps were waiting and they could see we had a reservation, and it was NO problem at all. I was worried, but it wasn't a problem at all. You should be fine. :)

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
315 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Have you ever missed your transfer?

I second and third everyone's comments, I was once trying to get to Coz and my flight was cancelled. I got the airline to send me to Cancun so I could get down to PDC and take the ferry over. I figured I would have to grab a cab from the Cancun airport down to PDC, but when I walked out of the airport, Best Day was looking for me to take me down there. I had to pay a bit extra because I had actually only paid them for a van trip from the Coz airport to my Coz hotel...but they were ther for me nonetheless.

And on top of that...they were at the Coz ferry to take me to my hotel when I finally got over there. All of the transport companies work so hard to communicate and make your arrival stress free.

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
118 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Have you ever missed your transfer?

Thank you for the reassurance, we are using USA. I think the transfer was the last thing for me to worry about!

New Carlisle, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,169 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Have you ever missed your transfer?

Not once in 7 IM trips.

Relax and enjoy.

Stillwater...
Level Contributor
873 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Have you ever missed your transfer?

We have only used Best Day, so I can't speak for the rest. No matter how close or distant we are from our scheduled time of arrival, Best Day is there waiting for us. The same thing is true on the departure - we have never had to wait more than a few minutes for our van back to the airport. No need to worry!

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
43,669 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Have you ever missed your transfer?

All the main transfer companies are at the airport ALL THE TIME, just not for your fare

There are dedicated greeters from each company - no need for a pay phone

9. Re: Have you ever missed your transfer?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:21 am, November 22, 2013